Chapter 44

Tommy watched as Phantom turned invisible, then came up behind the person with the gun, and hit the back of his head really hard. The person rocked back and forth for a while, then fell straight into the floor. Tommy winced as he heard a crack, meaning the person had probably broken their nose.

    Tommy stared at the person for a while, then looked up to see Phantom. Tommy couldn't believe it when he saw the look on Phantom's translucent face. It was a look of concern. Genuine concern. Like he actually cared about Tommy. Tommy became more confused the longer he stared into Phantom's face.

    "He's a hero! Most heroes don't even care about the victims! Maybe this is all an act?" Tommy thought as he tried to find a reason behind Phantom's concern. "Don't be silly Tommy, of course it's an act. Why else would he be concerned?" Tommy firmly thought to himself.

    He was snapped out of his thoughts as he saw that Phantom was extending his hand to him. Apparently, Tommy had sat down during his thoughts, because it looked like Phantom was trying to help him up from the floor. After a moment of being uncertain, Tommy took Phantom's hand.

&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&

    I hopefully held my hand out to Timothy, hoping he would take it. He looked like he was debating with himself if he should take it or not. I tried to make him more comfortable by giving him a warm, gentle smile, but I don't think he might have noticed it. Then, Timothy did something I was so sure he wouldn't do.

    He took my hand. The hand which belonged to a hero. The hand which belonged to one of the people he seemed to hate most in his life. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and smiled at him.

    But as soon as he stood up, he let go of my hand instantly, and he turned his head away from me. I was slightly hurt, but I decided to ignore it. "Hey, I just saved you, don't you think a 'Thank you!' would be nice?" I felt like asking, but I decided against it.

    Instead, I asked him something completely different. "Hey, are you ok?" I asked, reaching out my hand a little to try to gently grab his hand again. He seemed to snap out of his trance as he quickly turned to face me.

    "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He asked as he looked at me, and I stared at him in confusion. "You just almost got kidnapped! How are you so calm?!" I sputtered, and he looked at me weirdly. "Stuff like this happens all the time in District 17, and since when did heroes start caring about the poorer civilians?" Timothy asked as he stared at me as I took a deep breath.

    My heart ached a little when Timothy said that this happened all the time. He was so young, he didn't deserve to be dealing with things like this. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence, then I remembered what Timothy had told me back at the cafe. I looked at him, took a deep breath, and asked him a question.

"Would you mind if I walked you back to your house?"