Resting on the Road

A sasusaku SHORT snippet. No description really for this one. Just a random thought/idea turned into a fanfic told in Sasuke's POV.

.
.
.

They'd been traveling for three weeks, two days, and nine hours; over half of which had been spent traveling on foot. Navigating the different terrains of Konohagakure and the surrounding lands had been a breeze... for Sasuke that is.

By the end of the day though, Haruno Sakura was typically exhausted, which forced him (most of the time) to take first watch or to take care of whatever their needs were at the time. Not that he minded however. He actually found their routine to be mundane, but a surprisingly pleasant affair.

Even if his companion was less than enthusiastic about his chronically "early riser; get up and move" ritual. Hours after settling for an afternoon rest, he found that Sakura's fallen asleep next to him, slowly sliding from her sitting position by the tree until her head came to rest on his shoulder. He had been trying to read a scroll and paused; thinking.

In the past, he would have grimaced.

In the past, he would have shrugged or even pushed her away.

In the past, he would've crossed his arms and stomped his foot childishly; openly showing his displeasure, even if she hadn't meant to do it.

But now—

He didn't push or shove her away.

He didn't stomp his foot.

He didn't grimace.

Instead, Sasuke found himself unconsciously adjusting his posture to accommodate her frame, holding her upright as her head tucked more comfortably on his shoulder. She let out a sigh of pure contentment; nuzzling against him.

Carefully, and so as not to disturbed her, he tilted his head, leaning his body against her a bit before continuing on with his scroll. Birds chirped a calming melody somewhere off in the distance.

He smiled, the act barely perceptible, as he sank against the bark of the tree he'd been resting on; finally and truly content to be in the presence of someone precious to him after such a long, long time.