25. Division

The moment Dioleh came back from the holidays, she came across Harry leaving the Great Hall. "Harry!" she called.

He stopped, turned, and walked with her while he replied, "Hey, Dioleh. Have a good Christmas?"

"Yeah, it was great," she replied. "How about you? Did you have fun with Ron and Hermione?"

"Well, er, it's a bit complicated," he said.

Brows furrowed in worry, Dioleh asked, "Did something happen? Is everyone all right?"

"Er, Hermione's sort of avoiding us," he admitted awkwardly. "I got this broom for Christmas and Hermione thought Sirius Black had sent it because it didn't have a note."

"Oh," she said. "But why would she be mad about that?"

"Well, er," Harry said. "She told McGonagall and it was just completely unnecessary."

"Harry," Dioleh sighed. "I'll see you later."

"Where're you going?" he asked.

"To find my sister," she replied, heading for the library. She found Hermione in a back corner reading and quickly sat down next to her.

"Dioleh," she said brightly. "How're Mum and Dad?"

"They're good," Dioleh said. "I heard what happened between you and the boys. Are you okay?"

Solemnly, she said, "I was just trying to help."

"I know," Dioleh sighed, wrapping her arm around Hermione as she lay her head on Dioleh's shoulder. "It's okay. They're just stupid boys being stupid." Hermione laughed a little at that.

"What'd you get for Christmas?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, some books, some earrings, and this ring," Dioleh replied, showing her the diamond and emerald ring.

Sitting up, Hermione asked, "Who gave you that?"

"No idea actually," Dioleh admitted. "It didn't come with a note."

"And you just put it on?" Hermione hissed.

"Hermione, no one's trying to kill me," Dioleh replied, chuckling slightly. And she couldn't be harmed by objects enchanted to harm humans, but she wasn't going to tell Hermione that. "I'll see you later, okay?" Hermione nodded and Dioleh left to go back to her common room.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The next night, Dioleh was up late in the common room in the little book nook when someone came in, searching through the books along the wall. Glancing up, she saw it was Draco. "Hey Draco," she said, beginning to fiddle with her quill.

"Oh, hi," he said, glancing back. "Have a good holiday?"

"It was fine," she replied. "You?"

Instead of answering, he asked, "Know anything good to read?" Dioleh got to her feet, moving over to a bookshelf just to his right to take down a small book bound in blue leather.

"If you're looking for a really good read, I'd suggest this one." She held it out to him.

"What's it about?" he asked, taking the book from her and looking at the cover.

"It's about the son of a convicted serial killer," she explained. "It's about how the world tried to make him what his father was and his struggle to be himself and not his father."

Glancing up from the book, Draco asked, "And did he? Did he find who he was?"

"Well, I guess you'll just have to read it to find out," Dioleh replied with a teasing smile. At his annoyed look, she laughed, "What's the fun if I just tell you? You have to experience it yourself. It's kind of dark, but I have a feeling that won't be a problem for you."

"Wow, thanks," he said sarcastically.

With a laugh, she said, "It wasn't an insult, Dray. Trust me, I'd be the biggest hypocrite in the world if I judged anyone for reading and enjoying dark literature."

"The perfect Dioleh Granger has a dark side," Draco said, looking at her with interest.

"We all have a dark side," Dioleh countered. "Some of us are just better at hiding it. You might want to check out some of the no-maj literature. It's quite good and if you like dark stories, Stephen King all the way."

"But there wouldn't be any magic," he protested. Dioleh laughed, going back to sit in her seat. "What's the fun without magic?"

"But a book is just how that particular author sees the world," Dioleh countered. "It's their vision. I find it fascinating."

"Of course you would," he said offhandedly.

Frowning, Dioleh asked, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just, you seem like the type, that's all," Draco said with a shrug.

"Well, it's beautiful," Dioleh defended, her eyes lighting up. "I mean, think about it. That author chose to weave together those words in exactly that way to tell that story. It's a piece of their soul, Draco."

"I can't tell if that's beautiful or psychotic," Draco said after a moment of silence.

Rolling her eyes, Dioleh said, "You're a jerk. Now stop talking to me, I need to finish this essay before tomorrow."

"What class?"

"Charms, the bane of my existence," Dioleh muttered irritably.

Sitting down next to her, Draco offered, "Need some help? I've been known to be quite good at Charms."

After thinking a moment, Dioleh sighed, "Okay, fine." Draco took the essay from her and quickly read over it.

"Okay, so here's your issue," he explained, setting it back down, "You're thinking about it all wrong. It's not a transfiguration spell. You're not changing everything about whatever you're spelling. You just add to what's already there."

"But wouldn't you be transforming the molecules that you're charming, like with Transfiguration?" Dioleh countered, brows furrowed as she attempted to understand.

"Yes, but you're building up off of what's already there," Draco explained patiently. "Not changing the entire thing."

"But you're still changing specific molecules to change into a specific thing as you would with Transfiguration, therefore it should be like small scale Transfiguration," Dioleh argued.

"Do you always have to be right?" Draco asked in exasperation.

"I do not always have to be right," Dioleh countered. Draco snorted. "I do not!"

"Whatever you say, love," he replied, still looking doubtful.

"You're such a jerk," Dioleh laughed, hitting his arm playfully. Draco burst out laughing.

Suddenly, a shocked voice said, "Dio?"