33. Looming Cloud

Dioleh went ahead slightly, walking just behind the twins and looking up to watch as the sun rose. As she walked, she braided her long hair so it hung in a long side braid. Soon, the sun rose, painting the sky with oranges, and yellows, and pinks. Dioleh loved watching as the sun rose or set. She could only just remember as a little siren being held in her mother's arms as they sang to the sun with their tribe. It was how her mother had grown up, singing to add to the beauty around them as the sun rose, set, or when the moon appeared, the eclipses, blood moons, blue moons, etc.

It was a never-ending list of things her mother once sang to and about. Her mother's songs had never left Dioleh's head, even after she had been gone so long. Her father took up singing them after she was gone as if to remind Dioleh of her mother. It was the only way he didn't fall apart, to bring his wife back through her music. Dioleh rubbed her eyes. Thinking about her mother was not something she wanted to be doing at the moment. She reflected, instead, on what she had heard last night. Julio must have been freaking out if he was anxious enough to let her into his mind.

Before she could reflect on it too much, Mr. Weasley said, "Well, we've made it in good time. We've got ten minutes. Now we just need the portkey. It won't be big, come on."

A few minutes into looking, a voice shouted, "Over here, Arthur! Over here, son, we've got it!" Turning, Dioleh saw a short wizard with a tall boy behind him. The boy was at least two inches taller than his father and had short brown hair and chocolate eyes.

"Amos!" Mr. Weasley said, shaking hands with him. "This is Amos Diggory, everyone. He works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. And I think you know his son, Cedric?"

"Hi," Cedric said with a little wave. Everyone, apart from Fred and George, said hi back.

"Long walk, Arthur?" Mr. Diggory asked.

"Not too bad," Mr. Weasley replied. "We live just on the other side of the village here, you?"

"Had to get up at two, didn't we, Ced?" Mr. Diggory replied. "I tell you, I'll be glad when he's got his apparation test. Still, not complaining. Quidditch World Cup, wouldn't miss it for a sackful of gallons and the tickets cost about that. Mind you looks like I got off easy. All these yours, Arthur?"

"Oh no, only the redheads," he replied. "This is Hermione and Dioleh, friend of Ron's and Harry, another friend."

"Merlin's beard," Mr. Diggory exclaimed. "Harry? Harry Potter? Ced's talked about you, of course. Told us all about playing against you last year. I said to him, I said - Ced, that'll be something to tell your grandchildren, that will...You beat Harry Potter."

"Harry fell off his broom, Dad," Cedric countered. "I told you...it was an accident."

"Yes, but you didn't fall off, did you?" Mr. Diggory replied. "Always modest, our Ced, always the gentleman. But the best man won, I'm sure Harry'd say the same, wouldn't you, eh? One falls off his broom, one stays on, you don't need to be a genius to tell which one's the better flyer."

Glancing at her watch, Dioleh, who had sensed the tension, remarked, "Shouldn't we be going soon?"

"Yes," Mr. Weasley agreed, also looking at his watch. "We should be going any second now. Gather round. Three...two," Mr. Weasley counted down. "One." Instantly, each of them was jerked upward and disappeared only to appear again at the top of another hill. Dioleh fell hard, coughing slightly from the force of the impact.

"Ow," Dioleh groaned. Resisting the urge to chuckle, Cedric offered her his hand. Taking it, she got to her feet. "Thanks." He smiled and nodded before following after his father to their campsite.

"Ah, look, here we are," Mr. Weasley said, approaching a campsite. Getting out the tent, he said, "Here, Harry, where do you reckon we should start?" Harry glanced at Hermione and Dioleh. Hermione, the only one of them that had ever been camping, stepped forward first and they eventually got it all set up.

After dropping off her stuff in the girl's tent, Dioleh decided to go exploring. She quickly told the others where she was going and headed out into the mass of witches and wizards. The main reason she had wanted to walk around was to see the other tents. As Mr. Weasley had told them earlier, witches and wizards couldn't resist showing off when they were around each other. She had walked quite a ways when she found a three-story tent with a live peacock on the top.

"Like it?" a voice behind her asked. Turning, Dioleh spotted Draco. "Mum and Dad said it was necessary to keep up appearances."

"A bit rambunctious for my tastes," she replied. He laughed, casting the tent a considering look.

"Perhaps you're right," he said.

With a dramatic gasp, Dioleh turned to look at him and teased, "Dray, did you, the Draco Malfoy just say that I am right?"

Waving his hand dismissively, he corrected, "I technically said perhaps." Dioleh laughed.

"It's good to see you, Dray," she said, smiling widely.

"You too, love," he replied. The tent flapped open and out came a man with long blond hair and grey eyes, much like Draco himself. Draco's confidence faltered slightly as he swallowed and his happy smile fell.

"Draco," the man said, approaching them. "Who is this?"

"Father, this is Dioleh," Draco explained. "Dioleh, this is my father." There was a sudden tensity to his voice that hadn't been there before.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Malfoy," Dioleh said, accepting his handshake. His grip was strong, causing Dioleh's easy smile to fall. Snatching back her hand, Dioleh said, "Well, I should be heading back. Good to see you."

"I'll walk you back," Draco offered. She nodded, casting Mr. Malfoy a disparaging look.