Chapter 65

"Well, who do you think took him?" Techno asked, and he whipped out his black notebook. He seemed to really care about that black notebook. He would never go anywhere without it. My mind instantly went to the stupid, idiotic vigilante from District 17. He could have been the one who kidnapped Fundy. I thought about it a bit more, then it clicked.

    "That stupid vigilante was the one who did that to my bedroom door!" I said. "Really?" Dad asked me, and I nodded. "There's always a can of red spray paint in the pocket of that vigilante's backpack." I confirmed, and then I thought about something else that made me turn pale.

    "WHAT IF HE'S THE ONE WHO KIDNAPPED FUNDY?!!? I mean, to do that to my door, he would have had to break into the house, and probably around the same time he broke in Fundy went missing." I said, and I clenched my fists tightly. "I. Hate. Vigilantes." I thought bitterly as I resisted the urge to punch a hole through the bedroom wall. "But mate, what if he's not the one who took Fundy? Maybe it could be someone else." Dad said, reaching for my hand, trying to comfort me.

    "Dad, who else could it have possibly been?! Only vigilantes do this type of stuff." I said stubbornly as I stared into his gentle eyes. He stared at me with a knowing gaze, and I knew exactly what he was thinking of. "Dad, are you serious?!" I said as I resisted the urge to facepalm. He shook his head no, and I knew he wasn't joking.

    "Dad, when she and I had a divorce, she didn't care about Fundy. She didn't care about him at all, and you know that. Heh, I bet she hardly even remembers his name-" I got cut off as I realized everyone was staring at me. I knew exactly what they were thinking about, and then everything around me turned white.

    After a while, the scene cleared and I was in a kitchen. A pretty run-down kitchen, which definitely wasn't in its best shape. As I looked around, I took in the scene. There were beer bottles everywhere, and most of them were broken or shattered. I looked in front of me and I saw a woman who looked like she was drunk out of her mind. She had messy, tangled red hair flowing down her back in loose curls, and she was holding a beer bottle in her hand which was almost finished. Her dress was wrinkled and ripped in some parts.

    "Wilbur, you're making a terrible mistake." The woman said as she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand angrily. I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms. "Oh yeah? Well, guess what, I'm taking full custody of Fundy, and you will not be able to do anything about it." I said confidently, and I stared at her. "Fine! I don't care! You can do whatever you want with that worthless mistake." She said as she took another gulp of her beer.

    My anger rose inside of me and I walked over to her. I gripped her throat tightly. "Don't. Ever. Speak. About. My. Son. Like. That. Do you understand?" I said angrily, and she scoffed. I blinked and I wasn't holding the same woman. This woman's eyes were soft, caring, and filled to the brim with innocence. But they were scared. "W-Wilbur?! L-love, w-what are you doing?!" She said, clearly scared.

    "W-What?" I said as my grip faltered for a second, and I shook my head firmly. I looked back at the lovely woman, then blinked my eyes. The image of the lovely woman flickered and the drunk woman from before appeared before me again for a second before changing back to the lovely woman. "I'm not going to let you manipulate me again, cheater." I said, then I used all my strength and threw her back.

    She got up with a grin. "Why do you care about that mistake so much, huh? You know what, I think that he's the one who stole you away from me!" She said as she raised her hand to try to hit me, but she got stopped when we both heard a small voice from the corner of the room. I turned my head to see Fundy, who was clutching one of his pillows with a scared expression on his innocent and pure face.

    "Mama? Papa? W-what's going on?" He asked as he came towards me. I swiftly picked him up and lovingly booped his nose. "Nothing, my little champion. Your mama and I are just having a little talk." I said, and he rested his head on my shoulder after a small nod. The woman looked at me and grinned. "Well, if you want to leave me, then I will take away everything that makes you happy. Including Fundy." She said Fundy's name like it was a disgusting object. I softly bounced Fundy and stared at her with angry eyes.

"Then I will make sure that you can't touch anything or anyone that I love ever again, Sally."