124. Bitter Parting

The next morning, Dioleh quickly found an empty compartment on the train and got her trunk up into the top rack. When she turned back to take her seat, she saw three people standing at the doorway. With a smile, she said, "Hey guys. Joining me?"

"Of course," Blaise replied, stepping inside and accepting Dioleh's embrace. He had grown his hair out and it now hung in small twists.

"Hey Andre, Imani," she said, embracing them in turn. Once they had all settled, she asked, "Everyone have a decent holiday?"

"Decent, I suppose," Andre replied. "My family was a bit stressed out for most of it. They almost took us all back to the sea to avoid this war."

"My dad wanted me to," Imani admitted. "But I convinced him to let me stay."

"Mum's quite stressed," Blaise said. "She doesn't like all this war stuff going on."

Glancing towards the door cautiously, Dioleh said, "I saw Draco."

"What?" Imani said quickly. "Where? When?"

"A week ago in Diagon Alley," Dioleh explained. "In Madam Malkin's."

"What happened?" Andre asked cautiously.

"Nothing I shouldn't have expected," Dioleh muttered bitterly. "He called Hermione a you-know-what."

"So it's true then," Blaise sighed, leaning back. "He's gone back."

"Is there any chance there's an explanation?" Andre asked, looking between Dioleh and Blaise.

"No idea," Blaise replied. "But-" Before he could finish his sentence, the door slid open. Speak of the devil.

Irritably, Imani snapped, "Can we help you?"

A brief flash of hurt crossed his face but he ignored it and asked hesitantly, "Dioleh, can we talk?"

"Seriously?" Andre scoffed, shooting him a glare.

"Andre," Dioleh said quietly. "It's fine." Getting to her feet, she followed Draco out the door. They walked in silence side-by-side until they reached the very back of the train which was out of sight of any of the compartments. Rounding on him, Dioleh asked, "What do you want?"

"Dioleh, I just-"

"Nope," she snapped, glaring at him dangerously. "That's not how you start this conversation. Explain what the hell is going on with you."

"Look, it's just been really hard with my father," Draco began offhandedly, not meeting her fierce gaze.

"Not good enough," Dioleh interrupted harshly. "I get it, Draco, I get that what you're going through is something I can't understand but it does not explain why you would insult my sister and my friends. And Blaise said you're hanging out with Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott again? What the hell is going on with you?"

"You wouldn't understand," Draco replied with a slightly arrogant tone to his voice.

"You're right. I wouldn't," Dioleh said bitterly. "I can't really understand something that isn't explained to me." Draco briefly met her eyes. Although he could tell she was trying her best to be angry with him, he could see the hurt shining in her eyes through the bitter tears she wasn't allowing to fall. Taking a threatening step towards him, Dioleh said warningly, "I told you once that you were on your last chance. You have five seconds to tell me why I shouldn't dump you right here and right now."

Drawing in a deep breath, he gave a careless shrug and replied, "Then I guess we'll have a rather quiet five seconds." Dioleh stared at him, her eyes slightly wide as her heart pounded in her chest. Although Draco was avoiding her gaze, he could tell she was shaking. Finally, he said, "But look to the positives. Being with you made me realize I want to be with someone I actually care about." He pushed off where he was leaning against the wall and took a step towards her. Dioleh stepped back, her back against the wall. Swallowing forcefully, he said, "I would say I'm going to miss you, but I don't plan on wasting the energy to lie on you." Dioleh stayed where she was, frozen in place as he pulled away and turned from her. Knowing she couldn't see his face, he said, "I hope you look back on our history fondly. Then at least one of us will."

Dioleh stayed frozen in place, staring at him in shock. He stayed motionless as the final words he knew he must say rang around his head. Cursing himself, he turned back around. "The truth is, Dioleh, I never cared about you. I just felt bad that someone as gorgeous as you had such a revolting personality that no one dared come near you. I mean, did you seriously never wonder why no one ever tried to ask you out?" Nothing he was saying processed properly in her mind as he started to turn away again. Part of her wanted to follow after him and demand to know what was going on, but the larger, stronger part of her couldn't move.

Finally, she said quietly, "What?" Draco froze, regret flashing across his face before he neutralized his expression and turned back to face her with a raised eyebrow.

"What else needs made clear?" Draco retorted.

"Wait, Dray, what...what is happening?" Dioleh snapped. "Where is this coming from?"

Suddenly angry, he took several steps toward her and snapped, "Maybe if you had taken two seconds to listen to me you'd know that nothing you tried to push on me could possibly be what I want."

"What?" Dioleh breathed. "Draco, I gave you the choice. I never-"

"Is that what you tell yourself?" Draco spat. Turning away from her, he headed down the train, muttering curses to himself. Dioleh felt numb. When she finally felt like she could move again, she moved numbly down the train until she came back to her compartment. Opening the door, she reclaimed her seat, unaware of the three curious stares being cast in her direction.

"Dioleh?" Imani said. "What happened?"

"He dumped me," Dioleh said finally.

"What?" Blaise said in surprise, his brows furrowed.

"H-He said," Dioleh broke off. Her mind was scattered. "I asked for an explanation and he just...he didn't even try."

"Was he nasty about it?" Andre asked hesitantly.

"No," Dioleh lied.

"Are you sure, Dioleh, you're shaking," Imani said gently, taking her trembling hands in her own.

"Y-Yeah, I-I'm fine," she stuttered breathily. Blaise and Andre shared doubtful looks.

"You sure, Dio?" Blaise asked.

"Y-Yeah," Dioleh said, attempting to sound like she usually did. Before she could help it, a tear escaped and Imani wrapped her arms tightly around her. Frowning, Blaise tugged on Andre's sleeve and pulled him out of the compartment.

"What?" Andre said, glancing back into the compartment to check on Dioleh. She was crying bitterly.

"Doesn't this strike you as odd?" Blaise asked.

"Not really," Andre admitted. "Think about it. Whether we like it or not, through Dioleh we're tied to Harry and by extension Dumbledore. Draco blames the two of them for his father getting locked up so he doesn't feel like he can go to us about his dad so he goes to the only people who might understand."

"Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott," Blaise filled in with a sigh.

"Exactly," Andre replied. "So he goes back to them, stops talking to all of us, and through bad influence, he goes back to his old ways. Honestly, this was why I didn't want them to get together at first. But then..."

"Yeah, I thought he had changed too," Blaise sighed.

"But look, that doesn't matter right now," Andre said. "We need to be there for Dioleh. I'm going to go get her some chocolate. It usually cheers her up. Can you go get her some water?"

"Yeah," Blaise replied. "I'll be back in a few minutes then." Andre nodded and went off to find the food trolley.