178. A Drop of Heaven

"How'd it go?" Draco asked, hanging up his coat.

Dioleh, who had just come down the stairs, said, "It was fine. I ended up hanging out with Leo for a lot of it." Draco's head darted up.

"Oh?" he said hesitantly. "Did he say anything? I haven't really gotten him to open up."

With a small shrug, Dioleh admitted, "Just that he misses his brother." Biting her bottom lip absentmindedly, Dioleh asked, "Dray, do you know whatever happened to Theodore?"

"He was never found," Draco explained. "They have no idea what happened to him. The Ministry is still looking."

"I see why you care for them so much, Draco," Dioleh said softly. "I didn't really see Preston, but the others are just so..."

"I know," Draco remarked with a soft smile. "I actually need to get started on dinner for them."

Raising an eyebrow, Dioleh said, "You cook?"

"On occasion," he replied. "More now that I'm looking after five boys. I swear they could eat an entire house."

Letting out a laugh, Dioleh said, "I can help if you like."

"Thank you, but you've done so much already," Draco replied. "I couldn't ask that of you."

"I don't mind," Dioleh said. "What're you making?"

"Chicken fettuccine alfredo," he explained, opening the refrigerator and beginning to collect ingredients. "I'll start on the sauce if you can work on the chicken?"

"Sounds good," Dioleh replied just as there was a loud knock on the front door. Setting aside the food in his hands, Draco left the room. Raising an eyebrow at the seasoning Draco had handed her for the chicken, Dioleh opened a cabinet and took out a few more herbs and seasonings and got to work. When Draco returned a few minutes later, he was followed by a tall boy who looked to be sixteen or seventeen.

"Jackson, this is my...friend, Dioleh," Draco introduced. Dioleh snorted, turning back to the cooktop.

"Hi, Jackson," Dioleh said, still repressing a laugh.

"So, what's up?" Draco asked, turning back to the sauce.

"Uh, I got kicked out," he admitted.

Brows furrowed, Draco quickly looked up, abandoning his cooking. "What? Why?"

"The neighbours were vandalizing my aunt's house. I guess she got worried about her kids and she said she wouldn't keep me around anymore," Jackson explained as Dioleh turned the chicken on the other side and slid behind Draco to work on the sauce.

"I'm sorry," Draco said. "Stay for dinner, okay?"

"But where am I supposed to live?" Jackson asked. "I have no one else, Draco."

"You have me," Draco countered. "I wasn't kidding when I said you all have a place here. If there is no one else, you can live here with me and the other boys."

"You should start a boy band," Dioleh said with a teasing smile. Despite how teary his eyes had become, Jackson still let out a laugh.

"Thank you so much, Draco, for everything you've done for us," Jackson said.

"Don't thank me," Draco said calmly. "Thank Dioleh. She's the one who showed me the power of a good influence."

"I wasn't that good of an influence," Dioleh muttered, dumping in the cheese.

"Right, you just showed me the error of my ways and allowed me to be myself for the first time in my life," Draco said sarcastically. "No big deal." Rolling her eyes, Dioleh quickly elbowed him.

"Ow," he said, sending her a glare.

"Oh come on, there is no way that hurt," Dioleh chuckled. "Now am I doing all the cooking or are you going to help me?"

"Yeah, yeah," he said. Turning to Jackson, he added, "Why don't you go hang out with the boys until dinner's ready."

"Okay and thanks again," Jackson said.

"No problem." Once Jackson had gone, Draco filled a pot with water and set it on the stovetop to boil while Dioleh cut the chicken into small pieces. After setting a cover over the pot, Draco moved beside Dioleh and asked, "How are you doing?"

"I'm actually doing really well," Dioleh replied with a smile. "I still have my bad days and weeks and I'm sure I always will, but...I'm happy for the first time in a while."

"I'm glad," Draco replied, pouring the noodles into the boiling water. "I was worried about you after the war."

"Well, I have amazing friends," Dioleh said with a warm smile, not looking up as she nudged him with her shoulder.

Raising an eyebrow, he replied, "Friends, huh?"

"Hm," Dioleh said softly. "Perhaps one of them isn't exactly a friend."

"Then what am I?" Draco asked. Dioleh held back a laugh as she gave him an amused look.

"Well that depends," she replied.

"On what?" he asked softly. His voice had lowered to a whisper.

"I suppose it depends on what you're about to do," Dioleh replied absentmindedly, setting aside the knife and turning back to lean against the counter.

"Draco when's dinner going to be ready?" Lorenzo asked, skidding to a halt outside the kitchen door.

Covering her mouth to hide her wide smile, Dioleh bit back a laugh as Draco replied, "In just a few minutes. Can you call the others down?"

"Sure," he replied, rushing off again. Finally letting out her laugh, Dioleh kissed Draco's cheek before taking the strainer from the counter and moving over to the sink with it while Draco grabbed the pot from the cooktop. Once the noodles were separated from the water, they quickly added the chicken and sauce with the noodles back into the pot.

As Draco grabbed a stack of plates from the cabinet, Dioleh said, "Well, I shall leave you to your dinner. I must be going home."

"Are you sure?" Draco asked. "You helped cook, it's only fair for you to eat with us."

Dioleh considered a moment before deciding, "Perhaps another time, Dray."

"Alright, then," Draco sighed. "I'll walk you to the door."

"Alright," Dioleh said.

As they passed the dining room, Lorenzo and Caleb rushed out and upon seeing that they were headed for the door, cried out, "You're not staying?"

With a warm smile, Dioleh said, "No, I need to be going home, but I'm sure you will have an amazing time with Draco."

"Aw," Caleb pouted.

"I promise I'll stay for dinner one day," Dioleh said kindly.

Instantly both boys brightened. "Yay!"

"Alright, say goodbye to Miss Dioleh," Draco said with a repressed smile.

"Bye Miss Dioleh!" several voices called.

"Bye," Dioleh replied warmly.

When they reached the door, Draco said, "Thank you for today. I don't know what I would have done without you."

"I'm sure the great Draco Malfoy would've figured it out," Dioleh joked.

"Perhaps," Draco began teasingly, "you were my solution."

"Malfoy, upping your flirting game," Dioleh dramatically gasped. "How times have changed."

"Oh, shut it," Draco laughed. "I'll see you soon. Goodnight, Dioleh."

"Goodnight," Dioleh replied.