17. To Help or to Hurt, That is the Question

When Dioleh woke, she changed into her robes and faced her mirror to do her hair. Her long blue-purple locks had not changed much over the years, they had merely lengthened to fall all the way down around her waist. Quickly, she did her hair in a braided bun, leaving pieces out to frame her face.

Once she had finished, she went down to breakfast with Imani. When they came into the Great Hall, the two saw Draco entertaining a large crowd of Slytherins with the story of how Harry had fainted because of the dementor. Rolling her eyes, Dioleh suggested, "Want to eat with Andre today?"

"Yeah," she said, throwing a disgusted look at the group. "Hey." Andre was surprised to see them but didn't protest.

"I was wondering when you'd get sick of your house," he said, dishing himself up some eggs. "Can't blame you, though."

"I wish I'd have known," Dioleh muttered irritably, grabbing some pancakes. "Then I'd have asked the hat to sort me anywhere but there. Maybe Hufflepuff, that would keep Malfoy away."

"What ever happened between you two?" Imani asked. "You were kind of friends first year."

"Yeah, before he started being nothing more than an arrogant bullying prat," Dioleh fumed, getting up briefly to snatch a schedule from the Slytherin table for the two of them. "Sweet, I have Arithmancy first."

"I have Divination," Imani said with a small shrug. "How about you, Andre?"

"Arithmancy," he replied. Soon they had finished eating. Glancing at his watch, Andre said, "We should get going, Dioleh, if we want to be on time."

"See you later, Imani," she said, waving to her friend. Imani smiled back, grabbing her things and heading for her class.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

As they were walking down the halls, Andre said quietly, "The three of us need to talk. Meet up tonight in the lake."

"What time?" Dioleh asked.

"Seven," he replied. "As long as we go in from the far side of the lake we should be okay." Dioleh nodded but didn't say anything because at that moment they had come into class.

"Hey Hermione," Dioleh said. She smiled in return when Dioleh sat next to her. Andre sat on Dioleh's other side with one of his fellow Ravenclaws.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The day's lessons passed quickly so before Dioleh had processed that the day was almost over, she and Imani were headed across the grounds, glancing back every few minutes to make sure they weren't being watched or followed. On the far side of the lake and out of sight of the school, Imani and Dioleh quickly dove into the water, changing forms as they did so. Andre was already waiting for them near the bottom of the lake.

"What's this about?" Imani asked, moving her long hair so it didn't swirl in front of her face. Andre didn't answer. His eyes were trained on a spot just over her shoulder. Turning, Imani and Dioleh spotted a merperson. They could tell it was one of the natives from the lake as they had grey skin, a silver tail, green hair, and yellow eyes. Merchieftainess Murcus was a Selkie and lived in the village at the bottom of the lake.

In Mermish, Andre said, "You informed my father you wished to meet with the Hogwarts Sirens. We're all here. What is it you wished to speak about?"

"To inform you," the Selkie replied. Despite the ferocity of her appearance, Dioleh could tell that she was caring. "I was told by the siren Ebony that the passages were destroyed two years ago."

"Yes," Dioleh replied. "Are there others?"

"No," the Murcus replied. "But we have figured out a way to make one." Each of the sirens shared surprised looks.

"You would do that for us?" Imani asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Not for you," Murcus replied. "Sirens bring trouble for us Selkie. Protecting you protects my people."

"Thank you," Dioleh said. "For this great favour, we are indebted to you. If there is anything we can do for you or any of your people, we would do so most willingly." Murcus nodded. It was grave but all Selkie are like that when it comes to business. None take it as a joke, at least not that Dioleh knew.

"We will have it finished tomorrow," Murcus said. "I will wait for one of you here tomorrow night and I will show you the exit." Andre nodded and soon after the Selkie left.

"Let's just hope it comes out in a place that will work for us," Imani said.

"Still, good of them to do that for us," Dioleh said.

After a moment, Imani asked, "You headed in?"

"Sure," Andre replied. "Dioleh?"

"I'm going to stay for a few," she replied. "Go on ahead." Once they were gone, Dioleh dashed around the lake as fast as she could. It had been a long time since she had gone for a proper swim as the Grangers were completely unaware of what she was. The lake was certainly smaller than the ocean, but it was better than nothing. However, as she was swimming, she suddenly dashed into a solid mass. Staggering back from the force, she realized it was one of the Selkies.

"Sorry," she said quickly, but before she could say more, she suddenly saw red float up and over her head. Then a pain suddenly hit her. Looking down, Dioleh saw that across her bare stomach, there was a huge gash. Blood was gushing from the wound. Looking up, she saw that the Selkie was panicking, throwing aside the spear in his hand and trying to help. With a hiss of pain, she sped as fast as she could for the opposite side of the lake, the far-off part.

Beginning to cry, she moved her head out of the surface, attempting to transform back. She cried out in pain as her body started to transition, but it was no use. She fell on her back, staring up at the sky and gasping for air as more and more blood left her body. There was a crinkling of leaves behind her and everything faded to black.