Chapter 84

I signed to the man and hoped he would understand. He nodded and I let out a sigh of relief, then Mama dragged me away and turned to me with a glare. She then realized that she was being too angry and immediately softened her face, but I saw right through it. "Darling, you can't just talk to strangers, ok?" She said, and I nodded stiffly.

    "Yes, Mama..." I said, and she smiled, which made me feel terrified and want to run back to the kind man. "Come on now, you wouldn't want us to be late, right?" She said, and I stiffly nodded again and followed her. Soon we appeared at an old building which looked like it would collapse at any moment. She looked down at me and smiled, then looked back up. I shivered, now I was terrified. "Mama...?" I asked, hoping she wouldn't get mad and hit me like she used to. "Yes, darling?" She asked, and I gulped. She would never call me darling, she must be planning something.

    "Can I go back to Papa, please? I don't like it here, it smells like rotten cheese." I said as I looked around. I looked up at her and took a step back in fear. "Why? Don't you like being with Mama? Am I not good enough? Do you think your Papa is better than me?" She said, getting angry. I frantically shook my head, and she smiled which made me want to run out of here and get as far away from her as I could. "You see, darling, your father isn't a very nice man." She said after we sat down. My eyes widened and I shook my head. "No! He's a hero, he has to be nice!" I said in shock. Mama sighed.

    "No, darling. What if I told you... he's trying to kill the nice man you were with earlier?" She said as I felt sick to my stomach and that I was going to throw up for three reasons. One, this place smelled like rotten cheese and yoghurt. Two, there were cockroaches everywhere. Three, I refused to believe what Mama said. "You're lying!" I said as I looked at the door. She shook her head. "I'm your mama, I would never lie to you!" Mama said. "Papa would never do that! Even if he would, he has to have a good reason!" I said, and then I realized what trap I was falling into. I immediately started panicking, but I told myself to calm down. "Darling, would I ever lie to you?" Mama asked.

    "Yes. All. The. Time. You have no reason not to. You are the biggest liar I have seen." I thought, but I didn't say that because it would get me in trouble. "No, Mama..." I said, and she smiled sickeningly. "Good!" She said happily. "Mama, when can I go back to Papa?" I asked, thinking about what he would say if he were here with me. "He would probably say some really bad words to Mama, which I'm not allowed to say. Maybe he would even tell me I could join in once?" I thought and suppressed a small giggle.

    "Why are you asking about Papa?!" Mama said, and I realized I made a huge mistake. Her face was red with anger. The mask she was wearing with a smile was now shattered and I could see her true intentions. "He's not a good person!" She said, and I shook my head.

    "I know I'm young, but my mind is well beyond my years." I said coldly. I was a bit scared, but not too scared. I felt something make me stronger, and I smiled a bit. If I could just run for the door...

    Mama started laughing, and never mind, I wasn't just a bit scared. I was terrified. "Fundy, I thought you would be smarter! Never mind, I don't know what I was thinking. You're still the same dumb little brat you were three years ago." She said coldly, and I froze. Tears pricked my eyes, but I didn't let them fall as Mama kept on talking. "If you were smart, you would have known to play along so you would be safe and I wouldn't hurt you." She said, and then that was it.

    Without turning back, I ran as fast as I could to the door and heard multiple footsteps behind me. I froze. "I thought only Mama was here!" I thought, and then I felt someone grab me from behind. I whipped around and tried to fight them, but whoever was holding me was massive and strong. I watched as another pair of hands grabbed me, and I saw Mama. I immediately tried fighting her, but she slapped me hard across my face. Tears stung my eyes, but I tried to stay strong for Papa.

    "You stupid  brat... where did you think you were going?" She said angrily. "Back to Papa!" I said angrily, but then I broke down into tears. I really did try to stay strong for Papa, but too much was happening all at the same time. I gathered all the strength I had, and then punched Mama as hard as I could. She fell back and dropped me. I immediately ran for the door, but someone grabbed me and tied me to a chair.

    I saw Mama come closer to me, and my eyes widened in fear as I saw what she was holding. A metal bat, or was that a metal rod? I couldn't really tell, but she had something made out of metal and a sharp knife in her hands. She smiled, which again made me terrified. "Say goodnight brat..." Mama said.

Then she swung the bat at my head.