43. Imperi- What?

Draco and Dioleh were all smiles as they came into Moody's class just after the golden trio. Spotting them, Draco suddenly lost his smile, looking terribly nervous. Swallowing, he dashed to his seat, looking regretful. Dioleh, who hadn't noticed as she searched through her bag for a book, sat down next to him, handing it over as she explained, "So I know you said you really like Stephen King. This is one of his most famous novels."

"The Shining?" Draco read, sending her a doubtful glance. "What is that?"

Rolling her eyes, she countered, "Have I ever disappointed with my book recommendations?"

He sighed in exasperation before smirking and teasing, "Always has to be right." Without bothering to verbally respond, she hit his arm, causing him to let out a laugh. He quickly stifled it when he saw Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott come into the room. Nott's look of venom towards Dioleh was so potent her heart froze for a moment. Glaring back, Draco said quietly, "He's pissed I've stopped hanging out with him. That's why he's being more of an arse than usual."

Frowning, Dioleh asked, "Why would that make him target me, though?" Draco didn't answer, choosing to use Moody's entrance as an excuse.

"Today, we'll be seeing how well each of you can resist the Imperius Curse," Moody announced, stopping in front of his desk. "Get up."

Everyone stood as Hermione protested, "But - but you said it's illegal, Professor." Moody cleared away all the desks, leaving a large space empty in the middle of the room.

"Dumbledore wants you to know what it feels like," Moody replied. "But if you'd rather learn the hard way, off you go." Dioleh watched as each of her classmates did things they never would have done otherwise. Next, he called, "Malfoy." Draco went forward, seemingly a little worriedly. "Imperio," Moody said, pointing his wand at him.

As Draco began to do backflips, Imani grabbed onto Dioleh and whispered, "This curse won't affect us at all. He's going to either think we're really good at this or he'll realize what we are."

"We can leave," Dioleh replied quietly. "He basically told Hermione to buzz off."

"Why would Dumbledore do this if he knows?" Imani asked.

Her eyes widening, Dioleh realized, "Because he doesn't. He doesn't know that a curse like this won't affect us."

"It wouldn't, would it?" Imani asked, unsure. While it was true that cursed objects meant to harm wizards or witches wouldn't hurt them, neither knew about how this would hurt them.

"Granger," Moody called, looking at Dioleh.

"I guess we're going to find out," Dioleh whispered back. She stepped forward, drawing in a deep breath and casting an anxious look at her sister.

"Imperio," Moody growled. Instantly, Dioleh felt her head split open. She cried out, grabbing onto her head and falling to the floor. Moody stared at her in shock as he took off the curse. She stopped screaming but didn't make a move to sit up as she lay panting on the floor. Narrowing his eyes at her, Moody remarked, "I've never seen someone react that way." Dioleh, petrified, didn't answer as Imani and Hermione rushed forward to help her up.

"I think I need to go to the hospital wing," Dioleh said weakly.

"I'll take her," Imani said instantly. Before Moody or anyone else could say anything, the two sirens were out the door. Imani got Dioleh to Dumbledore's office just as the Gargoyle opened and he stepped out. He stopped at the sight of them.

"Come in," he said. The three went into his office and sat down. "What happened?"

"Moody was performing the Imperius Curse and she just-" Imani began.

"It was like my head was on fire," Dioleh interrupted. "It felt like my head was splitting open."

With a frown, Dumbledore mused, "Interesting. The three unforgivable curses may be lethal in different ways to sirens."

"We need to warn Andre," Imani said. "If he has to go under the curse tomorrow in class and he reacts the same way people are going to start suspecting things."

"There's time," Dumbledore said dismissively. "In the meantime, I'll come up with an excuse for Alastor. Is the pain gone?"

"Mostly," Dioleh replied. It had become nothing more than a dull throb.

"Then you should probably both be getting on to class," he said. Nodding, Dioleh and Imani left, choosing to avoid the rest of the DADA lesson.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The moment it was time for dinner, Dioleh and Imani found Andre at the Ravenclaw table talking to Terry Boot. Stopping by him, Imani said, "We need to talk to you."

Getting the hint, Terry got up and said, "I'll see you later, Andre." Andre ignored him, sensing the panic from the other two as they sat down.

In a whisper, Dioleh explained, "We need to tell you something."

"Okay, what is it?" he asked, brows furrowed.

"Not here," Imani said, glancing distrustfully around them. "Let's head toward the woods early so we can explain." Andre nodded, getting one last bite of his steak as Imani grabbed an apple from the pile. Dioleh had no appetite.

Once they were crossing the grounds, Dioleh explained, "Moody is performing the Imperius Curse on everyone in the class. You can't let him use it on you."

"Not that I want him to, but why?" Andre asked.

"Because Dioleh fell to the ground screaming in pain," Imani snapped anxiously. "I got out of it by saying I would take her to the hospital wing. You need to get out of it somehow too."

"Okay," he said just as they came to the Forbidden Forest.

After walking a few feet inside, Dioleh called softly, "Sirius?"

"Dioleh," he replied, stepping forward with a grave expression on his face. "We need to talk."