164. Change of Scenery

The whole group was sitting at dinner when there was a sudden knocking on the door. Fleur looked up, her face unexpectedly pale as several people reached for their wands. Getting to his feet, Bill moved over to the door and called, "Who is it?"

"It's me, Bill," replied a tired and worn, sounding voice.

"What is your business here?" Bill asked in a tone that the others understood to mean he was testing him.

"To question," the man replied. Bill opened the door and from the darkness emerged Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Kingsley," Ron said in surprise. "I thought you were on the run."

"Who's to say I'm not," Kingsley replied with a smile. Then, his eyes fixed on Draco. "A Malfoy if I ever saw one." Draco averted his gaze and set down his fork.

Getting to his feet, he said, "Thank you, Fleur. Dinner was delicious." Fleur smiled back at him, choosing not to mention that Draco had helped her cook most of it anyway. As he, Bill, and Kingsley disappeared into another room, Dioleh got to her feet, thanked Fleur, and ignored the help offered to her by several at the table. Ignoring them, she passed through the door to find the three men in the living room. "Dioleh," Draco said in surprise, quickly getting up to support her. "What are you doing?"

"Making sure you're all right," Dioleh replied softly. With a small sigh, he helped her back to the couch and faced the two Order members again.

"So, you were saying," Kingsley remarked in his deep voice.

"After my father was arrested, I arrived home to find You-Know-Who waiting with my mother and aunt," Draco explained. He hesitated a moment before admitting, "I refused to help him at first but then...he tortured me and I...I was a coward and an idiot. I agreed and that's when he branded me with the Dark Mark."

"And what was the task you were given, specifically?" Bill asked.

Draco hesitated a moment before admitting shakily, "To kill Dumbledore and Dioleh." Dioleh interlaced their fingers and gave his hand a comforting squeeze as he resumed, "He told me that if I failed, he would torture and kill my parents and Dioleh in front of me before killing them himself. As time went on, he felt I needed more...encouragement. That's when he also threatened my best friend Blaise. For months, I promised myself that I would tell my friends what I was being forced to do but when it came down to it, I was too scared so I never told them. Instead, I pushed them away and tried to make it on my own all the while acting like a complete arse."

"So what prompted you to leave?" Kingsley asked.

Draco thought a moment before replying, "After I thought Dioleh died, I was guilt-ridden for months. I didn't cast the spell, but I still blamed myself. Then, I was tasked with interrogating Imani Kanumba, Dioleh's best friend. I tried for a week or so to keep going but I couldn't. Finally, I had had enough and I decided to leave and take as many of the prisoners as I could with me."

"Who all was there?" Bill asked.

"Mr. Ollivander and Imani," Draco replied. "Then, the day of our escape, Luna came. I tried to get them all out but someone, I'm not entirely sure of who, ratted us out and Death Eaters were waiting for us on the grounds. I tried to get to the others before apparating but I was hit with some kind of spell. Imani grabbed onto me and apparated. That's when we joined Blaise, Andre, and Dioleh at Zabini Manor."

"Do you have any clue what You-Know-Who's up to?" Kingsley asked.

"I know very little," Draco admitted. "The Ministry's completely infiltrated, but I assume you already knew that. You-Know-Who is abroad doing something with his wand. He's been obsessed over it ever since...I suppose it was sometime over the summer when Ollivander first went missing. He never fully explained why. He took my father's wand at the beginning but it was shattered when he went up against Harry sometime in July. That's about all I know other than that Malfoy Manor is his main base of operation."

"And you're sure there's nothing else?" Bill asked.

"If I knew more, believe me, I would tell you," Draco replied earnestly.

"All right," Kingsley said. "You've been vouched for. Don't let any of these good people regret that."

"I won't," Draco replied.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

When the following evening came, Dioleh couldn't help but admit feeling relief at leaving Shell Cottage. Despite the easy access to the sea and Fleur's caring nature, Dioleh did feel rather like it was quite stuffy in the cottage with so many people. However, it was with tearful reluctance that she hugged Hermione goodbye. "Stay safe," Hermione whispered, holding her tightly.

"You too," Dioleh replied. "I love you, Hermione."

"I love you too," Hermione said. Pulling away from her sister, Dioleh embraced Harry and Ron before returning to Draco who quickly wrapped a supportive arm around her waist.

"How're we getting there?" Draco asked.

"Apparation," Bill explained. "We just need to get beyond the house." Everyone quickly said their goodbyes and thanks to everyone before following Bill outside. Dioleh quickly linked hands with Draco and Imani as everyone circled up, including Ollivander who was joining them on their journey. With an audible pop, they disappeared.