172. The Marlow Trial

The harsh banging of a gavel reached Dioleh's ears as she looked up hazily. Dark circles surrounded her eyes and she was significantly thinner than she had been at the Battle of Hogwarts. "We are here to present the case of Dioleh Marlow," the prosecutor said. "Dioleh has fully admitted and we have sufficient evidence to prove she is, indeed, a siren."

"What precautionary measures have been taken?" the judge asked, looking up from his notes.

"No food for the last three days and a double dosage of Ketamine every hour," the prosecutor explained.

"Defence?" the judge said.

"We would like to put forth that Dioleh does not deserve to die because of her contributions to ending the war and that she has never proven dangerous," he said. "We have, er, witnesses."

"Very well, then, present you first witness," the judge said boredly. Dioleh closed her eyes. Everything was hazy to her now.

"The court calls to the stand, Hermione Jean Granger," the defence called. Dioleh willed her eyes open to see Hermione step forward and stand before Dioleh in her cage.

"Explain why you believe this abomination deserves freedom?" the judge said monotonously.

"Dioleh may be a siren, but she is also my sister," Hermione said. "She fought alongside me and my friends during the war against Voldemort. She has been loyal to me and she fought even when Voldemort was threatening her life. He wanted her to fight for him, but she refused time and time again. She has done more to defeat Voldemort than every one of you in this room."

"Enough," the prosecution snapped. "Dioleh Marlow is associated with a Death Eater."

"A Death Eater who escaped Voldemort and ran away!" Hermione shouted. "Draco Malfoy fought against Voldemort from the moment he ran to the moment Voldemort died!"

"This is not the trial of Draco Malfoy," the judge interrupted. "If that is all the defence has as evidence then-"

"No," the defence said quickly. "We also call Harry Potter to the stand." Instantly the crowd began murmuring. Harry, still scarred from the battle, appeared dressed neatly and impressively and stood next to Hermione.

Clearing his throat, Harry said, "I came to Dioleh at the end of sixth year and asked her if she would help me find all of Voldemort's Horcruxes. She did not hesitate a moment before she said she would. Dioleh spent all of her seventh year running and hiding from Voldemort because he wanted her dead, he believed her to be dead. Then, when we were all captured and taken to Malfoy Manor, she was tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange. If you cared to look, you would see that she still has cuts all over her torso from Bellatrix's work. Despite that and the continual use of the Cruciatus Curse, Dioleh still saved us and gave nothing up. She would have been willing to die to save all of us. Siren or not, she is a hero. They are all heroes."

Glancing back at Dioleh, Harry said, "You have imprisoned three sirens, a reformed Death Eater, and a good friend and punished them all for being heroes. It's curious, isn't it, that Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and I are heralded as heroes while our closest friends who fought as hard, if not harder than we did, are called villains and put in chains. You imprison them on charges of being a Death Eater, of being a siren, and of harbouring fugitives, but if those are the crimes worthy of imprisonment, then arrest me."

Instantly, there was a harsh gasp from the entire room. "I knew what Dioleh, Andre, and Imani were for years and I never turned them in. Hermione and Ron knew as well. In fact, we knew longer than Blaise Zabini or Draco Malfoy did. Draco, Blaise, Andre, Imani, and Dioleh are heroes. Imani was held prisoner and never gave us up. Dioleh was tortured. Blaise gave up everything and Draco risked his life in his attempt to escape. So, either charge them and arrest me, Hermione, and Ron, or release them all."

The judge remained silent, chewing his inner cheek as he stared at Harry, considering. Finally, he drew in a breath, and said, "We shall need to convene to discuss. Take her back to Azkaban in the meantime." Dioleh was unresponsive as the cage was opened and she was dragged out.

When she had eventually been tossed in her cell, she was still barely conscious. In the cell next to her, Draco quickly rushed towards the bars between them. "Dioleh," he called. The only response was a small groan. Although the dementors of Azkaban had been replaced, the bitter chill of the place remained and any strength Dioleh had was gone.

From beyond Draco, Imani asked slightly hazily, "Draco, how did she say it went?"

"She's not responding," he replied. "They must have heightened her dosage." Imani sighed, closing her own eyes. Blaise in the cell next to her was glowering. All five of them had dark circles now but behind the grey, a harsh glare glittered. Beyond Blaise's cell, Andre lay completely conscious.

"This is so stupid," Imani said bitterly.

"Tell Pretty Boy Potter that," Blaise snapped. "You'd think that after becoming everyone's hero, he'd be able to do something about this."

"Blaise," Draco sighed. "We don't know what's happening on the outside. Harry could have a perfectly reasonable explanation for being unable to help."

"Yeah, sure," Blaise scoffed. "Keep telling yourself that. You notice how bogus our charges are? Harbouring fugitives." Blaise snorted humourlessly.

"Yours might be bogus, but mine seems pretty solid," Draco replied with a frown. "They're wrong in that I was still loyal, but I do still happen to be a Death Eater."

"Maybe, but the other three?" Blaise said bitterly. "Yeah sorry, you guys exist. We hate you by proxy." Draco shrugged but did not respond as the sound of footsteps reached their ears and a guard appeared in front of Draco's cell.

"Get up," he snapped. "Face the wall, hands in the air. Now!" Without complaint, Draco got to his feet and did as he was told. Grabbing onto his hands harshly, the guard bound his hands in chains and pulled him from his cell.