Calling for a Lifeline - Part 1 🔞

It's just a typical workday for Sakura and Ino at the radio station they own together, until one phone call changes everything. BFF's working together to save the day; what could go wrong?

Less sasusaku centered more bff Ino/Sak centered, but I wanted to try something a little different. Hope you like it. A bit 18+ due to language and depictions of some violence.

.
.
.

"... and that's what makes this song stand out. It is truly genuine. You can hear the actual emotions in the singer's voices; you can feel it...," Sakura says slowly while she swings her swivel chair around to hit a few more buttons on the keyboard behind her.

"Pure and beautiful. Simple as that," Ino agrees as she taps her purple pen against the desk in front of her with her right hand while adjusting headphones with the left. The song slowly begins to fade before silence ensues, leaving them sitting in a peaceful quiet for a moment of brief pause that Sakura soon interrupts.

"I couldn't agree with you more. Next up we have... the Akatsuki, with their newest hit single 'Where we are Now'... which will be performed live for the very first time during their summer tour!" Sakura held her pointer finger poised above the large red button and inclined her head toward Ino, who in turn leaned her back against her chair and placed both feet on the desk in front of her.

"Be sure and stay tuned because coming up in the next hour, we will be accepting calls from you guys, our listeners, and answering as many questions as we possibly can." Sakura hit the button and let out a loud sigh as a soft tune began to flow freely through her head set. She had heard the music twice and so she pulled them down from the top of her head and hung them around her neck before turning towards her notebook, reaching for her own pen lying next to it. She tapped it against her chin in contemplation.

"So, that's..."

"Four hundred and fifty two, give or take a couple."

She looked up and stared, blinking. "How did you—"

"It's all in the noggin'," Ino says as she taps the side of her head gently with the end of her pen. The pink haired lifts her matching, well-manicured brows and Ino lets out a small laugh. "I'm kidding. I didn't know it until I took a peek at your notes a minute ago."

Sakura frowns after she glances down and does the calculation herself. Her blonde-haired companion is unfortunately right. "But... that means we're down by twenty-nine this week, Ino."

"So what," the blonde huffed with a shrug while she leaned back further in her seat; propping it up on its back legs. "It's not like the 'boss man' is gonna dock it from our pay." Sakura rolled her eyes and sighed after tossing her pen down beside her notebook and running her fingers through her hair.

"We need to—" The flashing, bright neon light for an incoming phone call on their landline caught her eye and she turned slightly towards it; her head cocking to one side. "Ino, did you press anything?"

"Hell no, I've been sitting here the whole time."

"Then how do we have an incoming call already?" A look of utter confusion passed over Ino's face briefly before she gave a dainty, uninterested shrug whilst reaching for her thin, pocket-sized handbag; pulling out a small nail file from within.

"Beats me. You're guess is as good as mine. Just let it go. I'm sure it's nothing. If it's a listener, they'll call back when we're ready for them." Sakura was more skeptical, but decided to let it go for now and focused on her notes before getting up for a quick bathroom break. When she returned, the light was still flashing and Ino glanced up and sighed before focusing on her fingernails. "It's been ringing for like five minutes. Might as well answer it." 

Sakura sighed and reached for her headset, placing it back over her ears before hitting a few buttons on her keyboard. "Hel—"

"Hello?! Hello?! Is someone there?" Sakura pulled back slightly and adjusted her mic while sitting up straighter in her seat.

"Yes... who's calling?"

A soft sigh sounded on the other line. "Oh thank you god! please, you have to help me!"

"Ma'am, I think you've got the wrong number."

"P-please! Don't hang up!"

The woman sounded frantic and Sakura licked her lips nervously. "This is Kona-station... what exactly is going on?" The pinkette waited as shuffling could be heard on the other end followed by a tiny pause. When the lady's whispered response finally came, it left Sakura speechless.

"Please... I-I've been... kidnapped."