93. The Precipice

"Excuse me!" a high-pitched voice snapped. Draco and Dioleh pulled apart, looking over to find a fuming Umbridge clad in a feather-covered pink coat that made her look rather like a flamingo. Draco and Dioleh exchanged looks as the woman stormed towards them. Drawing in a deep breath, Draco interlaced his fingers with Dioleh's anxiously as she stepped slightly in front of him. 

"Yes?" Dioleh said with a raised eyebrow. 

"Public displays of affection are not allowed!" she retorted, stumbling slightly over a root hidden from sight by the snow. 

"We're on the grounds and no one was here until you showed up," Draco snapped back. 

"Twenty points from Slytherin for disrespect!" Umbridge shrieked. "Thirty more for breaking schools rules." Dioleh rolled her eyes. "Ten more for disrespect." Raising a warning finger, she snapped, "Don't make me give out detentions. Now, don't let me catch you again." 

"We won't," Draco said, but there was such a tone of arrogance to his words that she narrowed her eyes at him. When she had finally stormed off, Draco joked, "I say we make out in her office just to piss her off." A deep blush spread across Dioleh's cheeks as she let out a laugh, turning back to face him. 

"We should probably head in," she said, but she was still grinning happily. 

As they walked back towards the school, Draco remarked, "You know, there's a Hogsmade trip soon." Dioleh hummed in reply, curious as to where he was going with the comment. "I want to take you on a proper date." Dioleh blushed, biting her bottom lip to try and hide it. 

Once she had calmed slightly, she replied, "I'd really like that, Dray." 

Grinning, he said, "Good. So, Hogsmaede work for you?" 

"Sounds great, Dray," Dioleh said, kissing his cheek. With a bright smile, he kissed her forehead as they passed into the school. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Draco looked paler than usual as he took a seat next to Dioleh and across from Blaise the following morning at breakfast. "What's up with you?" Blaise asked, his brows furrowed. Dioleh was the first to notice the newspaper clasped tightly in his grip. Taking it from him, she opened to the front page. Her eyes widening, she gasped. 

Looking up at Draco, she said, "This can't be real." 

Andre, who had just joined them with Imani, frowned as he asked, "What happened?" 

"Ten Death Eaters have escaped from Azkaban," Draco explained. "Including my aunt." 

"What?" Dioleh  said, glancing at him before scanning over the names. Just loud enough for them all to hear, she remarked, "Antonin Dolohov, Augustus Rookwood, and Bellatrix Lestrange are the only ones listed." 

His eyes wide, Blaise cried, "Lestrange escaped? She's a psycho." 

Sarcasically, Draco narrowed his eyes at him as he said, "Yeah, thanks." 

"She's your aunt?" Imani clarified calmly. Draco nodded. 

"One of my mum's two sisters," he explained. 

"What did Fudge have to say about it?" Andre asked. 

Scanning the page, Dioleh read, "'We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Sirius Black escaped,' said Fudge last night. 'Nor do we think the two breakouts are unrelated. An escape of this magnitude suggests outside help, and we must remember that Black, as the first person ever to break out of Azkaban, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Black's cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, have rallied around Black as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached.'" 

"Typical," Blaise muttered. Draco took the paper back, scanning through the rest of the pages. 

"Anything else of interest?" Dioleh asked, serving herself some toast. 

"No," Draco sighed, rolling up the paper and setting it aside as he got himself food. 

As he ate, Dioleh reached for the paper before a voice behind her snapped, "If the two of you are incapable of maintaining an appropriate distance, I may have to take away your prefect badges." Draco paused, an expression of pure perplexity contorting his features as he and Dioleh turned to face Umbridge. 

"Professor-" Dioleh began in confusion. 

"Have you not seen Educational Degree Number Twenty-Six?" she snapped, raising her eyebrows expectantly. Draco and Dioleh shared confused looks as she explained venemously, "Boys and girls are not to be within six inches of each other." 

Clearing her throat, Dioleh snapped, "Forgive me, your majesty." As soon as the words had left her mouth, Dioleh felt the sharp sting of Umbridge's many rings as she backhanded her across the face. 

Jumping to his feet, Draco threatened, "Touch her one more time. I dare you." 

"Draco," Dioleh cried warningly. Glancing at the staff table, she saw that the situation was gaining attention not only from Professor McGonagall but also Professor Dumbledore. Harshly, she grabbed his hand, yanking him back to sit beside her. Under her breath, she whispered, "Do you really want to end up in detention with her?" 

"Is there a problem, Dolores?" McGonagall inquired, looking between Draco's fuming expression, Dioleh's anxious one, and Umbridge's one of careful calculation. 

Letting out a sharp breath, Umbridge replied, "Yes. I must say, the state of Hogwarts discipline is in a most wretched state indeed." McGonagall narrowed her eyes as she saw Dioleh gently put pressure on a very red part of her cheek. 

"I see," she said cautiously. "And how exactly are you handling this?" 

"I want her badge taken from her," Umbridge fumed. 

"Unfortunatly, that is not your decision to make," McGonagall replied cooly. "If you wish for the removal of her responsibilities and title, you must make your case to Professor Snape and Professor Dumbledore. Only if they are both in agreement can it be removed." Her jaw clenching, Umbridge stormed away. As soon as she was gone, McGonagall gently grabbed onto Dioleh and pulled her behind her out of the Great Hall. Once they were safely in her office, McGonagall rounded on her with wide eyes before demanding anxiously, "What happened?" 

"I don't know!" Dioleh cried defensively. "She has this weird fixation on my relationship with Draco. This is the second time in the past two days she's gotten onto us about PDA." 

"For valid reasons?" McGonagall asked with raised brows. 

"I could understand an argument for the first time but not this morning," Dioleh explained. "We were sitting next to each other and I was reaching for the newspaper next to him. We weren't even touching." 

"Ms Granger, this is very important. Can you think of any possible reason she might have this fixation particularly on the two of you?" McGonagall asked. Dioleh thought a moment before suddenly everything clicked into place. She tried to assault Draco and now is suddenly forcing all her attention on him and the person he, in her mind, is getting what she deserves. However, all she said was, "No, Professor. We did nothing to her." 

"Keep a detailed list of every time and every circumstance she repremands you for including what exactly the two of you were doing," McGonagall ordered. "If it becomes harassment, take the documentation to Dumbledore. I promise that if it is necessary, I will give my opinion on the matter." 

"Professor," Dioleh said quietly. "How bad is this?" 

"I can't say yet, but watch her, Dioleh," McGonagall warned. "One wrong move and you may find yourself toppling over a cliff you can't climb back up."