In Sickness and In Health

When he was sick... she took care of him. Now that she's come down with it... Sasuke is unsure as to what to do for her, until an old memory resurfaces.

A Blank period Sasusaku snippet.

.
.
.

His chakra pushed its way through his body (past his well allocated restrictions) and reached outwards with sightless tentacles towards the pink-haired Kunoichi, who was lying prone next to his side. He unconsciously pulled his bottom lip between his teeth and waited, checking his companion all over thoroughly before letting out a soft string of curses.

'Feverish cheeks, shivers, and slight sweating— you were careless again, Sakura. Here I go— troubling you again.'

Sasuke reached his lone appendage down to pull her thick cover tighter around her neck and tucked it gently beneath her shoulder blades before flipping his palm over to place it against her forehead. 'Slight fever as well. What should I do now?'

He couldn't remember what she had done when he was ill just a few days before, (due to being taken with his fever) but he did remember a remedy that his mother used to use when he or his brother were struck with illness. A soft brew tea that would help dissipate the chills and calm the aches from a sore and sickly body.

He rose to his feet silently and activated his eye in order to dissipate and quickly retrieve the items that he would need in order to make it for her.

Thirty minutes later...

Sakura woke slowly, the sweet scent of mint and rosemary assaulting her senses... combined with the warm heat of a roaring fire roused her from a restful slumber. She yawned and then stretched out her limbs, before quickly wincing in pain. The pinkette then let out a low groan as she turned onto her side.

"Take it easy...," she heard from a deep baritone to her left and her viridescent eyes slowly fluttered open; blinking the hours of sleep and fuzzy haze away several times, before they were finally able to focus on a lone figure resting next to the roaring fire. Her partner watched her closely with a calculated gaze while Sakura slowly lifted her aching body into a sitting position, her gaze never wavering from his.

"Sasuke-kun."

"How are you feeling," he asked, genuine concern etched in his voice while his exterior remained mostly stoic; apart from the small tick in his jaw and the minuscule creasing of his brows. Only Sakura would recognize the worry written all over his face. She tried for a reassuring smile, but knew that it would be pointless to try and deceive him when she saw the slight narrowing of his mismatched eyes.

'Sasuke-kun has always been able to read me like a book.' She decided to go with the truth as she shrugged her arms up then back down again. "Not great."

Without any form of verbal response, he lifted a boiling pot from its perch above the fire and tipped it carefully down; a long flowing stream of steaming liquid captured in the mug beneath it. Sasuke put the pot back in place and carefully lifted the mug before rising; he then made his way to her side and silently offered her the hot beverage. She didn't hesitate to take it from him and felt her fingertips warm at the touch as she wrapped them around the mug firmly. He watched silently when she took a long sip after blowing over the top a few times to cool it off first.

The taste of it hit the back of her tongue, almost instantly soothing her sore throat. "Wow," was all she could say and Sasuke simply nodded at her before turning his back to make his way over to the fire where he fixed himself a mug as well. They sat in silence for a while until Sakura broke it as the sun began to make its peak to the middle of the sky. "Thank you for this, Sasuke-kun. I feel loads better already but... what's in this stuff anyway? I know I smell rosemary and mint—"

He simply smirked as his gaze shifted to the open flames, their light dancing playfully in his dark irises. "It's a family secret. But maybe I will share it with you sometime."

The unspoken implication of the meaning behind his words sent Sakura's heart a flutter and she felt her pulse quicken despite her efforts to keep it at a steady rhythm. Her poor, fevered cheeks flamed anew, but she managed a genuine smile this time despite her embarrassment as she closed her eyes happily.

"Hai, Sasuke-kun. I'm looking forward to it!"