Chapter 63

The kids were sitting on some flattened cardboard boxes in the alley. Tommy's heart sank as he realized something. "Do... do you two live here?" Tommy asked as he squatted down to their level. Finley and Junior looked at each other, then looked back at Tommy. "Yeah!" Finley said cheerfully, and Tommy's heart ached. "B-but they're just kids..." Clementine said out loud, and Finley and Junior looked at Clementine.

    "WHOAA, IS THAT A FLOATING AXE?!?" Junior said in shock, his eyes wide. Tommy turned to face Clementine. "Wait did you say that out loud?" Tommy asked, and Clementine took a second to realize that they did. "Oops, yes, sorry!" Clementine said and quietly floated from the shadows to Tommy's side.

    Tommy smiled, patted Clementine, and looked back at the kids, who were still staring in shock. "Yeah, it is!" Tommy said and patted Junior's head. "Can we touch it, mister?" Junior asked, and Tommy smiled as his heart melted. Tommy nodded, and Finley and Junior rushed forward to touch Clementine. "Clementine, meet Finley and Junior. Finley and Junior, meet Clementine." Tommy said.

    Finley turned to Tommy, a confused look on her face. "But I thought the people on the news used to say that this axe was the Axe of Peace? Wait, is this a different axe?" Finley said, and Tommy shook his head gently. "No Finley, it is the Axe of Peace. But Clementine said their real name was Clementine because Axe of Peace was a boring name." Tommy explained gently to the child, and Finley nodded and looked at Clementine with stars in her big eyes.

    Both of the kids looked at and touched Clementine, and Clementine laughed gently. "I love these children. They are so cute!" Clementine told Tommy in his head, and Tommy smiled. "I know right! I wish I could give them a better home though..." Tommy told Clementine in his head, a frown on his face. "I wish the same too, Tommy." Clementine said, and they turned their attention back to the kids.

    "What can Clementine do, mister?" Junior said, looking at Tommy. Tommy smiled at Junior. "Well, my friend, Clementine can do many things. They help me fight bad guys, give me warnings about some things, and help me a lot in everything." Tommy said. "Oh, and also, you don't have to call me mister, you can just call me Tommy instead, ok Junior?" Tommy said as he patted the boy's head. Junior nodded and smiled. "Ok mister Tommy!" Junior said, and Tommy laughed.

    "If that's what you want to say, then fine." Tommy said, shaking his head and laughing. After a while of talking with the kids, Tommy got up and dusted himself off. "It was lovely talking to you Finley and Junior, but I have to go now, okay? Bye!" Tommy said. He opened his hand, and Clementine flew into Tommy's open hand. "Bye, mister Tommy!" the kids said as Tommy left the alley and went into a different alley. He changed out of his vigilante outfit and stuffed it in his backpack. Clementine shrunk and flew into one of the pockets in his backpack.

Then, the two of them headed back to the apartment.

&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&

    I looked around to find something that would haunt me forever. Fundy's blanket and bed were a mess, his blanket was falling off of his bed, and there were things everywhere. I wildly looked around, my heart pounding against my ribcage. My eyes fell onto the window over Fundy's desk, and I raced towards it. The window was wide open, which could only mean one thing.

Fundy was gone.