131. Thorned Roses

"You two going to explain now?" Andre asked as the four of them settled in the cold hallway outside Slytherin Common Room.

"Katie Bell was cursed," Blaise said.

"What?" Imani exclaimed. Blaise quickly explained what happened as well as their meeting with McGonagal and Harry's accusations.

"So, what, does Potter think Malfoy's a Death Eater or something?" Andre asked doubtfully.

"I guess," Blaise replied with a shrug. "Personally, I doubt You-Know-Who would let a teenager join."

"I don't know though," Dioleh said doubtfully. It was the first she had spoken since she had yelled at Harry, Ron, and Hermione. "Voldemort has already proven he isn't beneath giving a teenager tasks."

"Yeah, speaking of which, now that he hates you or whatever, how do we know he's not going to turn us all in either to Voldemort or the Ministry?" Andre asked.

"I don't think he would," Blaise admitted. "He knows that he would then have to explain that he knew for years, not to mention the fact that since it's common knowledge Draco and Dioleh dated, it would just end up making him look bad. I don't doubt that Theodore would have gotten the knowledge of the relationship up the food chain. Ultimately, it hurts Draco as much as you three if he says anything."

"Besides, if Voldemort knew, I'd already be dead," Dioleh said a little shakily. Andre narrowed his eyes doubtfully but didn't say a word as Dioleh pulled her coat around her more tightly to fight off the bitter cold.

Absentmindedly, Blaise slipped off his sweatshirt and tossed it to her as he said, "Anyway, I think we need to think more about a potential exit plan for you if it becomes necessary."

"Maybe," Dioleh said, pulling on his large sweatshirt before slipping her coat back on over it. "We also need to think of a plan in case our dorms aren't safe anymore."

"I thought we said we'd go to the hideout," Imani replied with a frown.

"Well yeah but we do need a place to sleep for Blaise," Dioleh said.

"I can just bring a few blankets," he replied. "I'll be fine, Dio."

"I thought I saw Pansy watching me when I woke up this morning," Dioleh admitted.

"What?" Imani said quickly.

"I don't know," Dioleh said. "I could have been a trick of the light but I'm really not sure."

"We all need to just be alert and aware," Blaise said. "Well, besides Andre."

"Yup," he said gratefully. "Thankfully none of my roommates are likely to try and slit my throat while I sleep."

"Still," Imani said. "Just in case. Watch for it."

"I will," he said absentmindedly.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

In the avalanche of homework and the constant meetings with her three friends about each of their safety, time seemed to slip by like a swift river until they had reached the second the last day before the break. Imani had, as usual, disappeared into the library with Andre while Dioleh worked in the Common Room with Blaise.

"Hey, Dio, you know Slughorn's Christmas party thing tomorrow?" Blaise said, glancing up from his work.

"Yeah?" Dioleh replied, frowning as she scratched something out of her essay.

"Well, Slughorn isn't really letting me get out of it and we're allowed to invite people so I was wondering if you'd like to come with me," he admitted, his tone a little less carefree than Dioleh was used to hearing it. "Just to make it less miserable, you know."

"Oh," Dioleh said, glancing up at him. He adjusted himself in his seat, averting his gaze from her. "Sure. That sounds great."

"Great," Blaise said with a bright smile. "It's more formal attire, by the way."

"Okay," Dioleh replied. As they continued to work on schoolwork, Dioleh noticed Blaise was smiling more than usual. From behind them, there was a sudden snapping sound so loud both turned to see the source of it. Draco had slammed his book shut and was storming away into the dorms. Dioleh scoffed, rolling her eyes and turning back to her work. "He is a child," she muttered .

"You don't say," Blaise muttered irritably. "Anyway, meet you at eight for the party then?"

"Yeah, sounds great," Dioleh replied.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The following day, Dioleh disappeared into her dorm an hour before she was to meet up with Blaise and quickly changed into one of the dresses she had brought with her. It was a long black dress that clung to her toned figure. The long sleeves dropped down from an off-shoulder neckline. Dioleh styled her curly hair down with two sides braided back with two curls out at the front to frame her face. After finishing with her hair, Dioleh quickly did winged eyeliner, mascara, and a natural-toned lipstick. Slipping her wand into one of the concealed pockets, Dioleh headed down into the Common Room to find Blaise waiting for her.

"Dioleh," he said in greeting the moment he noticed her. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," Dioleh said meekly. "Uh, shall we?"

"Yeah, of course," Blaise said quickly. They set off across the Common Room together and began walking down the hall until they reached Slughorn's office.

The moment they stepped inside, Slughorn himself appeared and called, "Mr. Zabini, so good of you to make it! And it is a pleasure to see you, Ms. Granger, as always. My, my, I was not aware the two of you were-"

"Oh, no, Professor," Blaise said quickly, glancing over at Dioleh cautiously. "Dioleh and I are friends."

"Ah, I see, I see," Professor Slughorn said, his jovial attitude not hindered in the slightest. Turning back to Dioleh, he added, "Well, I am most delighted you have joined us, my dear. In fact, might I suggest you join us for the next of our little diners?"

"Oh, uh, all right," Dioleh replied awkwardly. "It would be a pleasure." Thankfully at that moment, Slughorn was distracted by the appearance of Harry with Luna.

"Trust me," Blaise said quietly. "It would not be a pleasure." Dioleh smiled, trying to hold back a laugh as they headed over to find something interesting to do.

"They can't be that bad," Dioleh replied.

"Well, I suppose they're not," Blaise said fairly, "but only if you can endure Slughorn going on and on about his old favourites. Otherwise, they're quite enjoyable."

"Well, every rose has its thorns," Dioleh replied. Blaise shrugged.