118. A Black Hole

Draco's heart pounded in his chest as he stepped in front of Malfoy Manor for the first time since Christmas Break. He knew what waited for him inside but it did not make him feel any less anxious. Drawing in a deep breath, he placed his hand on the door handle and turned it. Pulling his trunk inside, he heard voices in the living room. Setting aside his things, he called, "Mum?" Instead of the fair-haired Narcissa, a dark-haired woman appeared in the doorway leading to the living room.

"Ah, you must be Draco," she cooed, striding forward. "I haven't seen you since you were an infant."

"Aunt Bellatrix, I assume," he said uncertainly.

"The Dark Lord is waiting for you," she said, turning and striding back into the room. Draco hesitated the briefest instant before swallowing nervously and walking into the room. Voldemort sat in a tall, imposing chair in which Draco usually saw his father. To his right was Narcissa, her eyes trained to the ground nervously, and to his left now was Bellatrix.

Swallowing dryly and giving a little bow, Draco said in a quiet voice, "My lord."

"Ah, Draco," Voldemort said. His cruel eyes were trained on him with such intensity that Draco felt rather as though he should be swallowed up into the flooring. "I hear you have made no progress in identifying the siren at Hogwarts but it is no matter." Draco frowned.

"My lord?" he replied questioningly. Voldemort rose to his feet. Draco swallowed again, averting his gaze to the floor. Upon reaching him, Voldemort quickly backhanded Draco across the face. Narcissa let out a cry and quickly covered her mouth to muffle the noise.

"You lied to me, Draco," Voldemort whispered. Narcissa was shaking. Voldemort drew closer. "Not only do you know who the siren is, but you have known from even before the moment I asked you to find out." Draco was trembling. "Your father believes you lied because you were enchanted but I know something that your idiot father does not." Voldemort was now mere inches from Draco. "Sirens are incapable of enchantment which means you lied willingly." Draco swallowed again, shifting his gaze to the wand in Voldemort's hand. Without another word, Voldemort flicked his wand and Draco was forced to his knees harshly. Instinctively, Draco struggled, attempting to fight his way out of the magical hold Voldemort had on him. "I have also learned through various insiders that you care for this girl. The young, Dioleh Marlow."

'Granger,' Draco corrected in his mind.

After a short pause, Voldemort hissed, "I am prepared to forgive both your deception and your father's failure on one condition." Harshly, Voldemort caught Draco's wrist in a claw-like grip, his sharp nails digging into his skin. "Do you pledge your loyalty to me and only me?"

Draco hesitated, glancing back at his mother before he groaned, "No." Next moment, he was screaming on the floor as Voldemort continued to grip his wrist, his sharp nails digging into Draco's arm.

"I think you'll try to answer that again," Voldemort hissed. Draco was breathing heavily. Spotting his mother's imploring look, he finally nodded. In a harsh, swift motion, Voldemort shoved Draco's left sleeve up to his elbow before turning his forearm to face upwards. Pressing his wand into the skin, Voldemort muttered under his breath. Instantly, a searing pain erupted from the wand tip as a dark shape spread from it. Once it had fully formed, Voldemort ordered, "Kill Dumbledore."

Despite himself, Draco's eyes flashed up to Voldemort. "And while you're at it, kill the siren. Fail and I will force you to watch as I torture and kill both your parents and Marlow before I kill you myself. Are we understood?" Draco nodded. "Good." After a moment's pause, Voldemort and Bellatrix strode from the room, their robes billowing behind them.

The moment the door shut, Draco fell to the floor as Narcissa rushed towards him. In his mother's arms, Draco sobbed, holding onto her tightly. "I can't do it," he sobbed. "Mum, I can't kill either of them."

"Sh, shush, now," Narcissa soothed, rubbing his back comfortingly as he hid his head in her shoulder.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

One Month Later

Dioleh rolled irritably onto her back, staring at the dark ceiling. With a sigh, she sat up, pressing her fingers into her temples irritably. Glancing at the clock, Dioleh saw that it was one in the morning. Huffing irritably, Dioleh got up, slipping on a sweatshirt over her head wrap and slipping out of her room. Down in the kitchen, Dioleh was surprised to find Jean sitting with a cup of tea. "Hey," she said softly.

"Hey, Dioleh," Jean said with a tired smile. Pouring herself a cup of tea, Dioleh took a seat beside her. "What's wrong, sweetie? Why can't you sleep?"

"Just thinking," Dioleh admitted. "But what's going on with you? Why can't you sleep?"

"Oh, it's nothing," Jean said, taking another sip of her tea.

"Lies," Dioleh said simply. "Come on, Jean. What's going on?"

"I just worry about you girls, that's all," Jean said with a sigh. "When Hermione came home for the summer...I'd never seen her so pale and thin...she never really explained what happened. And you...I can tell something is wrong and neither of you are talking to me."

"I know," Dioleh sighed, embracing her. "I'm just not used to having parents I can talk to." Interlacing her fingers, Dioleh began to fidget with the snake ring around her finger. "I'm just worried about my boyfriend, that's all. His father was arrested just before the end of the term and he's taking it really hard."

"Have you heard from him?" Jean asked.

"No," Dioleh admitted. "Nothing at all. He told me he would need to take care of his mother and I get that, but...I just didn't think that meant I wouldn't hear from him at all. And what's worse...I'm afraid he might be falling in with a bad crowd."

"Well, no matter what, remember that no matter how much you care about him, you can't let him drag you down with him," Jean said gently. "Be there for him and support him but if he keeps falling, you have to eventually let go before you fall yourself."

"I know," Dioleh said sombrely.