The First Dance

"Will you dance with me, Uchiha?"

"I thought you would never ask."

A sasusaku short snippet (might turn into a full fic later). I put a description of my ideas for it at the end. Ice skating champion Sakura & her annoying neighbor Sasuke.

.
.
.

Sakura felt the ice beneath her blade as she stretched her arms on either side of her...pink cheeks flush and right leg outstretched as she slid across the frozen surface with the grace and poise of an angel gliding on air.

When she lifted up, her core tightened, muscles tensing up as she quickly brought her arms close to her body; her foot pushed itself off of the ice before gracefully sliding next to the stationary one, propelling her into a compact spin.

The winter landscape went by at blinding speeds, causing her stomach to roll uncomfortably and she closed her eyes while taking in a deep breath; willing the nauseous feeling to dissipate... so that she could successfully land the next jump.

Tomorrow was her "big moment"... her "time to shine"... as Tsunade-sama, her ice-skating coach of three years would say, meticulously and at every possible opportunity; drilling it repeatedly into her brain. It was also Christmas Eve...the pink-haired's least favorite day of the year.

Not wanting to dampen her spirits though with thoughts of her mother walking out on her when she was six... Sakura shook her head to clear it and tightened her form, bending slightly at the knee in order to prepare herself for the jump. But as soon as she got ready to spring upward—

"Hey, Haruno, what the hell are you doing out there?"

Sakura jerked to a sudden stop and spun at the sound, but the forward momentum caused her left blade to get caught beneath her right... and her eyes widened as she began to tumble (as if in slow motion) to the ice below. With a grunt, the pink-haired hit its smooth surface with a low thump and a hiss slipped between her clenched teeth as a sharp pain ran up her spine from her rump. She turned an angry glare on the intruder... who stood on the side of her frozen pond with the bare hint of a smirk on his lips... his hands resting in the warm pockets on his winter coat.

She practically growled, mumbling a string of curses, all of them of course directed towards him and his ignorance, as she slowly righted herself again, before brushing away the ice and snow from her pants. "Did you need something, or are you just here to mock me some more, Uchiha?"

"Mom wanted to invite you to dinner tonight."

Sakura rolled her eyes and straightened her spine, her left hand placed firmly on her hip. "I'll pass... thanks. I'd rather not be in your company if I can help it."

"Am I really that bad," the dark-haired asked with an air of innocence; though she had known him long enough to see the subtitle twitch in his thin lips, the tiniest glint in his dark eyes. Sasuke was playing with her, as always, and she felt her own lips pierce in annoyance; turning her back on him as she began to skate away. "Come on, Haruno," he called after her, the slight pitch in his voice changing from playful to something more serious. "It's just dinner. Besides... my brother will be there. Which means—"

Sakura paused and turned slightly. "Izumi?"

"... as much as it pains me to admit, yes... she'll be there too."

Sakura felt her lips lift then, as the previous invite sounded a bit more appealing now that her partner in crime (aka the only other 'none Uchiha' who shared her interest in teasing the shit out of Sasuke as much as humanly possible just to see the vein in his forehead thicken and his eye twitch with irritation) would be there. She had been friends with Izumi for years, long before the two had ever met the Uchiha's.

She missed her.

"Fine," she finally conceded. But when Sasuke opened his mouth to say something else, the pinkette interrupted him by adding, "But only because Izumi will be there. Got it." It took him a minute to reconsider his words, and she hoped he would simply walk away instead as he was known to do in the past, but of course... luck didn't appear to be on her side today.

"Just so you know... you're sitting next to me." Her mouth opened, sputtering, squeaking sounds of surprise uttered, and Sakura struggled to find the perfect comeback and the right way to protest this arrangement but he didn't give her the opportunity, and turned his back on her, lifting his right hand in a mock wave as he strolled back to his house just meters away from her own. "See you at seven, Haruno."

Her stunned surprise quickly turned into inexplicable anger and she brought her hands up, to let out a low scream into her gloves before throwing herself into practice once more.

.
.
.

IDEAS:

Sakura is a skater. Tsunade is her coach. Sasuke is her new neighbor (him and his family anyway... SS are teens.)

She has very high standards when it comes to boys & is fully focused on her "skating career"; whereas Sasuke is doing everything he can to get back to Suna & his friends. He's "privileged" & she's not.

He thinks she's a stuck-up snob, but if she doesn't focus on her "career" she will lose everything. She thinks he's a "mama's boy" and a stuck-up jerk, but he really just has a lot of family issues/drama.

He secretly likes her a little, as does she, but she won't even give him the time of day because of how she sees him.

Her mother left her alone with her father to be with another man. Her father tries to bond with her, but he doesn't really do well ever since she became a moody teenager.

Sasuke's mom and dad are talking of divorce, his grandpa (Madara) and his cousins have to move in when the family business takes a major hit causing tension amongst all of the members. Sasuke is having fall outs with his family left and right. He starts acting out... staying out late, smoking, drinking, etc. His grades also drop.

Sakura catches him drinking which is one reason why she is annoyed with him & doesn't like him (maybe they have a "moment" on their back porches one night when she takes her dog out where he tries to hit on her being drunk & she gets so annoyed she throws it in his face?)

Sakura teaches Sasuke how to skate and he replaces her partner who breaks his leg/ankle/foot? during practice one day. They skate flawlessly!

(NOT HAPPY WITH TITLE BUT I SUCK AT COMING UP WITH THEM SO— it will probably change if I can figure out a more creative one!)