Dinner with Family

Dinner with family comes with many challenges. Especially when their families are only concerned with one thing.

Grandchildren.

An AU sasusaku SHORT snippet. Not sure where this one came from. Just another random idea that I came up with. I kind of see it as being maybe a non-massacre AU, but I think it could fit for modern as well. Either way, I hope you enjoy!

.
.
.

—Sakura's—

Sakura turned to her husband and rolled her eyes at him as her mother continued to berate her for working way too hard 'these days'. He gave her a half smile, but refused to intervene on her behalf... and continued on with eating his meal in relative peace. The pinkette sighed in resignation. 'Thanks a lot for the help, Anata.' She'd finally had enough and cleared her throat loudly, causing her mother to pause in her ranting, which gave her just enough time to interject her opinion on the matter.

"Look, my job is very important, Mama. I'm needed at the hospital a lot these days. I'm sorry, but it can't be helped. Sasuke understands this. So why can't you?"

"Oh hush with that," her mother responded with a flourish of her hands; and everyone at the table, including Sasuke, had to try hard to suppress their laughter as she went on. "We all know, Sakura, that you are one of the smartest and most successful doctors that Konohagakure has ever seen and are in high demand here at the hospital..."

"Exactly. I can't be—"

"... BUT... that brings me to my next point. When will I be seeing some grandbabies out of you?? Lord knows you're getting to 'that age' when it becomes harder for women to carry a baby to full term... let alone get pregnant in the first place. Are you just being too careful, Sakura? Are you still ovulating regularly?"

The young doctor placed her fork on the table, and dabbed gingerly at the corners of her mouth with her napkin before responding. "Yes, I'm still ovulating once a month and who has the time to conceive a child when I have to talk to you on the phone for three hours everyday after work, Mama." Her poor mother looked absolutely offended for a second, before composing herself.

"If it'll get me grandchildren, I won't call you ever again; or only on special occasions." This comment from her mother brought a booming laugh from her father (who had been a silent bystander for most of dinner), a small smile from her husband, and an eye roll from her mother when she stuck out her tongue like a misbehaving child. The rest of dinner went by smoothly.

—Sasuke's—

"So Sakura dear, how are you," his mother asked; her tone was overly cheery, but dripped with the underlying concern that she felt for her daughter-in-law's wellbeing; which had taken a sharp turn for the worse last week after dinner with her husband had turned south...causing her to miss a total of three days of work; being bedridden with illness for one and a half of them. The newest, pink-haired addition to the Uchiha family gave her mother-in-law a bright, warm smile.

"I'm feeling better. My doctor said it was just a mild case of food poisoning and with the medicine she prescribed, I felt better almost immediately. Mrs. Senju truly works wonders and I'm thankful she was able to help me."

"Good. I'm so glad to hear it! I know that poor Sasuke was so worried about you. We all were worried about you." Not sure how to respond to that, the pinkette gave her another friendly smile before proceeding to dig into her dinner. Her husband, who sat on her right, remained silent throughout the exchange, but nudged her thigh with his knee playfully. Sakura returned the gesture in kind, and smiled around a mouthful of food.

Mikoto wasn't ready to completely drop the subject though and continued on. "I was just wondering if the doctor could have been wrong."

Sakura swallowed and her brows furrowed in confusion. "Wrong," she asked as she placed her fork down to reach for her glass of water to clear her throat.

"Yes...," the Uchiha matriarch said as she leaned forward slightly in her seat; her full focus on Sasuke and Sakura. "I mean... I had just assumed that you might have been sick because of... well... something else."

"Something... else...? I don't think I understand."

His cousin piped in just as Sakura brought the glass to her lips. "Auntie here thinks you might have been knocked up," Shisui supplied, causing her to choke on her drink. Sasuke patted her roughly on the back... while glaring darkly at his cousin from across the table. The mischievous man chose to wink at him playfully, before nonchalantly taking a bite of his rice.

"I mean, they do fornicate like rabbits...," Obito interjected, causing Sakura's eyes to widen and Sasuke's glare to turn on him. "So it isn't a complete stretch of the imagination to think that because her sudden illness prevented them from coming to family dinner last week...that it could have been due to morning sickness instead of food poisoning as she claims."

"Must this be a conversation we have at the dinner table," his normally silent father sighed in annoyance; offering up a sort of reprieve after coughing loudly. However, no one... other than Sakura... seemed to even acknowledge him as the humiliating conversation about her and her husband's love life continued. Her face was beat red by this point and she wished the ground would swallow her up to relieve her from this utter embarrassment.

"I did catch them the other night in Sasuke's old bedroom," Shisui offered up; his lips twisting in amusement. "I'll give you props, little cousin. I mean... you seemed to be really enjoying yourselves." Itachi's brows arched so high on his forehead that they almost reached his hairline, while Izumi sat beside him forgetting that her dinner was growing cold; completely enraptured by the back and forth commentary.

"Oh...," his mother gasped, her hand flying to her mouth in surprise. "Oh my— goodness. A-as I'm sure you know I'm very for the idea of you having children, but please refrain from doing such things in my house, Sasuke dear. It's very disrespectful behavior and there are plenty of other places that would work better for such... activities."

"When has he ever been the respectful one, Mikoto," Obito stated as he snorted indignantly. "The two of them used to do so much more when they were youn— OUCH!" Sasuke had kicked the man underneath the table in his kneecaps, causing Obito to howl in pain and curse loudly. His mother looked between the two before focusing her attention back on her youngest son.

"Sasuke dear, care to explain yourself? Is this true? What exactly have you two done in my house? Have you been unsafe this whole time? Have you been—"

"If you want grandchildren anytime soon, Okaasan... let's drop the subject, hmm." His mother's eyes widened briefly, before she looked down at her food; practically shoveling it into her mouth as quickly as she could.

His brother smirked from across the table, while Izumi hid her smile behind a napkin. Shisui and Obito snorted before howling in laughter, and his Father looked just as confused as ever. The rest of dinner went smoothly.