69. Perfect Prefect

After saying goodbye to the Weasleys and everyone else, even dog-form Sirius, Dioleh, Imani, and Andre boarded the train. After saying goodbye to Imani, the two Prefects headed up to the front compartment reserved for them. Inside, they found, to Andre's great relief, Padma, Ernie Macmillian, and Hannah Abbott. Andre took his seat by Padma while Dioleh sat across from him by the window to wait for the last Prefect and the Head Boy and Girl. 

The compartment door slid open and Dioleh saw the same smirk she had always hated on her little blond ferret. "Hello, love," he said in surprise, sitting down next to her. 

"Dray," she replied, shooting a glare at Andre as he smirked. Lowering her voice, she said, "I need to talk to you." 

"What about?" he asked, just as quietly. 

"You'll find out," Dioleh said. 

With a playful glare, he said, "That fills me with dread." 

"Good," she chuckled. He smiled, looking up as the compartment door opened again. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

After receiving instructions from the Head Boy and Girl, Dioleh and Draco separated from the rest to patrol the train. Once they were out of earshot of anyone else, Draco asked, "Okay, what did you want to talk about, love?" 

Biting her lip, she stopped and face him before she said, "I can't do this." 

Brows furrowed, he said, "Do what? Be a Prefect? It's not that hard." 

"No, I mean...Dray," Dioleh lowered her voice to a whisper as she explained, "I can't lie to everyone. I care about you a lot, but...I don't want to be with you until we're both in a place where we can do so without their judgment. Don't hate me, I just-" 

"Dioleh," Draco interrupted. She stopped, searching his expression for any sign of hurt or anger. Grabbing her hand, he pulled her to the back of the train car and away from the compartment windows. "First of all, I could never hate you. Second, I've waited four years, what's a few more." Dioleh blushed, nervously tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. 

"Thank you," she said. 

"So friends for now?" Draco said with a smile. 

"For now," Dioleh agreed. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

"Well there are two fifth-year prefects from each house," Hermione explained as she and Ron joined Harry in his compartment with Luna Lovegood, Imani, Ginny, and Neville. "Boy and girl from each." 

"And guess who's the other Slytherin Prefect?" Ron said irritably. 

"Malfoy," Harry groaned. 

"At least he's with Dioleh," Hermione said irritably. "Maybe she can keep him in line." 

"Doubt it," Ron said. 

"Who's Hufflepuff?" Harry asked. 

"Ernie Macmillan and Hannah Abbott," Ron explained. 

"And Andre and Padma Patil for Ravenclaw," Hermione said. 

"You went to the Yule Ball with Padma Patil," Luna said, looking at Ron. 

"Yeah, I know I did," Ron replied. 

"She didn't enjoy it much," Luna revealed before going back behind her magazine. Ginny was stifling giggles. 

"We're supposed to patrol the corridors every so often," Ron said, shaking off his confusion with Luna and checking his watch. "And we can give out punishments if people are misbehaving. I can't wait to get Crabbe and Goyle for something." 

"You're not supposed to abuse your position, Ron!" Hermione scolded. 

"Yeah, right, because Malfoy won't abuse it at all," Ron said sarcastically. 

"So you're going to descend to his level?" 

Smirking, Imani looked up from her book and said, "Weren't you the one who was just saying Dioleh's going to keep him in line?" 

"Well, I-" she sputtered, her face very red. "Oh come on, even she can't make him completely change." 

"She doesn't make him do anything," Imani countered. "She just doesn't put up with him being a prat. There's a difference." Smirking, she said, "Something tells me he'll be more eager to get her to like him right now." 

Looking utterly perplexed, Hermione said, "What? Why?" Ignoring the many confused looks in the compartment, Imani merely shrugged with a knowing smirk on her face and turned back to her book. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Despite Dioleh's fears of their relationship becoming awkward, she found herself just as occupied with laughter and teasing as she ever had before. As they did their patrol, they went back and forth talking about book after book that she had either sent him or he had gotten himself. Their cheeks were flushed with mirth and their eyes with happiness. For one blissful moment, Dioleh forgot. She forgot they were on opposite sides of a war, she forgot there was a meeting in the coming months to talk about killing her, she forgot about Voldemort, and she forgot about why friendship with this boy was dangerous. For a single moment, they were just two people on a train and nothing more. 

"What do you mean the ending was too happy?" Dioleh laughed. "It's a children's series! What did you want? For them all to die?" 

"Yes!" he countered. "Where's the fun if no one dies?" 

"Caspian died!" Dioleh countered. 

"Oh, okay," Draco said, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Yeah, he died of old age but only to reappear again in the same book for a final scene and to appear again in the final book." 

"You're just salty I made you read a book that wasn't Stephen King," Dioleh accused. 

"No," he protested. 

"Sure," she chuckled. "Whatever you say, darling." 

"Ouch," Draco said, placing his hand on his heart and faking hurt. "Is that..." He moved his hand to tap his ear. "Patronization I hear?" 

"How darest thou," Dioleh gasped dramatically, rounding on him, hand on her heart. "You darest accusith me of such a crime?" 

"Me thinks I do," he said, playing along. 

"No faith in me," Dioleh sighed, tsking softly as she resumed their walk along the train before breaking into a hearty laugh.