40. Whiplash

The first day passed without much excitement until finally, Dioleh was standing in front of the gargoyle. After staring at it uncertainly for a moment, she sighed, said the password, and headed up into his office. As she neared the door, she could hear two people talking inside.

"He was the only one who would agree to take the job," Dumbledore was saying.

"But does it really have to be him, him," Snape replied. Dumbledore replied, but Dioleh knocked on the door, causing them to silent.

"My apologies, I have I pre-scheduled appointment, Severus," Dumbledore said. Without another word, Snape left, staring at Dioleh a moment before disappearing. Biting the inside of her cheek to ease her nerves, Dioleh went inside, her steady eyes on Professor Dumbledore. However, she found her eyes trained suddenly on the perch in the corner of the room. Dioleh had never before been in Dumbledore's office and couldn't help but be surprised at the sight of a real phoenix.

"What's its name?" she asked, looking at him.

"Fawkes," Dumbledore replied. Dioleh stared at the bird for a moment, trying to decide what on earth this man wanted her here for. "Dioleh, please sit." Still unsure, she did, crossing her arms and her legs the moment she did so. "Julio has told me everything that happened," Dumbledore explained. "Now, because he does not know your name, you are in the clear for now, but you can't expect him to be unaware forever. He will find out."

"And what would you propose I do in the meantime?" Dioleh replied, raising her eyebrows. "Twiddle my thumbs? Try not to get killed by the government? Thanks, man, I got that covered."

"You don't trust me," Dumbledore said. It wasn't a question so Dioleh didn't bother answering it. "It's understandable, but I would like you to hear what I have to say." Dioleh gestured for him to resume. "I want to help you protect yourself from Voldemort." Dioleh raised her chin an inch or two higher.

"How?" she asked.

"I would train you," he said. "Help you learn to control your magic."

"How?" Dioleh countered. "You don't know a thing about siren magic and besides, you know what happened in first year. Big siren magic gets sensed by the Ministry."

"It used to, yes," Dumbledore countered. "I spent a good portion of your second year setting up a protection spell to block their tracking your magic. How else do you think they never knew it was a siren who drove away the dementors from Sirius?"

Brows furrowed in anger, Dioleh retorted, "And you never told us? You mean to tell me we could have been doing magic this entire time and you never had the decency to let us know that we didn't have to abandon who we are anymore?" Getting to her feet, she said, "You know what, don't answer that. I appreciate your furtive response to all of this, but I can handle this just fine on my own."

"Can you?" Dumbledore replied. "You are dealing with magic you don't understand yet and facing a wizard who will stop at nothing to both find out who you are and, if you go against him, to kill you."

"Believe it or not, Professor, I am well accustomed to wizards coming after me," Dioleh said firmly.

"Unfortunately so," Dumbledore replied thoughtfully. After a moment, he said, "Dioleh, surprising as it may be, I have quite a bit of experience with sirens." Dioleh looked up in surprise. "In one of my many trips to Greece I came across a rather fierce tribe. Eventually, I befriended them. They even taught me mermish."

"What, so I should trust you just because you know a few sirens?" Dioleh said. "Look, Professor, I'm not trying to say you can't be trusted, but I have no reason to. Yeah, you helped Julio, you shielded us from Ministry tracing for the past three years, but that's not enough for me. A few good deeds can't erase centuries of murder, torture, and genocide."

"You're right," he agreed, unfazed by the bitter anger in her voice. "Then perhaps we can come to a compromise. I will provide a safe place out of sight on Hogwarts grounds not only that will give you access to the lake but will be large enough for you to explore your powers, completely soundproof as well." Dumbledore could tell by the way her eyes narrowed ever so slightly that her mind was whirling, considering the proposal. "Imani and Andre would, of course, be welcome as well."

Dioleh sat back down and asked, "Where would this building be built?"

After thinking a moment, Dumbledore decided, "There is enough space on the far side of the lake between the water and the forest. I would be the sole person in charge of constructing it and placing spells around it. It would be completely invisible on the outside."

After thinking for a moment, Dioleh finally said, "Well, then, I suppose you should just let me know when construction is over." Dumbledore smiled with a small nod.

"I'll be in touch," he said. Dioleh, taking that as a dismissal, got to her feet and headed for the door.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The common room was empty when Dioleh entered. Well, she thought so. "Dioleh," Draco said in surprise, looking up from the book he was reading. She scoffed, rolling her eyes and attempting to get to her dorm. Getting to his feet, Draco said, "Dioleh, please, can we talk." She froze, drawing in a deep breath before turning back around, crossing her arms over her chest and raising an eyebrow at him. "Look, I know you're mad at me."

"Wow, really?" Dioleh said tensely, beginning to turn again.

"Look, I messed up, okay?" he said. Dioleh paused again.

"Draco, are you ashamed of me?" Dioleh asked, looking at him.

His eyes wide, he protested, "No, I-"

"If you're not ashamed of me then why did you act like that?" she snapped. "I don't understand, Dray. You put up these two versions of yourself depending on who you're with. Around your friends and classmates, you're a complete prick, around me you're this awkward nerd who memorizes entire passages of literature. So before you start talking to me again, figure out who you are going to be because I can't handle the constant back and forth!" With a sigh, Draco sat down on the couch, staring into the fire. Her tone softened slightly, Dioleh said, "I don't hate you. I want to be around you, but my sister comes before my friends. Always." Without another word, she retreated into her dorm.