23. The Start of Christmas Break

Dioleh was sitting in the common room working around eleven when someone suddenly sat down next to her. "You quit?" Draco said.

"Hello to you too, Dray," she said with a sigh.

"Why'd you quit?" he asked. "You were one of the best players we had. You can't just-"

"I told you, Draco," Dioleh interrupted. "I won't play the way you and Flint are trying to get me to. If I was to play in our next match and win, it wouldn't be a real victory. Why can't you see that? It's not fair to the other teams."

"Why do you care so much?" he asked with narrowed eyes.

"Why can't you see what's wrong with this?" Dioleh snapped back.

"I don't see what the big deal is," Draco countered with a shrug.

"Clearly." Rolling her eyes, Dioleh muttered, "Whatever, Malfoy."

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Over the months following the match, Dioleh spent all her time with Imani and Andre until she finally found that she was in a compartment on the train with Imani. Andre and Hermione had decided to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas so it was just the two of them going back. Imani's parents were out of town so she decided, at Dioleh's invitation, to spend Christmas with the Grangers. Once they got to the platform, Dioleh spotted Jean and Oscar waiting for her.

"Hello, dear," Jean said, embracing her adoptive daughter.

"Hey," Dioleh said, hugging her back. "This is Imani. Imani, this is Jean and Oscar."

"Hello," Imani said, smiling. "Thank you for letting me stay for the holiday."

"Of course, we're so glad to meet one of Dioleh's friends," Oscar said. "Let's get into the car." The four walked back to the car and loaded up.

Once they were driving, Oscar asked, "How is school going, girls?"

"All right," Dioleh replied. "This one guy is being a pain, though."

"Boys already?" Oscar said. "I thought there was more time than that."

Dioleh let out a laugh and replied, "No, not like that. He's just...he can't figure out if he's arrogant and annoying or if he's actually a decent person."

"I told you," Imani said with a smug look. "You should have just ignored him the moment you met him."

"Whatever," Dioleh said with a laugh, shoving her lightly. In general, the car ride home was a pleasant one as the four spent most of it catching each other up on their lives and talking over their Christmas plans. Imani could see why Dioleh loved Hermione's parents. They did not seem deflated in the slightest that their adoptive daughter was the only one coming home for Christmas.

Opening her bedroom door, Dioleh said, "Here is my room. Sorry we don't have a guest room."

"No, it's alright," she replied, setting down her stuff.

"Here's the air mattress, dear," Jean said, handing it to Dioleh.

"Thanks, Jean," Dioleh replied, taking it from her and beginning to lay it flat.

"What's an air mattress?" Imani asked, brows furrowed.

Shrugging, Dioleh explained, "I think it's just a mattress filled with air."

"That it is," Oscar said, coming into the room with the pump. "I'll get it all set up for you."

"Thanks, Oscar," Dioleh said. He said not to mention it and fifteen minutes later, the mattress was all set up.

"Dinner will be ready in about half an hour."

"Okay!" the two girls called back.

Once he was gone, Imani said, "They seem really great."

A warm smile crossing her face, Dioleh replied, "They are." They got sheets on the mattress and were just finishing unpacking when they were called for dinner. The two girls were still laughing about some joke Imani had said when they came down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Oh, my favourite." Jean had made chicken fettuccine alfredo.

While they were eating, Oscar asked, "So what do your parents do, Imani?"

"Oh, my mum works for the Ministry of Magic and my dad is a marine biologist," she explained.

"Ah, and what kinds of creatures does he study?" Jean asked.

"He studies sharks," Imani said. "He gets to travel all over the world which he really enjoys so it makes him really happy."

Since everyone had mostly finished, Dioleh suggested, "Anyone want to play a board game with me?" When everyone had agreed, Dioleh got out Monopoly and after they had cleared the table, the four set up the game. An hour later, Dioleh was scheming to steal Park Place from Oscar to complete her set while Imani was attempting to barter for Indiana Avenue. Around eleven, they all decided to call it quits and cleaned up.

"Goodnight!" Jean called as the girls headed up after dishes and the game had been cleaned and put away.

"Goodnight!" they chorused, running up the stairs.

Once in Dioleh's room, Imani asked, "You want to go to sleep yet?"

"Nah," Dioleh replied. "Unless you want to?"

"Not quite yet," she replied. They did, however, change and get in bed.

"Imani?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know why you have panic attacks?" Dioleh asked. "Or do they just happen?"

Imani thought a moment before she replied, "I don't think there was really a cause when I started having anxiety, I just...did. What about you?"

"I think part of it is just because of what happened when I was young," Dioleh replied with a sigh. "But I don't think anxiety always has a cause. Maybe things that worsen it, but not cause it."

"Yeah," Imani replied. They lay in silence for a long time, trying to figure out something to say until they suddenly drifted off into sleep.