180. The Auror Office

The constant surge of noise in the auror office, mostly due to the training room next door and the constant chatter between cubicles, served mostly to delay their locating Harry or Ron among the many witches and wizards swarming the room. Neither of them were paid any mind as Draco, much like his father, was often seen around the Ministry to see to contracts for rebuilding, and the occasional donation, although, unlike Lucius, without a promise in return. Additionally, with Hermione, Ron, and Harry's friendship with both Dioleh and Draco, it was not unusual to see one or the other in different parts of the Ministry as all three had begun working there in the past year after Hermione completed her final year at Hogwarts.

However, they had never gone down into the auror office. It was doubtless the messiest office Dioleh had ever seen with papers and pictures pinned against cubical walls with no clear sign of organization at all. Along the wall there was a large collection of known Death Eaters that had yet to be caught and right in the centre of the collection was Theodore Nott himself.

"Draco? Dioleh?" a surprised voice said. Both turned and saw Ron giving them surprised looks. "What's going on?"

"We need to talk to you and Harry," Dioleh said quickly. "Privately."

"Alright," Ron replied, brows furrowed. Turning to lean over one of the cubicles, he said something to someone inside and soon Harry appeared and led them into an empty conference room. Dioleh instantly sunk into a chair, her hand still held in Draco's as he stood beside her.

Leaning back against the wall, Harry asked, "What's going on?"

"Theodore Nott paid us a visit," Draco explained in a voice of forced calm.

"What?" Harry said quickly. "Are you okay?"

"We're fine," Dioleh said shakily, rubbing the back of her head with a small wince.

"What did he want?" Ron asked.

Letting out a long sigh, Draco said, "He was after Leo." At the two auror's confused expressions, he elaborated, "Theodore's younger brother."

"Did he get to him?" Harry asked.

"No," Draco replied. "Andromeda took the boys out for a day trip to the coast. He wasn't home. I've warned her to take all the boys back to her house instead of to mine, but I don't know how long it will take for Nott to figure out how to find his brother."

"How many boys are with him?" Harry asked.

"Four," Draco explained. "Caleb, Enzo, Preston, and Milo."

"Your house is probably a lot safer than Andromeda's," Ron admitted, crossing his arms over his chest. "It's probably best we get the boys back into the house and set up additional security there." Turning his attention to Draco, he asked, "How old is Leo?"

"He just turned twelve," Draco replied. "And unfortunately, he's extremely impressionable and has complete faith in his brother. If Nott told him I was a villain, Leo would believe it, even after all this time."

"Then we can't tell him about Theodore," Ron said.

"I won't lie to him," Draco retorted. "Death Eaters manipulate through lies and half-truths. I won't do the same."

"But if he knows his brother is coming after him, he might try and leave," Harry countered.

"No," Draco said. "I'll talk to him, try to get him to understand."

"And if that doesn't work?" Harry countered.

"Look, I refuse to lie and manipulate as their fathers did," Draco sighed. "No matter the personal cost."

After a long pause, Ron said, "We'll go to Andromeda and get the boys and bring them to your house. Why don't the two of you go there to wait. We'll meet you there in about an hour."

"Alright," Draco said. Getting to her feet, Dioleh rubbed her thumb soothingly against Draco's hand and turned to the others.

"Thank you," she said. Harry nodded and soon he and Ron were alone in the conference room. There was a long pause.

"We need to talk to Peterson," Ron said finally. "Get permission to take some of the other aurors to transport the boys."

"Yeah," Harry said. "If you can take care of that, I'll go to Andromeda's so there's at least some protection there."

"Okay," Ron replied. "I'll bring who I can."