Chapter 174

I left the door open, just a bit, and continued down to Wilbur's room. I knocked and soon I heard a "Come in!" in response after hearing hurried shuffling. I gently opened the door and peered inside. Wilbur was standing stiffly by his window and smiling awkwardly at me.

    "Hey, Dad! What is it?" He asked. "Wilbur..." I said as I closed the door behind me after I walked in. "Yeah?" He said, trying to mask his nervousness but I saw right through him. "Where is it?" I asked and he tried to put on a look of confusion. "Where is what?" He asked and I walked over to him.

    "Hand it over, Wil," I said as I held my hand out. Wilbur laughed nervously. "Dad, you're being weird." He said as he stepped back a bit. I sighed. "William Minecraft," I said sternly, holding out my hand. Wilbur made a small noise that sounded like "eep," but he stepped back. "Dad, I don't know what you're talking about." He said nervously. I sighed again.

    "William, don't make me search your room," I said seriously. "I- I seriously don't know what you're talking about." He said as he quickly glanced at the door. I looked at him expectantly but when he didn't budge, I sighed and looked him up and down. "Turn around," I said sternly and Wilbur obeyed, but he was hesitant. I patted him down and saw something poking out of his back pocket. I swiftly yanked it out and Wilbur spun around. His expression dropped when he saw what was in my hand.

    It was a box of cigarettes. I stayed silent for a few seconds, processing the box. "Wilbur..." I said, still looking at the box. I opened it and saw it was half empty. I looked at him and he stared at me and the box with an unreadable expression. My stern expression melted into a hurt expression. "You said you'd stop..." I said and Wilbur looked away from me with an ashamed expression. "I'm sorry, I-" Wilbur said as he adjusted his beanie.

    "You were smoking before I came in, weren't you?" I asked as I looked at him with betrayal in my eyes. Wilbur kept his gaze away from me and I sighed. "It's not good for you, Wilbur..." I said as I tried to get him to look at me but he kept looking at the ground. I sighed and pocketed the box of cigarettes.

    "I'm holding onto this until I'm sure you can control your smoking problem," I said sternly and Wilbur's eyes widened as he finally snapped his head up to look at me. "B-But Dad-" I cut him off with a cold glare. "Don't make excuses, Wilbur," I said and Wilbur looked at me, then at the box.

    "But I wasn't smoking! I- I was just thinking about it!" Wilbur said but I shook my head and walked to the door in his room which opened up to his balcony. I walked onto the balcony and held up a small tray I saw on a table on the balcony.

    "If you weren't smoking, what is this?" I said as I held the ashtray out to him. The ashtray had a small cigarette butt which still had embers making it glow a bit, showing that it was lit recently. Wilbur looked away nervously. I sighed, putting the ashtray back.

    "Wilbur... is this about Fundy?" I asked gently, sitting down on his bed and motioning for him to sit down next to me. He sat down hesitantly but he kept his gaze on the ground. After a while, he nodded and my expression softened. I gently placed a hand on his back. "We'll find him, Wilbur. He'll be okay." I said, trying to console Wilbur who now had tears in his eyes.

    "I've let him down, Dad. What if I never see him again? What if I never get to see him smile or hear him laugh again?" He said as a small tear trickled down his cheek. I scooted closer to Wilbur and put my arm around him. "Everything will be alright, Wilbur," I murmured as I held him.

"Everything will be alright."