Unlikely Pair

He's her friend, her protector, her savior, her... familiar?

Familiar Sasuke & his Master (vampire Hunter in training) Sakura.

.
.
.

"Move it. Now!"

His large palm pressed into the middle of her back, urging her forward and Sakura bit back a retort while she pushed herself to move faster. The sounds of screeching could be heard above the pounding of her heart, causing her to bite her bottom lip in frustration. She hated to retreat, but there were just too many of them; even with her familiar faithfully fighting by her side... the odds were stacked against them; and they had barely escaped from the vampire's nest with their lives as it was.

Suddenly, in their haste to flee, a cluster of trees formed in front of them, and Sakura heard a low curse from her back before Sasuke was shoving her out of the way to the right; dodging the barrier himself by flipping to the left, of course landing gracefully on his feet while she tumbled ungraceful and unladylike before coming to a jerky stop. Debris stuck out in all directions from her hair, and she let out a low huff of annoyance. Her green eyes narrowed dangerously, and she turned to give him a piece of her mind when she felt a wind at her back.

Twisting herself just in time to avoid a razor-sharp claw to the neck, her instincts and training finally kicked in and she pulled a long blade from her knee-high boot, jabbing it into the throat of her attacker, who shrieked in complete agony before falling silently to the forest floor at her feet. Sakura moved into a crouching position to avoid a kunai that was flung from her left, but wasn't quick enough to leap away from the female vampire who'd jumped at her, claws and fangs extended as a high-pitched screech of rage left her gaping mouth.

"Sakura!"

The women tumbled over themselves with Sakura placing the blade of her knife into the mouth of the vampire who'd settled on her hips as they came to a stop; hovering above the pinkette while she tried to bite down onto her flesh with freshly bloodied fangs. Sakura struggled, and even though she was strong, one of the strongest women in her squad, she didn't have nearly the same abilities that this immortal possessed. She was still human after all, so no matter how hard she trained, in this position, she would always be at a disadvantage.

"Sakura!!!"

She could hear the frantic urgency in Sasuke's voice and clamped her teeth as she gave one final push; a loud cry coming from her lungs as she jammed the blade through the creature's skull roughly. Her eyes widened before her body went limp above Sakura and just a second later her weight was lifted as Sakura's familiar shoved her abruptly to the side; extending his right hand to help Sakura back onto her feet. She then realized that they were facing an onslaught of new enemies and took a deep breath as she prepared herself for the worst.

"Sakura, do you trust me?"

She turned to him, confused. He didn't meet her gaze, his focus ahead, and she swallowed nervously. "... yes."

"Then go."

"But I—"

"Go. I'll catch up. Move. Now!"

He shoved her protectively behind him... and back further, before rushing forward; meeting one of the male vampires head on. Sakura hated to leave him alone, but she knew it was best not to argue with him; he was more stubborn and ornery than a fucking bull. Plus, she trusted him; and even if she hated to admit it...he was an even better fighter than she was. Sakura didn't feel like she had anything to worry about and took off in the opposite direction.

He would be alright, she reasoned as she ran.

He just had to be.

.
.
.

Sakura didn't know how it happened, but somehow one of them had caught up with her, and one thing led to another before she had managed to thrust her knife into the thing's heart, then over her shoulder and onto the ground; leaving its corpse as she turned again. But somehow her foot had slipped beneath her when the ground shifted, and she had found herself plunging off of the side of a jagged cliff side; her own loud, terrified scream resonating in her eardrums before something grabbed onto her; bringing her to a jerky stop by the wrist.

She looked up, eyes wide and gasped. "Sasuke?!"

He barely caught her, his arm muscles straining as he held her over the edge of it with one hand, while aiming his gun upwards with the other; a loud cry following the sound of a gunshot as he brought down one of their pursuers with a single bullet.

He grit his teeth against the pain and holstered his weapon before turning onto his abdomen to pull his master up over the edge. With a low grunt, he grabbed the belt at her hips and hauled her body the rest of the way up until they were both on solid ground again.

Both collapsed onto their back to briefly catch their breaths when Sakura turned to him with a soured expression. "I—I thought familiars were supposed to be, you know...useful." The small smirk on her lips accompanied the playful lilt to the reprimand he received, and to outsiders it would seem harsh; but he knew better.

He knew her better than that.

Sasuke rolled his eyes and moved into a sitting position as he dusted a few specks of dirt from his arms... choosing to completely ignore her playful jab. "Hn." "Annoying woman," he added under his breath, helping her ungracefully to her feet; his eyes scanning the horizon as the sounds of police sirens began to wail in the distance.

They needed to move.

Fast.

"Come on," he said, interlocking their fingers before taking off in the opposite direction. "Let's go."