SnowFall

The winter-wonderland causes a sweet moment between soon-to-be husband and wife.

A blank-period sasusaku snippet.

(Inspired by some artwork I saw, but also the winter storm we just had! I wasn't sure how to end it, sorry. 😅)

.
.
.

The snow was really coming down now, swirling around them in a flurry of large and small flakes. If it wasn't for his skills as a shinobi, Sasuke would certainly lose his way.

As it was, he held onto his companion's hand more firmly, forcing her to walk in his literal footsteps, as they trudged through a nearly desolate town; searching for the inn that he had stayed at prior to this particular visit.

When the bottom of his left heel slipped on a thick sheet of ice, Sasuke cringed. The cold was chilling him to the bone, the cold, frigid temperatures seeping past the thin layer of his top, but he ignored it the best that he could... secure in his decision to give Sakura his cloak after much protesting on her part.

"Can you see it, Sasuke-kun? Are we almost there...," her voice drifted to him in the wind, which roared past his ears as its intensity suddenly began to pick up. He couldn't stop his body's involuntary action and shivered. Sasuke started to believe that he had gotten them lost, but then, just off in the distance, he spotted it, the soft glow coming from the inn's windows, and felt relief wash over him.

He had done it.

In this wintery storm, he had found their sanctuary.

He had found their oasis.

"Just ahead," he called back over his shoulder, tugging her along at a much faster pace. Or at least... he attempted to. But this skilled Shinobi had forgotten about one thing. The thick sheet of ice that lay dangerously beneath their feet.

He had almost completely forgotten about it in his haste to get them to a safe and warm place; that is, until he felt her weight tugging at his hand. Without warning Sakura's shoe had caught on a jagged edge protruding from a thick layer of snow and she began to slip... and any attempts to catch herself proved futile. He turned just in time to see her lose her footing completely, emerald eyes growing wide as she began to fall backwards.

Without a second thought, Sasuke swiveled on his heels, wrapping his arm around her torso, before swinging her to the other side of him. Then, he felt the rattling in his bones as his back hit the ground first, followed by Sakura landing not so gracefully on top of him.

Sasuke grunted as the wind was momentarily knocked out of him, but he remained silent otherwise...ignoring the chill against his exposed skin as he watched her gather herself after their sudden fall. Sakura was straddling his hips...her arms tucked up against him and her gloved hands pressed against his biceps, as she lifted up slightly to gaze down at him; a curtain of pink topped with a cute little beanie falling next to her cheeks. She blinked rapidly a few times, before the realization of their current position finally dawned on her.

Her cheeks flushed, and he knew it wasn't only due to the cold. "I-I'm so sorry, Sasuke-kun! M-my foot, it got caught on the—"

"It's fine," he stated, silencing her rambling as she quickly shifted from on top of him, before extending her right hand to help him to his feet.

Her palms almost immediately began to brush away the snow from his arms and back the best that she could. "I really am sorry."

"Sakura, stop apologizing." She looked as if she was about to do so again, but quickly shut her mouth, and gave him a sheepish smile instead. This time, he took precautions and carefully wrapped his hand around hers, holding her firmly before moving around her to tug her along behind him.

They were close now, and all he wanted to do was get her into a warm room and take a nice long, hot bath.