47. Oh Yeah, They're Not Adults

"Now before you go, I have something to tell you all," Professor McGonagall said at the end of Transfiguration. "The Yule Ball is approaching - a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish. Dress robes will be worn and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall."

"A ball?" Dioleh said quietly to Imani as the bell rang. "I don't know how to dance, do you?"

"No," she replied with a shrug. "I suppose people will be asking left and right."

"What do you mean, asking?" Dioleh asked with a frown.

"Asking people to the ball," Imani explained. "It'll be partner dancing."

"Oh," Dioleh said. "I don't know if I want to be asked or not."

"I do," Imani said. "Who knows, maybe we'll find someone to sweep us off our feet." Dioleh laughed at the thought.

"Imani, we're fourteen," she chuckled. "Who falls in love at fourteen?" Imani shrugged.

"You never know," she replied.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The last week of the term was approaching them and neither Dioleh nor Imani had been asked by anyone. To Dioleh's surprise, this bothered her far more than she expected. It was with much annoyance she said in a hushed whisper to Imani in the library one day, "I didn't think I cared but now that we have to listen to everyone talk about who they're going with I can't help but feel..."

"Left out?" Imani guessed. "Yeah, I know how you feel."

"Why don't we just ask people?" Dioleh said with sudden confidence.

"Like who?" Imani replied. Dioleh shrugged, falling back in her seat.

"Hey," Andre said, sitting down with them.

"Hey," the two girls replied, disinterested.

With thinly-veiled amusement, Andre looked between the two and asked, "What's wrong?"

"No one's asked us to the ball yet," Imani said, still not looking at him.

"Well," Andre said, slightly awkwardly. "I could take one of you I mean...we're friends, you know."

Her expression lighting up, Imani said, "Really? Would you?"

"Of course," Andre replied, his cheeks slightly red.

"But which-" Imani began, looking over at Dioleh who was smirking.

"Andre, I believe you have a question for Imani," Dioleh said with a smile.

"Go to the ball with me?" Andre asked, looking at Imani.

Smiling with light eyes, she said, "Yes."

"Alright, that's you two settled," Dioleh said, taping her chin lightly in thought. "Now who do I go with?"

"What about Malfoy?" Andre asked, his eyes flickering briefly over to Imani who glared at him. As Dioleh wasn't looking at them, he mouthed 'What?'

'Cheater' she mouthed back. He merely smirked.

"No, I don't think so," Dioleh said. "If he asks me I guess I'll go with him, but if not...I don't know, it might make things awkward and our relationship already isn't the most stable in the world." The rest of the week passed with surprising speed until it was finally the last day of the term and Dioleh was still without a partner.

Just before dinner, she was walking past the Gryffindor Common Room when she heard her name being shouted, "Dioleh!" Turning, she spotted the last person she expected.

"Harry, what's up?" she asked. He looked very red and looked like he was about to throw up.

"Er, I, er, wanted to ask you something," he said, fiddling with his hands. "Caszabatla?"

Letting out a small laugh, Dioleh said, "What was that?"

"Er, would you, er, like to go with me to the ball?" Harry asked.

"Oh," Dioleh said, blushing from the unexpected attention. "Uh-"

"Unless someone's already asked you or-" Harry rambled.

"Oh, no, no one has," Dioleh interrupted. "Yes, I would love to go with you."

"Really?" he said.

With a small shrug, she replied, "I don't see why not."

"Great," he said, smiling widely. He was very red.

"Uh, see you later then, Harry," Dioleh said, giving a small wave.

"Brilliant," he said. "See you." As Dioleh headed back to her common room, Harry rushed into his excitedly. Seeing Ron look like he was about to faint, Harry asked, "What's up, Ron?"

"Why did I do it?" Ron said anxiously. "I don't know what made me do it!"

"What?" Harry asked.

Ginny, who was sitting next to Ron attempting to comfort him, explained, "He, er, just asked Fleur Delacour to go to the ball with him."

"You what?" Harry said in shock.

"She looked at me like I was a sea slug or something," Ron moaned miserably. "Didn't even answer. And then, I dunno, I just sort of came to my senses and ran for it." After a pause, Ron asked, "Did you at least find a date, Harry?"

"Er, yeah," Harry said, his cheeks suddenly crimson.

"Who?" Ron asked.

"Dioleh," Harry explained.

"Dioleh?" Ginny said in surprise.

"What?"

"Nothing," Ginny said quickly. "I just thought...but never mind."

"But what?" Ron asked.

"Well," Ginny began hesitantly. "There was just someone else I thought was going to ask her."

"Who?" Ron asked again.