85. The Price of Peace

"Dioleh, what is it?" Draco asked. But she was frozen, her cheeks deathly pale as she took in the scene before her. Andre and Imani had also frozen. Moving forward, Draco finally saw what was distressing them. There in the water, a siren, far older than them, was suspended in the water. Her eyes were closed and her tale was tied to the bottom, keeping her underwater. Her cheeks were slightly hollow and waxy-looking.

Dioleh let out a small sob as she covered her mouth with her hands. "Mama," she whispered in Mermish. Draco and Blaise looked at her with confusion as neither of them could understand her. Andre and Imani's heads snapped toward the figure, studying her again. "Mama!" she cried again, her eyes filled with tears. "Wake up," Dioleh said desperately.

"Dioleh," Andre said quietly, his tone sympathetic. "She isn't alive."

"No! She's right there!" Dioleh cried, gesturing to the form. Draco took a step forward again, his brows furrowing as he studied the figure. It was then that he noticed the blue pearl hanging at her neck and the dark purple hair.

"Dioleh is that-" he began hesitantly. Andre nodded with a dark expression on his face.

"They've been using them," Imani said, looking from Alurina to the other sirens. Each body had black marks covering their bodies. "They're testing the potion on them to see what it will do to our bodies."

"But how do they have Alurina?" Imani asked, turning to look at Andre. "She's been dead for eleven years."

Andre paled. "They've been working on this for a long time. Imani, the plagues." Her eyes widened. "The sickness."

"That's why there were massacres," Imani whispered in horror.

Dioleh tore her eyes from her mother as she said, "When I was a child, MACUSA and the British Ministry were on the brink of war."

"There was never a war," Draco said in confusion. "I never even heard of any fighting."

Paling another shade, Dioleh said, "There wouldn't have been. Not after ninety-nine percent of a siren tribe was delivered to England's doorstep."

"Ay, Dios mío," Andre whispered breathily. He felt like he was going to be sick. "Magical organizations have been using our people to sign peace treaties."

Glancing at his watch, Blaise said, "We only have another four hours. We don't want to still be here talking when the guard wakes up."

"He's right," Draco said.

"Lead the way," Andre said, his voice firm although he looked close to fainting. Blaise moved along the wall to the far side with the others following along until they came to a tiny dent. Pointing his wand at it, Blaise muttered a spell under his breath. Before them, light flashed, revealing the shape of a door. Blaise stepped back, allowing Andre and Imani to go in first. Dioleh quickly followed.

"My father said it's in the safe," Imani whispered. After some thorough searching, they found it and quickly withdrew several vials.

"They perfected it," Andre said, taking some from Imani.

"Give them to me," Draco said, pulling from his pocket a bag. From the small thing, he withdrew a large box and quickly opened it. It was specifically designed to hold test tubes. "It's too much of a risk it will break and touch your skin." Andre and Imani quickly obliged and Draco stashed the box away.

"Now we need to find all their research," Dioleh said, stepping forward to the file cabinet. Opening a drawer, she quickly read over the names of files before finally finding the right section. It ended up being close to eight files and they quickly got these piled to be stashed in Draco's bag as well.

"Is that all of it?" Imani asked anxiously.

"Even if it isn't, it needs to be," Blaise said, glancing at his watch again. "Two hours left."

"Imani, even if it isn't all of it, it's enough," Dioleh said.

"Wait," Draco said. "Don't take the files."

"Are you crazy?!"

"Did you not see what they're going to do?"

"Come on!"

"No, hear me out," Draco interrupted. "Don't take them. Change them. This can't take any short amount of time to make. Change some of the ingredients and instructions and leave them."

"We don't have time," Blaise protested, glancing at his watch again. After a bit more bickering, they finally convinced everyone to leave, with the files, and sealed the door behind them.

As they neared the still-open door, Blaise warned, "We don't shut that door until I've pointed out the one we exit by. Andre, keep an eye on the right one. They won't let us open two doors at once." Everyone nodded. After thinking a moment, Blaise pointed out the correct one and soon Draco moved to shut the door before catching Dioleh staring at the figure with the purple hair. He paused a moment, giving her time before she nodded. He closed the door and the room began once again to spin as a single tear left Dioleh's eye. She quickly wiped it from sight and Draco looked away, giving her a moment to gather herself again.

Once the room had stopped, Andre pointed out the door and Blaise went towards it, stopping to listen by the door. Finally deciding it was all right, he opened the it. Just as the door had swung open, a huge snake lurched forward, digging its fangs into the man in front of them. Dioleh screamed. On instinct, Draco rushed forward, covering her mouth with his hand and pulling her out of sight, her back against his chest. Dioleh was breathing shakily against Draco's hand, flinching as they heard the snake attack again and again and again. Then there was silence.

Draco lowered his hand. Blaise watched as the snake turned its head, focusing on their little group, the thick coils of its body forming beneath it as if it was going to spring to action at any moment. Then, it lunged.

Miles away, Harry awoke with a panicked cry, his eyes wide.