146. Hate You

Draco headed down into the cellar as he had become accustomed to doing with several bundles of food in hand. Shutting the door behind him, Draco went first to Ollivander, handing him one of the bundles with a sandwich and carrots, which the old man had told him he was fond of, before refilling his water bottle with a flick of his wand. Straightening up, Draco went to the other corner where Imani was seated. Instead of carrots, hers contained an apple with her sandwich. As he was filling her water bottle, he became aware of the fact that Imani had not touched her food. She was staring at him with slightly narrowed eyes.

"How's your side?" he asked quietly, glancing back to make sure no one was listening at the doorway.

"Fine," she said, slightly scathingly.

Leaning forward to set the bottle of water beside her, he muttered, "I have a plan to get you and Ollivander out of here." Her shocked expression met his as he leaned back. "I'll be back sometime during the night tonight. Once I know everyone is asleep. Then, I'll tell you everything."

As he got up and turned to leave, Imani said, "I still hate you, Malfoy." But unlike the other times she had said this, which was every time he left, he was not entirely convinced she meant it.

"You should," he replied quietly, giving her one last look before heading towards the door. Just loud enough for Imani to hear it, he added, "I'm a coward." Imani snorted, giving him a surprised look as he opened the door and stepped through to head up the stairs.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

As the clock struck two in the morning, Draco snuck from his room to poke his head in his parent's room. Narcissa was laying facing Lucius who had his arms wrapped around her, holding her close even in sleep. Slipping back out, Draco silently shut the door behind him before heading down the stairs, coming to a stop to listen at another door down the hall which he knew currently housed Bellatrix. He could very faintly hear the sound of her deep breathing. Moving silently on, he got down to the main floor and finally to the staircase down to the cellar. Imani was dozing against the wall but the moment Draco sat down beside her, she jolted awake.

"So, what's the plan?" she asked instantly.

"Actually, it's startlingly simple," he admitted. "We just wait until it's late, like now, and just slip out."

"And you're sure there aren't any spells or barriers that would be triggered?" Imani countered.

"I doubt it," Draco whispered back. "The Dark Lord may not trust me, but he trusts Bellatrix. And my parents, to a certain extent."

"When do you want to do it?" Imani asked.

"Bellatrix is leaving in a little under a week to take care of something for him. We'll wait until then," he said. "That way there's less of a chance we'll be caught."

"Okay," Imani said quietly. "I can wait that long."

"We can tell Ollivander the day before," Draco suggested, glancing over to where the old man lay sleeping. "In case someone comes down asking questions. Also, I've figured out how to solve your other issue."

"What's that?" she asked.

"You've been here almost a week," Draco said. "And unless I'm misunderstanding, you need to transform soon."

"Well, I doubt you have a secret pool of water hiding around here," Imani said bitterly.

"No, but I think if I can construct a temporary holding place and fill it with water down here, you can at least transform for a few minutes," he explained. "I'll do that tomorrow to make sure you can get through another week without needing to transform."

"And what's going to happen to you when they come down here and discover that we're both gone?" Imani asked. "He'll kill you."

"Not if I'm not here to be killed," Draco countered, not meeting her gaze. "I just hope he doesn't take his anger out on my parents. I just can't live with the guilt of everything I've done anymore. I need to get out before it gets worse."

"Before what gets worse?" Imani asked, brows furrowed.

With a small sigh, Draco admitted, "I've been dreaming of her, every night since she died. I just watch myself kill her over and over again no matter what I try to do to stop it. I know it's my fault that she died and I know that it's too late to change that but it's not too late to do the right thing, like she always wanted me to." Imani swallowed uncomfortably, averting her gaze from him.

"Right," she said softly. "Dioleh." Draco got to his feet quickly.

"Get some sleep," he said.

"Malfoy?" Imani called back softly.

Turning slightly, he replied, "Yes?"

"Hate you," she said. Draco smiled and turned back towards the door.