179. A Surprise Visit

One Year Later

The faint dinging of the doorbell seemed far off to Dioleh as she lay on the couch nearly asleep in Malfoy Manor. She had stopped by that morning to visit and, now late afternoon, had yet to depart. She was lying with her head on Draco's chest and a disregarded book in hand. He was somehow still awake. With a small sigh, Draco glanced towards the door. He wanted nothing more than to pretend he hadn't heard anything and just go back to his book. There was a second ring. With an irritable sigh, Draco set aside his book and gently moved Dioleh off of him. She was fully awake not a second later.

"Give me just a second, love," he said, leaning down to press his lips to hers.

"Okay," she replied, lying fully on the couch and taking up her book again. The halls of Malfoy Manor were bright and warm in the afternoon light and although it was quiet, as Andromeda had taken the boys on a day trip to the coast, there was a sure feel that it was a house lived in, adding to its warmth. Draco stopped by the door, looking out through the peephole. He could see only a faint wisp of hair to the right. Frowning, he unbolted and opened the door.

Before he had a moment to react, he had been disarmed and a wand was pointing at his throat. The man before him had long greasy hair and dark circles under his eyes. He was thinner than Draco had ever seen him and although he looked rather sickly, there was a determination in his eyes thus unseen.

"Where is he?" Theodore asked lowly.

"Who?" Draco replied with equal calmness.

"You know bloody well who," Nott spat. "Where's Leo? You had no right to take him, Malfoy." Draco let out a long breath, closing his eyes briefly as he thanked anything and everything that Andromeda had chosen today to take the boys to the beach.

Finally, he opened his eyes again and said, "He's not here."

"Then where is he?" Nott growled.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Dioleh felt her eyes get heavy as she tried to focus on her book. Finally giving up, she set it aside and got slightly unsteadily to her feet and moved down a few hallways until she could hear faint voices.

"Dray?" she called softly. Coming around the corner, she stumbled to a stop. "Theodore," she said softly. In the surprise of her coming, Nott had pressed Draco back against the wall, his wand at his throat. "Let him go," she said. There was a slight quiver in her speech.

"He's here for Leo, Dio," Dray explained.

"He's not here," Dioleh said instantly.

"Then where is he?" Theodore snapped desperately. Neither Draco nor Dioleh said a word. As he began speaking again, Dioleh began to slowly reach for her wand. "He is all I have and you will let me take him!"

"No," Draco said calmly. "I can't let you do that."

"He is my brother!" Theodore shouted.

"And he is my ward," Draco replied with such tranquility it was beginning to throw off Nott. "Which means I'm responsible for his safety and well-being, both of which I believe would be in danger with you. Leo isn't going anywhere."

"You selfish bastard!" Nott shouted, pressing Draco back more against the wall as he knocked his head back. "He's my baby brother! You can't keep him from me!"

"The laws surrounding my organization dictate that the children can only visit an incarcerated family member," Draco retorted. "If you really want to see him, get yourself in Azkaban. Turn yourself in."

"Stand down, Nott," Dioleh ordered, raising her wand against him. "Back away from Draco." Theodore's jaw clenched and anger burned in his eyes. He did not move. "This is your last warning," Dioleh snapped. "Move or I start casting spells."

When he still didn't move, Draco said, "Think about it, Nott, you know you can't beat her in a duel." Letting out a long breath, Theodore lowered his wand. Draco and Dioleh glanced at each other and in the split second their focus was shifted, Nott raised his wand again, knocking Dioleh back into the wall behind her.

"Dioleh!" Draco cried, rushed towards her.

Cupping her cheek with one hand, he felt along the back of her head for any injuries as she said, "I'm fine. I'm fine." Theodore had disappeared out the door. Finally convinced she was all right, Draco helped her to her feet and rushed to find his wand.

"I need to warn Andromeda," he said frantically. "She can't bring any of the boys back here."

"He can't know who all is with you, can he?" Dioleh asked worriedly.

"It's not that hard to figure out," Draco replied anxiously. "I'm going to reach out to Andromeda. Tell Harry what happened. The auror office has been looking for Nott for a year. They need to know what happened."

"We need to go see him," Dioleh decided. "Will you come with me?" Nodding, he sent off his message to Andromeda and Dioleh grabbed her bag from the sitting room.