48. Christmas Day and Everything Else

When Dioleh came into the common room it was to find Imani sitting alone in the book nook. "Hey," Dioleh said. "Guess what?"

"What?" Imani asked.

"I got asked to the ball," Dioleh said cheerfully.

With a gasp, Imani asked, "By who?"

"Harry," Dioleh said.

Confused, Imani repeated, "Harry? But I thought-"

Before she could finish, Draco approached them and said, "Dioleh, can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure," she replied, glancing back at Imani who looked as though she was dreading what was about to happen.

Once they were out of earshot of everyone, Draco asked, "So, er, I was wondering if you would go to the ball with me."

"Oh," she said, her eyes wide. "Oh, Merlin. Dray, I'm so sorry, I-"

"You're going with someone else," he said in a defeated-sounding tone.

"Dray-" Dioleh began, reaching out to his elbow. He backed away, skillfully avoiding the touch. When the awkward silence became deafening, Dioleh said, "I really am sorry, Dray." He nodded before heading to his dorm. Dioleh sighed, rubbing her eyes wearily as she went back to her seat with Imani.

"He asked you, didn't he?" Imani said sadly.

"Yeah," Dioleh said with a sigh. "I feel terrible."

"Dioleh, if you could choose, like, if they had both asked you at the same time, who would you choose?" Imani asked.

"I don't know," Dioleh said. "I care about both of them. They're my friends. I hate that I hurt one of them."

"I know you do," Imani said. "Because you care quite a lot."

"Don't make it sound like such a bad thing," Dioleh said woefully.

Smiling, Imani said, "It's not a bad thing. That's why you made Andre ask me instead of you, wasn't it?" Dioleh shrugged.

Getting up, she said, "I should get some sleep. Goodnight, Imani."

"Goodnight, Dio," she replied.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Christmas morning dawned bright and cold. Dioleh was awoken by the sounds of the other girls opening their presents. Sitting up, she turned to her own pile and began opening her gifts. Oscar and Jean had given her several books while Hermione, Ron, and Harry had all given her candy and, in Harry's case, a small notebook. To her surprise, she had also gotten a gift from Draco.

(Black-gold instead of gold)

It was a simple emerald pendant with a black-gold snake coiled over the top, hanging from a chain. "Who gave you that?" Imani asked with a small gasp, looking at it in shock.