19. Out of the Blue

For the rest of the day, Dioleh did not see Imani. She searched through the Great Hall, the grounds, and even got into the lake through the new passageway through the kitchens. Finally, she trooped into the dorms only to find the curtains to Imani's bed were down. Thankfully the other girls were out so there was no question that the sobs coming from inside the green curtains were from her best friend.

Softly, Dioleh said, "Imani?" The sobs softened for a moment as Dioleh parted the curtains. Imani's soft brown eyes were red with tears that streamed down her cheeks and fell down onto her dark hands. "Imani," Dioleh said, sitting down next to her and grabbing onto her hands. "What's wrong?" She cried harder, unable to speak. Without another word, Dioleh wrapped her arms around her. Imani hugged her back, continuing to cry and gasp for breath.

Her voice thick with tears, Imani sobbed, "I'm so scared, Dio."

"Why are you scared, honey?" Dioleh asked, running a hand through Imani's hair to help calm her.

"Y-Your boggart just reminded me of what could happen," she said, still crying. "And poor Andre-" She was consumed in her tears again. "After Julio, I just-"

"I know," Dioleh whispered, her eyes filling with tears. "I'm so sorry."

"And now with the murderer out, I just don't want to lose anyone," Imani cried. Dioleh felt a pang in her chest at the mention of Sirius Black. She still hadn't told Imani.

"Imani, I have to tell you something," Dioleh said cautiously. Imani looked up at her, her brows furrowed. Taking in a deep breath, Dioleh admitted, "I've met him. Sirius Black."

"What?" Imani gasped. "When?"

"When we met with Mucus," Dioleh admitted. "I was swimming around the lake and accidentally hit a Selkie. They didn't know who or what I was, so they stabbed me. Just instincts, it wasn't on purpose."

"Dioleh," Imani gasped, raising her shirt and seeing the scar.

"Imani, he saved my life," Dioleh admitted, covering up the scar again.

"Oh my god," she breathed in shock. "You could have been killed!"

"He said that the Ministry was wrong about him," Dioleh said. "I don't know how much I'm willing to believe that."

"How about not at all?" Imani retorted.

With a sigh, Dioleh replied, "Imani, if they've been wrong about us for all these years, is it so hard to believe they might be wrong about him too?" Imani sighed, clearly not in the mood to discuss it.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Later that night, Dioleh grabbed her bag and headed out into the common room. As it was around one in the morning, she expected it to be empty. However, she was swiftly disappointed when she saw that someone was down there. Draco was staring at a piece of parchment with only a few lines written on it. His hand was in his hair and he seemed extremely frustrated. Choosing to ignore him, Dioleh sat down in her usual place and pulled out her Potions essay.

Try as she might, Dioleh was fascinated by the behavioural differences between Draco around his friends and now when he was with someone he didn't seem to care anything for. She nearly screamed in surprise when he said, "Are you any good at Transfiguration?" He sounded tired and even a little bit worried.

"Yes," she replied, only just managing to keep her voice even.

Suddenly very awkward, he asked, "Oh, uh, well could you..." Dioleh smirked, amused at his sudden awkwardness. Who knew Draco Malfoy could be so awkward.

"You want some help?" Dioleh offered with a smirk.

"Sure," he replied, quickly running a hand through his hair. Dioleh took her work and sat down next to him to read what he had so far.

"Well, not bad for a start," she said. "But you need to talk more about the process of turning into an animagi. More background details." Going back and forth from his notes and his essay, he worked steadily through his work while Dioleh finished the last paragraph of her own essay for Potions.

"Okay, I finished," Draco said, a hint of pride in his voice, pride Dioleh felt he, for once, deserved.

Dioleh quickly read through it and said, "Oh Draco, I don't know how to tell you this, but-" His expression fell. "This is really good."

He rolled his eyes, taking back the essay and replying, "Oh, haha."

Letting out a laugh, Dioleh remarked, "You care a lot more than you let on, don't you?" He shrugged, putting away his essay and getting out the book they were supposed to read for Charms.

Before he started reading, he asked, "Dioleh, why do you hate me?" There was no animosity in his tone just genuine curiosity. Dioleh was startled by his inquiry.

"I don't hate you," she said slightly airily, not looking up from her Defense Against the Dark Arts essay.

"You act like you do."

Dioleh sighed, "Well, you annoy me. I've never been able to tolerate a bully."

"I'm not-"

"Oh come on, Draco," Dioleh snapped, her voice finally losing the airy quality. "You flaunt your father's power and wealth as a means to intimidate and belittle people and act as though your stupid blood status means anything. You're a bully."

"If I'm such a bully why are you talking to me right now?" Draco retorted.

"Why do you hate Harry, Ron, and Hermione?" Dioleh asked, pausing in her writing. He shrugged. "Well, actually, I know why you hate Hermione and Ron. Hermione is muggle-born and Ron is a pureblooded wizard who doesn't agree with your father's ideals."

"What about your parents?" Draco asked, trying to change the subject. Instantly, Dioleh felt her throat constrict.

"They, uh," she began, her voice far weaker than she meant it to be. "They're dead. My mother was murdered when I was four and my father was killed first year." Draco was taken aback by her honestly, but Dioleh had never been the sort to hide her trauma and pain from anyone that cared to ask.

"Oh, sorry," Draco said slightly awkwardly. After a pause he admitted, "I don't know what I'd do if my parents passed away."

"Yeah, it's not easy," Dioleh said.

"Do you remember your mother?" Draco asked.

Frowning, Dioleh replied, "Yes, a little but not much. I remember she and I used to make jewellery together. She made this for me right before she died." Dioleh showed him the black cord necklace with the blue pearl. "I don't think I've ever taken it off since she died."

"What about your dad? I mean, were you two close?"

"Yeah," Dioleh replied. "He used to take me to the beach every week. We'd...go scuba diving."

"Did you, er, every feel like your dad wasn't always-" Draco began before clearing his throat. "Never mind. I should get some sleep. Thanks for your help." Dioleh nodded and he was gone.

"Weirdest conversation ever," Dioleh muttered, packing up her stuff and heading back to her dorm.