18. Sea Dragons

Sirius Black quickly moved back and out of sight when he heard a loud splash from the lake. Glancing over, he had to do a double-take. Laying part of the way out of the lake was a siren with brilliant blue and purple hair and greenish-blue scales. She gasped for breath, a strangled, pained sound as tears streamed down her cheeks. Sirius had seen the wound, but he hesitated, scanning to see if anyone was around.

Finally, cursing himself, he moved forward and crouched beside her. She had passed out, but he quickly picked her up with huge effort and took her into the woods so he could remain out of sight. He had been unable to get a wand in his time out, so he instead went to the small bag he had been collecting since he got out. Pulling out gauze, he pressed the cloth into the wound. Dioleh woke up, crying out in pain.

"Who are you?" she asked, wincing as he pressed into the wound with the gauze.

"Don't worry about it," he replied offhandedly. She managed to focus enough to see his face.

"Sirius Black," she said finally. With each breath, she winced. "My luck is just getting worse and worse."

"I'm not who they say I am," he countered. "Have you a wand?"

"Yes," she said, gasping for breath, her eyes tightly shut. Breathlessly, she said, "It should be behind the oak by the lake." After looking a moment, Sirius grabbed hold of the wand and removed the gauze. Muttering under his breath, he pointed the wand at the wound. The skin seared from the spell, causing Dioleh to cry out in pain. Looking down, she saw that it had healed to nothing more than a scar.

Without a moment's waste, she transformed so she was human again. Sitting up with a wince, she asked wearily, "Why did you save me?"

"Would you have preferred I didn't?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. She pursed her lips, taking back her wand and getting to her feet. The wound still hurt but it was far better than it had been before.

"Thank you, Mr. Black," she said. He looked surprised at being addressed so, but he merely nodded. "I won't tell anyone you're here," she added, walking past him to head back to the castle.

"Much appreciated," he replied.

"Wait, what am I saying?" she exclaimed, rounding on him again. "You're trying to kill Harry! That's why you're here!"

"No!" he cried, glancing around desperately to make sure they weren't overheard. "Not Harry. I would never hurt Harry!"

"How am I supposed to believe that?!" Dioleh shouted.

"He's my godson!" Sirius whispered desperately.

Dioleh was momentarily shocked by this revelation until she whispered, "What?"

With a sigh, Sirius asked, "What's your name?"

"Dioleh," she replied. "Dioleh Mar-" With a sigh, she corrected, "Granger."

"Listen to me, Dioleh," Sirius said. "I take it you're friends with Harry?"

"He's my adopted sister's best friend," she replied.

"Okay, I swear on my life I would never hurt him," Sirius promised. "If I truly planned to kill him why would I have saved you and not just kill you? Or why would I not just threaten to tell the Ministry what you are? Or have they stopped discriminating against your kind?"

"Is that a threat?" Dioleh growled angrily, taking a step closer to him. "Because I have a wand and a myriad of spells at my disposal and you have nothing."

"No," he replied. "It certainly is not a threat. Contrary to what the Ministry will tell you, I don't want to hurt innocent people. They are lying about me. Surely you of all people can understand that." Dioleh stared at him for a long time, her eyes narrowed ever so slightly and her chin raised.

After a long time, she said, "Fine. I'll take your word for it, but if I ever find out you plan to hurt Harry, I will kill you."

"I thought you weren't friends with him."

"I'm not," Dioleh replied. "He's important to Hermione so he's important to me." Without another word, she left and headed for the castle. Once she was in the privacy of her dormitory, she raised her shirt just enough to see the grisly scar crossing her abdomen. Grimacing, she let the fabric fall over the scar and changed for bed.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Dioleh couldn't help but feel apprehensive for the first lesson in Defence Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin, they had heard, was teaching them about dangerous dark creatures. As a siren, Dioleh had seen several different kinds of creatures during her time in the sea and in the lake, but she had never been able to bring herself to see them as evil. Dementors maybe, but not the others.

The classroom was empty when Imani and Dioleh entered the room and sat in seats in the back. After a few minutes, Professor Lupin appeared, setting his briefcase on the desk as he said, "Good afternoon. Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

"This is different," Imani said, stashing her stuff in her bag.

"Good different though," Dioleh replied. "At least, I hope so."

"Right then, if you'd follow me," Lupin said. Everyone got up out of their seats and followed him out of the classroom. Andre caught up to Dioleh and Imani as they walked down the halls and finally into the staffroom. Opening the door, Lupin instructed, "Inside, please."

To everyone's surprise, they were met with a rattling cupboard. "Inside this cupboard is a boggart," he explained. "Can anyone tell me what a boggart is?"

"It's a shape-shifter," Andre said. "They take the shape of whatever it thinks will scare you the most."

"Very good, Andre," Professor Lupin said. Said boy looked surprised Lupin knew his name. "The charm that repels a boggart is simple, yet it requires force of mind. You see, the thing that really finishes a boggart is laughter. What you need to do is force it to become something amusing. We will practice the charm without wands first. After me, please...Riddikulus!" The class repeated after him.

Behind them, Draco muttered, "This class is ridiculous." Dioleh rolled her eyes, turning to shoot him a glare.

"Now, I need a volunteer," Professor Lupin said. When no one raised their hand, Lupin suggested, "Ms. Kanumba?" Imani stepped forward nervously. "So what is your greatest fear?" he asked.

Swallowing, she admitted, "I-I don't know, sir."

"Well, then just do your best," he suggested.

Giving Imani a worried look, Andre suggested, "Professor, why don't I go instead?" After looking at him for a moment, Lupin nodded. Gratefully, Imani moved back to stand with Dioleh as Andre went forward.

"So, do you know what your greatest fear is?" Lupin asked.

"Yes," Andre replied, setting his jaw.

"Do you know how to make it funny?"

"I sure hope so," Andre replied. Lupin nodded and moved over to the cupboard. At Andre's nod, he threw it open. Instantly, Dioleh let out a scream. From the cupboard emerged a huge sea dragon. Dioleh and Imani, who had both grown up hearing stories of sea dragons, backed up instantly while Andre raised his wand shakily against it. "R-Riddikulus."

Instantly, the dragon changed into nothing more than bubbles. "Excellent!" Lupin called. "Line up everyone!" Dioleh instantly moved to the back of the line, hoping she wouldn't get her chance. The boggart went through student after student until it was facing Dioleh. Instantly, it shifted to the form of a body on the ground. Dioleh screamed, seeing the pink hair of her best friend. Imani herself was right behind Dioleh and paled at the sight.

Then it shifted to the dead body of Hermione. Next Jean Granger. Then Oscar Granger. Then Andre. Lupin moved forward to step in, but Dioleh raised her wand and shouted, "Riddikulus!" The boggart cowered, shifted into a blob of water before exploding into smoke. Dioleh breathed out, her anger and fear quelled as she lowered her wand. Nothing remained of the creature other than the disappearing smoke that quickly became nothing. The class was stunned into silence. Thankfully, the bell rang and Dioleh was able to grab her stuff and dash out before anyone had a chance to say anything.