158. Family

Although living space was quite tight in the tent with all eight of them, the group found themselves having a rather good time researching, studying, and talking over the next several weeks. Much of that time was, of course, spent either trying to work out how to get into Malfoy Manor undetected with theories crazier than Dumbledore himself, including everything from elaborate cloaking measures with Polyjuice to just strolling in at the dead of night, trying to figure out where Hufflepuff's cup was, or learning about the Deathly Hollows, a recent obsession of Harry's. Despite all the time they spent buried in books or discussing these things, all of them felt better with the company they were now with. Despite their initial annoyance at the constant joking, bickering, and sarcasm of the other five, Harry, Ron, and Hermione could not help but notice that they did help to lighten the mood and make the time a little more enjoyable. Hermione and Harry noticed in particular that it seemed to keep Ron in a much more hopeful and cheerful mood.

Hermione and Dioleh were both so happy to see one another again that they spent a great deal of time together whether it was with their studying or keeping watch outside. The group had grown so friendly with each other that Harry even agreed to explain everything about the Horcruxes to Draco with the excuse that his knowledge of the large, pureblood families might come in useful in their search. In truth, the group quickly became like a family in those weeks together. They spent plenty of time cooking, talking, and working together until all old grievances of the past, even Harry's almost murder, were forgotten and forgiven.

It was during one of these evenings, a cool one in March, that Ron was lazily tapping away at his old radio, trying to find the right frequency for some show he had told them about that delivered news from the Order. Harry was standing watch outside while Draco attempted to help him figure out how to use the old Blackthorn wand Ron had given him. Imani, Dioleh, and Hermione were chatting in a corner while Blaise and Andre played a round of wizard's chess, which Ron had recently gotten them obsessed with. Finally, Ron let out an excited cry and shouted, "I've got it! Password was Albus. Get in here, guys!" The two boys rushed in and all eight of them crowded around to listen.

"...apologize for our temporary absence from the airwaves, which was due to a number of house calls in our area by those charming Death Eaters," a familiar voice said.

"Isn't that Lee Jordan?" Draco said.

"Yup!" Ron cried excitedly. "Cool, eh?"

"...now found ourselves another secure location," Lee was saying. "And I'm pleased to tell you that two of our regular contributors have joined me here this evening. Evening, boys!"

"Hi," one replied.

"Evening, River," the other said.

"But before we hear from Royal and Romulus," Lee went on, "let's take a moment to report those deaths that the Wizarding Wireless Network News and Daily Prophet don't think important enough to mention. It is with great regret that we inform our listeners of the murders of Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell." Draco went very pale as Harry suddenly looked like he might be sick. "A goblin by the name of Gornuk was also killed. It is believed that Muggle-born Dean Thomas and a second goblin, both believe to have been travelling with Tonks, Cresswell, and Gornuk may have escaped. If Dean is listening, or if anyone has any knowledge of his whereabouts, his parents and sisters are desperate for news."

"Meanwhile," Lee went on, "a Muggle family in Gaddley has been found dead in their home. Muggle authorities are attributing the death to a gas leak, but members of the Order of the Phoenix inform me that it was the Killing Curse. Finally, we regret to inform our listeners that the remains of Bathilda Bagshot have been discovered in Godric's Hollow. The evidence is that she died several months ago. The Order of the Phoenix informs us that her body showed unmistakable signs of injuries inflicted by Dark Magic. Listeners, I'd like to invite you now to join us in a minute's silence for all of those lost."

The silence that followed was one of the loudest Dioleh had ever witnessed. Draco still looked as though he was going to be sick. It was with a start that Dioleh remembered that Ted Tonks was Draco's uncle. "Thank you," Lee said. "Now, I have one more piece of news I'd like to bring to you all. A Death Eater by the name of Draco Malfoy has fled You-Know-Who's ranks and the Order would like very much to question him both about why he left and to see what information he has they can use to end this war. If anyone sees or comes in contact with Draco, we ask you to please let us know. And now, over to Romulus for Pals of Potter."

"Thanks, River," Remus said. Dioleh's eyes widened.

"Romulus, you maintain, as you have every time you've appeared on our program, that Harry Potter is still alive?" Lee said.

"I do," Remus said firmly. "There is no doubt at all in my mind that his death would be proclaimed as widely as possible by the Death Eaters if it had happened because it would strike a deadly blow to the morale of those resisting the new regime. The Boy Who Lived remains a symbol of everything for which we are fighting: the triumph of good, the power of innocence, the need to keep resisting."

"And what would you say to Harry if you knew he was listening, Romulus?" Lee asked.

"I'd tell him we're all with him in spirit," Remus said. "And I'd tell him to follow his instincts, which are usually good and nearly always right." Harry sent a smug look over to Hermione who had been fighting him at every turn over the Deathly Hollows.

"Nearly always right," she repeated, sending back a glare.

"And our usual update on those friends of Harry Potter's who are suffering for their allegiance?" Lee said.

"As some may or may not know, the house of the famous witch Evanora Zabini was burned down last week as Death Eaters searched for her son, Blaise Zabini who has, through various connections, been tied both to Harry Potter and the escaped Death Eater, Draco Malfoy, as a friend with whom Harry might seek refuge," Remus explained.

"What?!" Blaise cried, his eyes wide. "Mum's going to kill me."

"Sh!" everyone hissed.

"The seventeen-year-old boy seems to have gotten away and is now on the run," Remus resumed. "We can all only hope he remains safe during these times."

"Sorry about the house, mate," Andre said. Blaise groaned again, his head falling onto his arms.

"I loved that house," he lamented.

"Me too," Dioleh muttered just as the final words of the broadcast streamed through the speakers.

"Good, eh?" Ron said, sitting back up as the eight of them spread out again.

"Brilliant," Harry agreed with a wide grin.

"It's so brave of them," Hermione said. "If they were found..."

"Well, they keep on the move, don't they?" Dioleh asked, looking at Ron.

"Course they do," he replied happily.

"I can't believe he burned my house down," Blaise lamented. "Mum's fourth husband got us that house. Best thing he ever gave us."

"But see, he's getting really desperate," Harry said excitedly. "He's still abroad and giving orders from afar. He's still looking for the Elder Wand! I knew it!"

"Harry-" Hermione began in exasperation.

"Come on, Hermione, why are you so determined not to admit it?" Harry asked. He was so excited his mouth was moving faster than his mind. "Vol-"

"HARRY NO!" Ron shouted.

Before the words had left his mouth, the momentum of Harry's speech forced out the rest. "-demort's after the Elder Wand!" Loud cracks echoed around them as the spells protecting them disappeared.

Thinking fast, Dioleh turned to Draco, quickly whispering, "Change your appearance. Now." Quickly he did so, changing his white-blond hair brown and his eyes deep chocolate before he darkened Dioleh's hair again and turned her eyes brown. Andre and Imani had already changed their hair colours to black as Hermione sent a spell straight at Harry.

"Come out with your hands up!" a rasping voice ordered. "We know you're in there! You've got half a dozen wands pointing at you and we don't care who we curse!"