65. Midnight

At midnight, Dioleh and Bill approached the park. Bill slipped out of sight and Dioleh hesitantly walked further into the park. Draco was sitting on a bench, his head in his hands. He looked up as she sat down next to him. "Dioleh," he said quickly.

"I haven't long," she said sadly. "So, what is it?"

"He came to our house," Draco said, his voice low and quiet.

"Who?" Dioleh asked.

"You-Know-Who," Draco said desperately, a few tears in his eyes. Rubbing his eyes, he explained, "He showed up to talk to me."

Trying to keep her voice even, Dioleh asked, "W-What did he want?"

"He wanted to know about you," he said. Her eyes widened. "Not by name, but he was asking me to keep an eye out for a siren at Hogwarts."

"Oh god," Dioleh whispered, laying her forehead in her hands. "I knew he was looking for me, but I didn't know he knew where I was."

"You knew?" Draco snapped.

"Of course I knew," Dioleh said anxiously. "Voldemort tortured one of the other sirens I know and they told him that I'm the most powerful siren. He's looking for me to recruit me, but when I say no he will kill me."

"Would you say no?" Draco asked.

"Of course I would," Dioleh retorted, glaring at him. "My mother didn't die at the hands of oppressors for me to become one. She died because she refused to be controlled by them or by fear."

"My mother said something interesting," Draco said, changing the subject.

Absentmindedly, Dioleh replied, "Oh?"

"She said sirens can enchant people with their voices," Draco said.

"So goes the tale," Dioleh replied irritably.

"Is it true?" Draco asked.

Dioleh looked over at him, thinking for a moment before she said, "No, we let the wizarding world think that to keep them away from us, to protect ourselves." She paused before remarking bitterly, "What once protected us now is the cause of our destruction." Draco opened his mouth to speak, but Dioleh said, "I should get going before I'm missed. Was there anything else?"

"No," he said. "Thank you for coming." She nodded, getting to her feet. She had only taken a few steps from him before he said, "Wait." Dioleh turned. Standing, he said, "Dioleh, I don't know what's going to happen over the next few years, but there is something I need to tell you and if I don't I know I'm going to regret it."

"And what would that be?" Dioleh asked in confusion, seeing the desperation in his eyes.

"I care about you a lot and not just like friends and I know we seem to be on opposite sides of a war but..." he said quickly like he was trying to get it all out before he had time to regret it. Dioleh's eyes widened. "I fancy you and I always have."

After a long pause, she said quietly, "What?"

"Damn it," he cursed under his breath. "I fancy you, Dioleh, and I'm sorry if this ruins our friendship or makes it weird, but-"

"Dray," Dioleh said quietly, but it was enough to cut him off. Her heart pounding in her chest, Dioleh rushed up to him, placing her hands in his hair and bringing his lips down to hers. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he leaned down closer to her height, deepening the kiss. Dioleh felt lightheaded as he moved his lips against hers. She responded, wrapping her arms around his neck. He pulled away, drawing in deep shaky breaths and laying his forehead against hers.

"I shouldn't have done that," he said breathily. Letting go of her, he muttered irritably to himself, "I've just made everything worse."

"Dray," Dioleh snapped. He turned to face her again. Cupping his cheek, she said, "First of all, I kissed you. But more importantly, if the next few years are going to be hell, why can't we have a little good? Don't we deserve that?"

"Dioleh, do you care about me the way I care about you?" he asked.

"I don't know," she said honestly. "But what I do know is that I don't care about you the way I care about Andre or Harry or Ron or- Whatever, it's different, Dray. I feel something different for you." Draco lay his forehead against hers, his eyes closed. "Just stay by my side and we can get through this, all of it, Dray. I believe we can get through this war so long as we stay together."

"We can't tell anyone," Draco said quietly.

"No," Dioleh agreed. Her heart was still beating excitedly, but she felt at peace in his arms. "They wouldn't take it well."

"No," Draco said.

"But we don't have to worry about that," Dioleh said. After they stood there another few moments, Dioleh said regretfully, "I have to go." Draco nodded, cupping her cheeks and kissing her gently. Dioleh smiled, pulling away from his lips and wrapping her arms around him. "Bye, Dray."

"Goodbye, love," he replied, kissing her cheek. They parted, heading off for their two separate worlds.

It wasn't until Dioleh had begun walking that she remembered one crucial detail.

"I thought this was a meeting about your safety," Bill remarked. Dioleh turned, seeing he was staring at her with a raised eyebrow and an unreadable expression.

"Please, Bill," Dioleh begged. "Don't tell anyone."

"Who knows?" Bill asked.

"No one," Dioleh said. Glancing back at the park, she explained, "He's never...we've never-" She paused, gathering her thoughts before admitting, "He told me what he needed to say and when I was about to leave he told me that he fancies me. That's all."

"Well, that and a bit of snogging," Bill said, the tiniest hint of teasing in his tone.

Looking disgusted, Dioleh asked, "What kind of vulgar word is snogging? It sounds disgusting."

Bill laughed lightheartedly, countering, "It's a casual term for kissing. What do you call it in America?"

"Kissing, making out," Dioleh explained. "Not snogging."

Ignoring this, he asked, "Are you going to tell anyone?"

"No," Dioleh admitted. "We can't. Imagine how someone like Ron would react or even Harry. But Bill, please."

With a sigh, he decided, "I'll keep your secret unless it becomes a danger to you or others."

"I would never tell him Order business," Dioleh retorted.

"As long as it stays that way then your secret is kept," Bill said.

"I can live with that."