Chapter 38

Tommy stared at Liam in disbelief. Liam seemed to have realized his mistake because he immediately asked if something was wrong. Tommy was fuming, to say the least. "What do you mean what's wrong?!!? Why on EARTH would you like heroes?!" Tommy asked as he tried not to rage.

    Liam backed away, shocked. He had never seen this side of Tommy before, and he was sure he didn't want to see it ever again. "What do you mean?" Liam asked, trying to calm down a bit. "Why would you like heroes?" Tommy asked as he unclenched his fists in an attempt to calm down.

&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&

    I stared at Timothy in confusion and shock. "Why, what's wrong with heroes?" I asked, genuinely confused, then I remembered. "I mean, other than them not being here for the lower districts." I said, looking down in embarrassment. "Well, they're selfish and snobby for one reason." Timothy huffed as he rolled his eyes.

    "What do you mean?" I asked him again, taking one step closer. "Well, I'm sure that the longer you stay around here, Liam, you'll realize that life is not easy in the lower districts. Around every corner, someone's trying to kidnap you, steal from you, things like that. Some are just looking for fights." Timothy said, and I was pretty sure my face still showed signs of confusion.

    "But what does that have to do with you hating heroes?" I asked him as he rolled his eyes. "Well, I was getting to that. See if heroes dealt with these situations, they would just take the victim and throw the victim in their house and wouldn't check to see if the victim was okay or not. But vigilantes..." Timothy said, looking off into space.

    He talked about vigilantes as if he looked up to them instead of heroes. He talked about them as if he wanted to be like them one day, and not be a hero. Kids in the main part of the city would die to meet either Phil, Techno, or me, so it was no doubt that they would love to be one too one day.

    But Timothy, he was definitely the opposite. I was confused why and asked him to finish his sentence. "But vigilantes what?" I asked, and he snapped out of his trance. "But vigilantes would actually make sure the victim was safe, and they weren't hurt." Timothy said with a smile as he turned away.

    "What would make you trust heroes more than vigilantes?" I asked him, then I realized what I said and I clapped my hand over my mouth in shock as he turned around again. "What?" He asked, disbelief showing clearly on his face. I then realized that this could be a good question. "I said, what would make you trust heroes more than vigilantes?" I said, but with more confidence this time.

    He thought for a while, then shrugged. "Nothing I guess." He said, and a second later, a bell rang, signaling that someone entered the cafe. "Well, I'll go take their orders, ok? Bye!" Timothy said with a cheerful wave, acting as if nothing had happened as he left. I, however, was still frozen to my spot.

What the actual heck had just happened?