174. The Rodriguez Trial

Dioleh became vaguely aware of her surroundings as a loud clang sounded somewhere to her right. Opening her eyes, she tried to focus her hazy gaze to see what was happening, but nothing around her was clear. Pulling herself to lean against the wall, she said, "Dray?"

"Dioleh," he said quickly, rushing to the bars between them. "How are you feeling?"

"Like my head is full of cotton," she replied. Her speech was slightly slurred. "What's going on?"

"I just got back from my trial," he explained. "How did yours go?"

"I own know," Dioleh replied hazily. "'Mione was there."

"She was at mine too," Draco said. "So was Harry."

"Potter up there condemning you with the rest?" Blaise said snappishly.

"No," Draco replied. "They're just not listening to him. The Ministry is in shambles and they're rushing these trials."

"Clearly," Blaise scoffed. Rolling his eyes, Draco looked back towards Dioleh to see that she was passed out. With a small sigh, he leaned back and rubbed his temple to soothe the pounding of his head.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Andre stumbled as he was led into the courtroom, his mind still hazy from the drugs in his system. The five days in Azkaban had left him looking very ill. Aside from being thinner, he too had dark circles and was very pale. The guard harshly shoved him into the seat. The trio in the audience had wide eyes as they saw how shakily he turned himself around to sit.

Tiredly, the judge said, "Andre Rodriquez. How do you plead?"

"To what?" he replied. His voice was a croak.

"To the charges against you," he snapped.

"Yes, I'm a bloody siren," he said weakly. "So what? I have done nothing to anyone. I can't."

"What do you mean, you can't?" the judge replied.

"Our voices don't do anything. The worst I could do to you is blow you off a cliff," Andre groaned. "We don't pose any more of a threat than you witches do."

"Crawford!" a bellowing voice cried. Turning toward the doorway, they saw Kingsley Shackbolt approach, his robes flowing behind him in such a way that Harry was reminded slightly painfully of Severus Snape. "I did not authorize the prosecution of these sirens, Malfoy, or Zabini. As Minister of Magic, I hereby pardon them of any illegal activities they may or may not have committed."

"B-But, Minister-" he began.

"Enough!" Kingsley cried. "Fetch Dioleh Granger, Blaise Zabini, Draco Malfoy, and Imani Kanumba from Azkaban immediately." Turning to Andre, Kingsley unchained him and asked, "What have they been drugging you with?"

"Ketamine," Andre replied weakly.

"I will see to it you are all looked after at St. Mungo's," Kingsley promised. "I'm very sorry this has all happened."

"Just let me see Imani," Andre asked, his voice breaking. "Don't keep me from her."

"I won't," Kingsley promised. Turning to one of the aurors that had followed him into the room, he ordered, "Once the other four arrive, take them to St. Mungo's and ensure they are not taken away from each other."

"Yes, Minister," she replied.

About an hour later, Imani arrived with Blaise and Draco who was supporting Dioleh along. The moment Hermione came in sight, Dioleh moved from Draco's arms to embrace Hermione. "Thank you," she whispered.

"Don't thank just me," Hermione replied. "Harry is the one who realized that Kingsley must not know what was happening since he knows all of you are innocent."

"Told you," Draco muttered, glancing over at Blaise.

"Whatever," Blaise snapped back.

"I'm to escort you all to St. Mungo's," a female voice said behind them. Turning, they saw a young, pleasant-looking auror. "You lot ready?"

"Yes," Draco said, wrapping his arm around Dioleh's waist and supporting her along as they headed for the door. Harry quickly got one door while the auror got the other. Hermione and Ron followed behind and soon all nine of them were in a car to head for the hospital.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

One Month Later

The oppressive heat of summer blazed against Dioleh's paler-than-usual skin as she walked briskly through Hogsmeade. Coming to the Three Broomsticks, she paused. Opening the door, she quickly scanned the room before spotting Draco sitting in a corner dressed in an emerald button-up rolled to the elbows and dress pants nursing a glass of butterbeer. "Draco," she said cordially.

"Dioleh, hey," he said quickly with a small smile. Although there was a tinge of grey under his eyes, he had gained back the lost weight and seemed to have mostly recovered. "How've you been?"

"Managing," Dioleh replied, glancing down at the table and absentmindedly spinning the fidget ring around her finger. "Hermione and I just got back from Australia to find Mum and Dad."

"I'm glad," Draco said. "I know you missed them."

"I did," Dioleh said carefully. "Listen, we need to talk."

"Yeah, I know," Draco sighed. "How are you really doing?"

"Not great," Dioleh admitted. "I'm leaving, actually. Not permanently, but I'm going to stay with Imani at her father's beach house for a few months."

"That's good," Draco said. "I know you've been missing the ocean."

"Dray, I know my well-being isn't all you want to talk about," Dioleh said quietly. "I don't want to lie to you or lead you on, so I need to tell you that I can't be with you right now. I need to process that the war is over and then, we can talk."

"Okay," Draco replied, unfazed. "I understand, Dio."