64. Rule-Breaker

"Draco, please come out," Narcissa said gently, leaning her forehead against his doorframe, facing the locked door. He didn't respond, letting out a sigh and laying his head back against the headboard and crossing his arms over his chest to remind himself of his own resignation. "Draco," she said again, desperation in her tone. Letting out a sigh of defeat, he got up, unlocked the door and jumped back in bed, looking through one of his spellbooks without interest. Narcissa, after hearing the lock click, opened the door and hesitantly stepped inside.

Sitting down on the edge of Draco's bed, she said, "I wish you wouldn't argue with your father and me."

"Will you stop supporting a homicidal maniac?" Draco replied, not looking up from his book as he flipped the page.

"Draco," Narcissa sighed.

Sitting up, Draco said in a far more gentle tone than he had used previously, "Mother, you know exactly what he is. Even if you haven't seen it, you've heard of it all. Why would you stand behind someone like him? If he really cares about pure-bloods, why would he let Aunt Bellatrix torture two of them into insanity? Why would he kill James Potter, who was also a pureblood?"

"They defied him," Narcissa said simply.

"Okay, but Mum, you're missing my point," Draco said, lowering his voice and glancing toward the door to ensure Lucius wasn't listening in. "He claims he cares about blood superiority, right? Then why would he spill the blood of the people he claims he cares about so much? If he was really trying to protect them, he would kill muggle-borns and then stop. He doesn't care about any of that, he cares about power." Narcissa sighed, cupping her son's cheek as he looked at her, hopeful she was finally getting it.

"Oh, Draco," she sighed. He dared to hope for a split second before- "You'll grow out of these ideas one day." An anvil crashed into his stomach. She lowered her hand and got up to leave.

"Like Aunt Andromeda did?" Draco countered, acting on a sudden, angry impulse. He regretted it the moment she turned back to face him.

"I should have never told you about her," Narcissa said in a trembling voice. "She claims she loves him, that Ted Tonks, but I know the truth. You give muggle-borns a bit of magic and they bewitch everyone around them."

"What about sirens?" Draco asked, looking up.

"Whatever you do, don't let yourself hear their voices," Narcissa warned. "They will enchant you." Once she had left, Draco sat lost in thought before getting to his feet and going over to his desk.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

"Why'd you wake me up so early?" Dioleh said with a yawn, coming down the stairs to stand by the pool.

"Because, we have a lot of work to do," Julio replied. Dioleh rolled her eyes. With a smirk, he shoved her in the pool.

Surfacing, she said, "Meanie." Julio laughed, sitting at the edge of the pool.

"Ebby's going to be joining us soon, but I wanted to work with you a bit first," Julio explained.

Swimming to the edge, Dioleh crossed her arms over the deck, laying her chin on top as she asked, "And what makes you more qualified than the rest?"

"My father was chief," Julio explained with a shrug. "He knew more about siren magic than anyone in my tribe. He taught me most of it before he died."

"I'm sorry," Dioleh said, frowning.

He shrugged, remarking, "My sister was supposed to be Chieftess, but she and my baby brother were killed along with our parents. My eldest brother chose to look after the tribe while Mateo took me here. He's my other brother."

"I lost my family too," Dioleh said. "Well, you know about my dad, but my mom was murdered when I was young."

"Alurina Marlow," Julio said. "Yeah, I knew her when I was little."

"What?" Dioleh said quickly.

"Oh, yeah, she was from our tribe," Julio said. "She had the dark purple hair, right? That's kind of our thing. You probably couldn't tell because we're Hispanic and your dad would have looked a lot like us since he was Native American, completion-wise anyway. That's why you look Hispanic, aside from the hair."

"Oh," Dioleh said softly. "I never knew."

"I only found out a year ago," Julio admitted. "Actually, uh...Alurina was my dad's sister."

"But that means-" Dioleh began, looking up at him.

"We're cousins, yeah," Julio said awkwardly.

"S-So, my family's alive?" Dioleh whispered.

"Part of it, yeah," Julio agreed. "Your aunt and uncle aren't, but my brother should still be alive. Mateo is with him. So you still have three cousins."

"Better than nothing," Dioleh said with a wide smile. "For the last four and a half years I thought all my biological family was dead but now..." Julio smiled.

"Welcome to the family," he said. Dioleh laughed.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Dear Dioleh,
I know you said you can't sneak out anymore but I really need to see you. It's really important. I'm sorry to put you in this position, but I don't think I'll get the chance to tell you this at school without being overheard. It's for your own safety. Please meet me tonight at midnight in the park.
                                                             Draco

Fiddling with the letter in her hands, Dioleh went down into the kitchen to find Sirius, Remus, and Bill. Drawing in a deep breath, Dioleh said, "I need to talk to you."

"Who?" Remus asked.

"All of you will do," she said, handing over the letter. Lupin took it from her and read it aloud for the others to hear. "I think I need to go."

"Why?" Sirius countered.

"He said it has to do with my safety!" Dioleh snapped. "Think for a moment, Sirius. His father is a Death Eater. Maybe Voldemort found out who I am and Draco overheard."

"Dumbledore said you can't sneak out anymore," Sirius countered.

"I have a suggestion," Bill said. "I'll go with her and stay out of sight so Malfoy won't see me. I can make sure nothing happens and she's safe."

"That seems like the best idea," Remus agreed. "Dioleh?"

"Fine," she said begrudgingly. Turning to Bill, she added, "But you need to make sure you do stay out of sight. I don't know if he would still talk if he sees you there." He nodded. "Thank you."