Chapter 136

Smoking was a way for me to cope with some things. Well, other than... No, I can't think about that right now. I put the box down, grabbed, the lighter, and put the cigarette in my mouth. Then I held the lighter up to the other end of the cigarette and lit it.

    I put the lighter down and inhaled with the cigarette still in my mouth. Then I took the cigarette out of my mouth and exhaled, letting smoke come out of my mouth. My mind was swimming in an ocean of thoughts, and I thought back to the day Fundy was born.

    Sally didn't want a child. But after some convincing, she was fine with it and learned to care for her future child. She wanted a girl and was very excited. I smiled as I thought of the old Sally. Then, the time had come, and Fundy was welcomed into the world.

    He was a quiet baby; he wasn't crying when he was born. Sally's eyes were filled with love and care as she looked at the bundle of blankets Fundy was in. Sally then brought Fundy up to her face and kissed his forehead as she closed her eyes, and tears started streaming out of her eyes. Then, slowly, the love was replaced with worry.

    "Wilbur, why isn't he crying?!" Sally asked, now worried for her child. I looked at her and smiled. "It's probably nothing, darling. Here, let me hold him." I said, and she reluctantly nodded and handed Fundy to me. I smiled as a felt a tear of happiness prick my eye. I held my pointer finger out to him and waited. Fundy pulled an arm out of the bundle of blankets and moved his hand around a bit.

    Then, finally, his tiny hand grasped my finger. As he did, he burst into tears. He started crying as tears streamed down his face. Sally gasped, and I smiled as I felt a tear of my own stream down my face.

    "My baby..." I murmured as I held him up to my face and kissed his forehead lovingly. I brought him back down to arm's level and shifted so Sally could also see Fundy. Then, he opened his eyes. Sally gasped, and my heart melted.

    He was adorable, with tear-filled big orange-brown eyes and ginger-coloured fox ears. He looked up at me, and from that moment on, I knew I was going to love him till the day I died. "As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you," I said and held him close as he slowly stopped crying. He started laughing, and Sally smiled lovingly.

    "Our child," I said as I looked at her. She nodded and smiled. "Our child." She said. I sighed as smoke came out of my mouth. I looked at the city below me and felt a pang of sadness as I stared.

    Oh, what I wouldn't give to be with Fundy right now. To comfort him, to hold him, to tell him everything would be okay, to tell him he was safe in my arms. I didn't realise I was crying until I felt a tear drip onto my hand. "Oh, Fundy..." I said.

"I love you so much..."