Mission Gone Awry

Sasuke travels back in time by accident during a troubling mission, but he soon finds that not all is as it seems.

A short snippet of a time-travel/alternate universe Sasusaku AU. I might expand this at some point...

.
.
.

Leaping through tree branches, hidden by shadows, a young ninja watches for days on end, desperately trying to figure out how to make his way back home.

Much like how today started... until he came across them—

He observed in silence as his young doppelganger (innocent as it seemed) sauntered confidently over to his disgruntled-looking teammate, who mumbled animatedly at a familiar blonde-haired knucklehead, who appeared as if he would fall asleep from utter boredom at any moment.

He watched intently as his younger self bent down behind the woman and whispered something in the pinkette's ear while his hands rested casually in his pockets; his lips blossomed into a wide smirk at his own, apparently amusing, commentary.

But just a second later—

SLAP!

An angry pink-haired kunoichi stormed off moments after, with her tight fists held tensely at her sides as she muttered furiously under her breath; her cheeks aflame with a mixture of embarrassment and fury.

To say that Uchiha Sasuke was stunned, would be an understatement. He turned his head in shocked disbelief after watching his future wife walk away as his younger self only chuckled, rubbing his stinging cheek, with a slightly annoyed looking Naruto 'No... Menma. Yes, that's his name in this universe.' Their conversation soon reached his ears.

"Why do you have to tease her like that, Sasuke?"

His counterpart snorted and lifted the hand from his red flaming cheek to scratch at the back of his spiky haired scalp. "What can I say, Menma. She's taken aback by my... charm and wit."

Menma rolled his cerulean eyes before shaking his head with a disapproving sigh. "And the nickname?"

"She's fiery— like a tigress."

"But why 'Kitten'? Really, it makes zero sense." The real Sasuke could only look on in utter defeat as the two continued to bicker back and forth about Sakura who had long since disappeared during their 'sibling squabble'. Sasuke shook his head and soundlessly huffed through his nostrils; his patience already thin.

His time here in this alternate universe couldn't end soon enough.