The First Letter

Blank period, Sasuke and Sakura, where Sasuke is the one to take the initiative into a relationship by being the first one to send Sakura a letter.

Cute. Fluff. Short. Sasusaku. Sakura's POV.

.
.
.

"Thanks for the help, Doc. Appreciate it."

"Thank you again, Dr. Haruno. You're the best!"

"Anytime, Daku. Don't forget your vitamins, Yui."

Sakura has been at her new children's clinic for nearly ten hours straight, and swiped at a small bead of sweat as her last patients of the day finally said their goodbyes and well wishes before retreating to their designated rooms for the remainder of the evening. Movement to her left caught her eye as she was finishing up some final paperwork. Staring back at her from the window's ledge, leading towards the dense forests surrounding Konoha, stood a hawk. But not just any hawk. Her eyes grew wide with recognition.

"Sasuke-kun," she whispered in a soft gasp, before quickly rising to her feet, nearly tripping over them in her haste to reach the open window. The bird followed her movements, unmoving and waiting ever so patiently for her to retrieve the small scroll attached securely to its left leg. She gave the predator a gentle scratch and rubbed its head before unclasing the scroll. "Thank you," she cooed as she held the paper protectively against her chest with one hand. "I wish that I had a treat to give you." The bird squawked and ruffled its feathers before settling; waiting apparently as its master had instructed.

She wasn't sure why, but seeing the rolled-up letter in her hand made her cheeks flush, and she used her free hand to fan herself as she made her way back over to her desk; roughly plopping onto her chair while nervously biting her lip. She struggled with indecision as to whether or not she should just rip into it or open it slowly; anxiety and curiosity mixing together causing her head to feel light and her belly to feel slightly nauseous.

'Fuck it.'

She grasped the strings binding it and pulled, watching in fascination as it unraveled slightly from its tight bonds. She placed the string to the side and began to unroll the letter, surprise raising her brows when she saw its contents. Only a few words were written with care in a beautiful script and of course that didn't surprise her... Sasuke Uchiha was a man of few words after all.

What did however was the small, marginally flattened sprig from a Sakura tree wrapped carefully between its folds, its vibrant colors still lustrously radiating in the soft glow from the afternoon's final rays of light streaming in her window. Sakura brought the soft pedals up to her nose and sniffed, sighing contentedly while her cheeks burned hotter.

She read the letter again, bringing the flower to her chest; closer to her heart.

Thinking of you.
                  Sasuke

With her heart a flutter, Sakura turned and gazed out the window; smiling. Never had she felt so happy. Never had she felt so loved by him. She quickly reached for her own pen and paper after carefully putting her flower and letter to the side; intent on writing him back just as the remaining sunlight began to sink beyond the horizon.