Chapter 127

I ran my hand through Wilbur's fluffy brown hair. His head was on my lap and he was lying across the sofa. "Techno..." He started. "Yeah?" I muttered. He sighed and then looked to the side. "I- do you still remember him...?" He muttered. "Who are you talking abo... oh..." I said as realization dawned on me.

    "Do you think he's still out there?" He said as his voice broke a bit. Now it was my turn to look away. I took a few deep breaths and then gave him my answer. "Yes," I said firmly. Wilbur looked at me with wide eyes. "But it's been so long since we've last seen him-" Wilbur said.

    "Wilbur, think about what you're saying. He is not the type to just give in. That kid was strong and would never go down without a fight. Trust me. You know how he acted." I said with a small laugh at the end. "Techno, do you think I could have protected him?" Wilbur muttered and looked away again. "Wilbur, I..." I trailed off.

    I didn't know what to say at this point. Of course, the obvious answer would be no, but he would still feel guilty. "I've broken every promise I made, Techno, the promises I made to our parents, the promises I made to those two, the promises I made to Fundy, I-I-" He said, and I watched as tears started to form in his eyes. I gently took his glasses off and placed them on the table beside the sofa. Then I wiped away the tear that started to roll down his face.

    "But you didn't break any promises that you made with me," I said, and he looked at me again. "That's because I never made a promise with you, Techno." He said. I smirked. "Oh really?" I said, and I watched as the corners of his lips turned slightly upwards.

    "Those promises were when we were kids, Tech-" He said with a small smile. "But they were still promises, weren't they?" I said with a grin. He playfully rolled his eyes as he sniffled a bit. "They weren't even serious, they don't count-" Wilbur said with a smile.

    "Well, how about the promise we made some years ago?" I said with a small smile. Wilbur's smile slowly turned into a small frown. "T-Techno, are you talking about the one with the r-" Wilbur stuttered, and my mood became serious too. The voices were now confused about what was going on but stayed silent.

    "Yes. I think that's a serious promise, don't you?" I said. Wilbur and I made eye contact for a split second, but then he looked away. "Wilbur. Look at me." Wilbur slowly looked at me but stayed silent.

    I gently got up, and Wilbur came to a sitting position on the sofa. I sat down on the floor in front of him and held his hand. "Wilbur..." I said as I looked up at him. He looked down at me and nodded. "Y-Yeah?" He said quietly.

    "Please, promise me you won't do what you did again. Please. I'm your twin brother, I care for you so much." I said as didn't break eye contact with him. Wilbur's breath hitched as he processed what I said as we looked at each other. Then he calmed down and nodded.

"I promise."