71. Irrational? Rational? Who Knows

Upon waking up the first morning of the term, Dioleh headed down to breakfast with Imani to find that Andre was waiting for them already with their schedules. "Come on," he said. "We need to talk." The two girls followed behind him to the kitchens where they all got some breakfast. Sitting out on the steps to the grounds, they ate and looked over their schedules. 

"So what's up?" Imani asked after she had finished off her breakfast burrito. 

Andre, who was eating toast, finished, dusted away the crumbs, and asked, "Did either of you listen last night?" 

"Of course we did," Dioleh said, taking a bite of her apple. Spreading some peanut butter on the next portion, she added, "I knew the Ministry was interfering but I didn't think they'd bring in someone like her." 

"She makes me think of a snake," Andre admitted. 

"Same," Imani said. "She just seems so-" Imani broke off, staring at Dioleh with gradually growing disgust. "Dio, how do you eat that? It's so weird."  

Dioleh laughed, finishing off her bite as she countered, "It's really good. If you haven't had an apple with peanut butter you haven't lived. It's good with carrots too." 

"Gross," Imani shuttered. 

"I'm thinking about going vegetarian," Dioleh admitted. 

"Really?" Imani said in surprise. 

"Or maybe like pescatarian," Dioleh continued. "You know so I could still have shrimp, but like totally low-meat die-" 

"Guys, can we talk about dietary choices later?" Andre interrupted irritably. "What are we going to do?" 

"There's not much we can do, Dre-Dre," Dioleh said, causing Andre to roll his eyes at the nickname. "It's not like we can get her fired. Pissing her off won't do any good and I don't see any options other than that." 

"I mean how are we going to keep from getting caught?" Andre clarified, his patience wearing thin. 

"Just be more careful than normal," Imani said. "Andre, I get why you're worried, but until he told them, McGonagall and Snape had no idea. If we were able to keep it from them, what makes you think we can't keep it from her?" 

"It's just different now," Andre said. "The other teachers here probably wouldn't send us to be killed. She will." 

"Andre, relax. We'll be fine," Imani assured. "We just need to stick together." 

Andre's eyes suddenly widened as his eyes fixed on Dioleh. Paling slightly, he asked, "Dioleh, do you trust Draco?" 

"Andre, we've been through this," Dioleh said frustratedly, finishing off her apple. "He wouldn't do anything to hurt any of us." 

"Are you sure about that?" Andre asked. "Even if it was to appease his father?" 

Dioleh sighed, scratching the back of her neck as she said, "Andre, we'll be fine. We have something on our side that you're not considering." 

"And what is that?" Andre said bitterly, not meeting her eyes as he glanced at his watch. 

"First, each other, but also Dumbledore," she said simply. "Now stop your stressing. I get why you're worried, but there is no logical reason to be as scared as you are right now." 

"Any illogical reasons?" Andre remarked. 

"I felt sick to my stomach in her presence?" Dioleh offered up. "It was probably nothing." 

"Let's just agree to keep an eye on her," Imani said, standing. "I'm sure it'll all be okay." 

"Yeah," Andre said offhandedly, still deep in thought. Coming back out of it, he added, "When do you guys have her first?" 

Glancing at her schedule, Imani replied, "Later today with the Gryffindors." 

"Any more news from your father about the conference?" Dioleh asked. 

"No," Imani said moodily. "Dad just said that he's managed to get himself on the speaker list and he'll do what he can. He also got Dumbledore on the list, but it's looking like they're the only two that have anything good to add." 

"Great," Andre huffed bitterly. "See you both later." Taking up his bag, he disappeared, leaving the two girls by themselves. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Dioleh found, to her great irritation, that she was the first to arrive for Professor Umbridge's class. Imani had gone off to return something to Andre and had yet to return. Just when she had decided she was going to have to enter the class alone, Hermione came by her side and slipped her hand into hers. Giving her hand a reassuring squeeze, Hermione led her to a seat near the middle of the room. Harry and Ron filed in behind her and took their seats as well. Imani still hadn't shown up. 

"Where's Imani?" Hermione whispered. Every student was being rather quiet as they had yet to figure out this new teacher. 

"On her way," Dioleh replied, beginning to fiddle with the snake ring around her finger. Blaise and Draco came to sit behind Hermione and Dioleh, earning them half-annoyed looks from Harry and Ron. Turning around in her seat, Dioleh said quietly, "Dray, did you see Imani?" 

"No," he replied, brows furrowed. "Why, whe-" 

"Well good afternoon!" Umbridge interrupted as the bell rang.