51. The Second Task

Several months passed since the Yule Ball and aside from the fact that Dioleh and Draco hadn't spoken since, everything was back to normal. Imani, Dioleh, and Andre were just heading back into the castle when Harry rushed up to them with Hermione and Ron behind him. "I need your help," he said. Sharing confused looks, the three followed after him into the library. Quietly, he explained, "The second task is in the lake. I have to retrieve something from it in an hour or I won't get it back. Have any of you any idea how a wizard could hold their breath underwater for an hour?"

"Gillyweed," Imani said at once. "The problem is, I don't know where to find it."

"I do," Dioleh said. "Alright, I'll get the gillyweed, the two of you teach him as much as you can about the lake." Imani and Andre nodded and Dioleh went into the kitchens. "Dobby?" she called.

Said house-elf appeared, crying, "Here, miss."

"Hey, Dobby," she said with a smile. "Would you do something for me? It's to help Harry Potter."

"Of course, miss," he replied excitedly.

"Alright, this is what you need to do..."

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

"Here," Dioleh said, handing Harry a small jar with the slimy plant. "You just need to eat it right before you go into the lake."

"Brilliant," he said, taking it from her. "Ron and Hermione got called to McGonagall's office so it's just the four of us left." Dioleh nodded. She sat down next to Imani as Harry asked, "So, you said Grindylow are friendly so I don't need to worry about them?"

"No," Dioleh said. "They're friendly to us. They'll eat you alive." Harry winced. "Go to the bottom of the lake in the deepest parts. That's where whatever it is will be."

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The morning of the second task, the three sirens were up early and quickly went down into the lake. They met up in their hideout to talk first. "Okay, we can't be seen by anyone other than Harry or one of the other merpeople," Andre said.

"We know, Andre," Imani said. "We'll be careful, don't worry." He sighed.

"All right then," he said. "Let's go." Each of them dove into the water before going down to the entrance to look out and wait for it to begin. Soon, a huge gong rang out and there was a splash from a few feet away. Each siren backed up a bit, lowering more into the rocks as they watched each champion set out. Harry was the last one but Dioleh could see that the gillyweed was working.

Cedric and Fleur were using the bubble-head charm, but they didn't have fins like Harry so they wouldn't be as fast. Krum, however, was partially transfigured into a shark. Also not very fast. Harry spotted them, gave them a small wave, and set off.

"Dioleh, you blend in best," Andre said quietly. "You should go after him and make sure he's alright." She nodded and moved forward in the water, staying by the ground and in the seaweed when she could. In this manner, she followed after Harry through the lake. He had little trouble as he went through apart from some Grindylow which Dioleh quickly called to her. Harry looked back, smiling in thanks, and went off again. Once he got to the centre, Dioleh left, heading back out of sight.

"He got to the centre," she explained. "He'll be out of there any moment now."

"Good," Imani said. The three got out and soon joined the other students in heading back to the school. On the way there, Dioleh spotted Draco. She sighed, anger flaring in her chest as she pushed past him.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

"Dioleh," Harry said, sitting next to her in the library.

Looking up from her book, she replied, "Hey."

"Hey, er, I wanted to talk to you about something," he admitted.

Placing a bookmark in her book, Dioleh replied, "All right, what is it?"

"Erm," he began, fidgeting with his hands nervously. "I was going to tell you at the Yule Ball, but Malfoy-" Dioleh rolled her eyes, not wanting to be reminded of that night. "Er, anyway, I didn't get a chance, but erm...I-I like you, Dioleh, quite a lot, actually."

"O-Oh?" Dioleh replied awkwardly, her cheeks flaming. "Uh, Harry I...I'm deeply flattered, but I-"

"Nevermind then," he said quickly, getting up. Before she could say a word, he dashed off. With a groan, Dioleh lay her head down on her book and sighed.

"Dioleh, what's wrong?" Hermione asked, appearing from behind one of the bookshelves and taking the seat Harry had just vacated.

"Harry just told me he likes me," she said.

"What?" Hermione gasped. "What did you tell him?"

"Just that I'm flattered but...I don't like him like that, Hermione," Dioleh admitted. "I don't even know if I want to stay here for the long-term."

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked with furrowed brows.

"Just that...I don't know if I want to live on land forever," she explained. "And if I go back to living with a tribe, I would have to marry someone in that tribe. It's tradition, especially when you are brought into a tribe. I just don't see the point of dating or falling in love with someone I can never truly have."

"But you could," Hermione said.

"I don't know what I want yet," Dioleh said. "I just...I can't give up who I am. I will always be a siren and I don't think that's something Harry could ever really understand."

"I'm sure he'll get over it," Hermione replied. "Just give him time."