81. Hope

"So, what's our plan?" Imani asked as Andre joined them at the Slytherin table.

"Plan for what?" Draco asked, taking the seat by Dioleh. Imani and Andre shared a hesitant look.

"We could use his help," Dioleh said to them in a low voice. "You both know we can't do this on our own."

"Are you sure, Dioleh?" Imani asked.

"No, but here goes nothing," she sighed. "The Ministry has created a potion that if poured into any water source will kill all sirens in said body of water." Draco raised his eyebrows in surprise. "We all have family out there so we decided we're breaking into the Ministry to get rid of it."

His eyes widening, Draco whispered, "Are you crazy?"

"Probably," Dioleh replied nonchalantly with a shrug. "Better than burning it all down." Imani shot her a glare. Under her breath, Dioleh prompted, "Dray, you need to eat." She had spent the last week making sure he was eating. But today, she was more worried about him than before. It was the first time he was going to have to face Umbridge.

"I'll be fine," he replied.

"Just one piece of toast," she bartered.

"Fine," Draco sighed, reaching forward to take one. "So what's your plan?"

"We don't have one yet," Andre admitted.

"Well, something like that would be in the most secure part of the Ministry," Draco said, nibbling at his toast.

"Which is...?" Imani pressed.

"It doesn't matter, you can't find your way through there," Draco countered.

"Could you?" Andre asked.

After hesitating a moment, Draco sighed, "Maybe."

"Then will you help us?" Dioleh asked. He sighed, glancing at her. She was being careful to keep her expression reserved, but her eyes betrayed her hope.

"I don't know if that's a good idea," he said. Andre sighed disappointedly.

"Give us a minute," Dioleh said, glancing at Imani and Andre. They nodded, turning back to their food as Dioleh and Draco left the table and stood off to the side and out of earshot of everyone else. "Dray, I'm not saying you should do anything illegal with us, but if you help us, you could help us save our families. I know you're dealing with a lot right now, but maybe the distraction would help."

"I've been trying to distract myself," he said, "but nothing works."

"What could be more distracting than a potentially fatal mission to destroy the one thing that could cause an entire species' extinction?" Dioleh replied with a small smile. Draco couldn't help the small laugh that left his lips.

With a sigh, Draco decided, "Okay, I'll help." Before she could think better of it, Dioleh let out an excited squeal, wrapping her arms around him. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he couldn't help but smile. When Dioleh had found out what happened, at first he had been scared she would start treating him like some broken object, but as the days went on, he saw that she was, for the most part, treating him the exact same as before. The only difference was she was more worried about if he was eating or sleeping.

"Thank you, Dray. You have no idea how much this means to me," she said quietly and he was startled to hear in her voice that she was fighting back tears. Pulling away from him, she smiled with happy tears filling her eyes. "The only biological family I have left is out there and I haven't gotten to meet them yet."

Taking her hands in his, he said, "Then I promise to do everything I can to make sure you get to meet them."

"Thank you so much, Dray," she said. Once they had returned, Andre and Imani looked up hopefully. "I'll do it," Draco said. "I'll help." An excited cheer arose from the group and Andre gave the happiest, most genuine smile Draco had ever seen him with.

"Thank you, Malfoy," Andre said, giving an appreciative nod.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Dioleh broke away from Imani as she spotted Draco standing by the entrance to Umbridge's classroom. Blaise was standing next to him, looking confused. Without a word, Dioleh slipped her hand into his and whispered, "You don't have to do this, you know."

"Yes I do," he replied in a low voice.

"Everything will be okay," she assured, briefly running her thumb along the back of his hand before entering and going to her seat. A few minutes later, Draco and Blaise took their usual seats. Glancing behind her, Dioleh saw with satisfaction that aside from being slightly pale, Draco seemed completely at ease even when Umbridge herself entered the room.

"Open your books and please begin chapter three of your books," she ordered in her high, girlish voice. "There will be no need to talk."