22. Success Without Honour

Much to their luck, Andre was well informed on what had happened last night and was able to fill in Imani and Dioleh. "Apparently Black was trying to get into Gryffindor Tower," Andre explained as the three of them sat under the oak tree by the lake. "When he couldn't, he tried to break in by slashing the canvas." Imani looked over at Dioleh with an 'I told you so' look.

"Huh," Dioleh said. Quietly, she said to herself, "They must've changed the password."

"What?" Imani exclaimed. Apparently, Dioleh didn't whisper quietly enough. "Tell me you didn't, Dioleh!"

"Look, he's not trying to kill anyone," Dioleh said. "Well, he is, but it's none of the students."

"Dioleh what the hell is going on?" Andre hissed.

With a sigh, she explained, "Okay, you remember when we had that meeting with Mucus? I got hurt while I was still in the lake and Sirius Black saved my life."

"What?!" Andre thundered. Lowering his voice, he snapped, "He knows what you are?"

"Andre, if he said anything, it's mutually assured destruction," Dioleh replied. "I know how to find him and he knows that."

"But why are you helping him?" Imani asked.

"Because he's trying to avenge James and Lily Potter's death," Dioleh said. "Look, it's hard to explain."

"Dioleh, you can't keep putting us at risk," Andre retorted.

Flaring up, she snapped, "I get it, first year, Julio, that was my fault. I know that, but how is this my fault? I was hurt I would have died if it wasn't for him! Why would he have saved me just to turn me in? He knows what they would do to me."

"How do you know that?" Andre said in a low voice.

"Because he's said so," Dioleh snapped. Andre let out an irritated breath, leaning back against the tree and closing his eyes. "Look, Andre, I have never meant to put us in danger. I'm trying, okay."

"I get that, but trying isn't good enough if it gets one of us killed," Andre said, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"Andre," Imani said quietly. He sighed, glancing over at her with a softened expression.

"Dioleh!" Draco called, approaching her.

"I'll be back," Dioleh said, setting aside her books and moving to stand by Draco, out of earshot of the other two. "What is it?"

"Well, I just wanted to make sure you were all right," he said with furrowed brows. "You disappeared right after we talked last night."

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine," Dioleh replied with a small smile. "How's the arm, by the way? I heard what happened." Draco started, looking down at it as if he had completely forgotten about it.

"Oh, uh, it's getting better," he said, but there was a hollowness to his words. "Uh, Flint also wanted me to tell you we're not playing Saturday."

Frowning, Dioleh asked, "What? Why?"

"Well, I can't exactly play with my arm like this," he said lamely, lifting his arm in its sling slightly. Dioleh raised an eyebrow at him, tilting her head slightly. Draco was at least two inches taller than Dioleh, but he still found his arrogance quaver in her presence. Under her gaze, he finally said, "Well, at least that's what Flint is using as an excuse."

"And why are we so desperate to avoid playing on Saturday? Does Flint have so little faith in his team?" Dioleh scoffed.

"What? You can't honestly say you want to play in all the rain that's supposed to come, do you?" Draco replied, letting out a small laugh.

"Of course not, but it's the principle of the thing, Draco. You're lying," Dioleh countered. "Success without honour is no success at all." Her final words hanging in the air, she left him to go back to her friends.

"What was that about?" Andre asked, looking up from his work as she sat down.

"Yeah, Malfoy looks like you just kicked his puppy or something," Imani added.

"Don't worry about it," Dioleh said irritably. "He's just so annoying. One minute he's making me think that he's all sweet and concerned for me, but then the next minute he's back to his conceited, arrogant self."

"Cut your losses, Granger," Andre said. "Malfoy's a bully, everyone knows that."

"I don't know why you've ever tolerated him," Imani said. Dioleh shrugged.

With a sigh, Dioleh said, "You know what, I've got to go handle something. I'll see you guys later." Slinging her bag over her shoulder, Dioleh went inside and ran down the stairs to the dungeons. Drawing in a deep breath, Dioleh knocked on the office door in front of her.

"Come in," the emotionless, drawing voice of Professor Snape said.

Opening the door, Dioleh said, "Professor Snape."

"Ms. Marlow," Snape said. "What is it?"

"I quit," she said. "I'm done playing on a Quidditch team that's okay with lying just because they don't want to play in some rain. So, I quit. That's all. I'll leave it to you to tell Flint that his trash team just got trashier."

"Do you want this team to fail?" Snape asked.

"Well, if lying is how we win, it's not worth it," she replied. "Have a good afternoon, Professor Snape."