Black Magic

What's shared between them that night can't be unseen, and their feelings become all too real.

A sasusaku AU snippet. Magic, slight angst, slow-burn. (UNEDITED!)

.
.
.

Knock. Knock. Knock. 'Three.'

Knock. Knock. 'Two.'

Knock. 'One. Midnight. Right on time... as always.'

Her long skirts flowed freely as she made her way across the small room, a tiny candlestick in hand lighting her path through the otherwise darkened shop; but the young witch knew this space like the back of her hands; the flame was only a quick thought made more for his comfort rather than her own as she made her way to her expected visitor. She quickly unlocked then opened the door leading into a back alley; rain pelting against the side of the crumbling building while lightning struck somewhere in the distance.

"About damn time, Haruno...," her guest grumbled before stepping in from the shadows, removing his dripping hood from his head to reveal a familiar head of disheveled, spiky black mess against creamy, pale skin. Their eyes met only briefly before she closed the door behind him, locking it.

Without a word, Sakura turned and he followed. The gold locket that hung around her neck grew heavier with every step she took and her heart began to pound as her fingers twitched with a growing desire to expel even a tiny smidge of her pent-up power. Even still, her outward appearance remained nonchalant, albeit slightly reserved towards her now frequent visitor.

Sakura led him through two more rooms before coming to a complete stop... stepping aside to allow him access first. The young warlock didn't even hesitate as he stepped into her room without complaint. They'd learned long ago that arguments between them brought them both nothing but pain. So it was better to settle on this "awkward exchange" if it meant saving their world from a possible perpetual darkness. Evil magic was threatening to consume them all, and Sakura and Sasuke were the only ones who held the key to defeating it. It was imperative they make this work; no matter their feelings towards one another.

He stopped in the middle of the room and stood observing, calculating then turned towards her to hold her gaze again. "Shall we begin?" Sakura gestured towards the makeshift circle in the middle of the otherwise sparse space.

"After you."

He sat across from her, legs crossed and knees just a few inches away from her own where hers were folded under her backside. Sakura lit the final candle circling them and sat down the matches beside her, turning to face him. The warm glow coming from his dark eyes was haunting as he reached out toward her... calloused palms facing the high ceiling above them.

Moonlight shines down upon them from the skylight, yet the thick clouds obscured it slightly; lightning flashing on occasion while thunder rumbled as the storm drew near. Sakura let out a heavy sigh before placing her palms on top of his own; her eyes closing instantaneously to hide her own reaction from him. She hated to admit that it felt good to touch him again, but she would never tell him that. She would keep her secrets.

She shook herself and let out another sigh, before huffing under her breath, "Don't distract me this time, Uchiha. I need to fully concentrate on this." His lips twisted into a knowing smirk while his thumb brushed lightly against her inner wrist.

"I won't make any promises."

.
.
.

Idea behind this one that I'll go by if continued:

Sasusaku exchanges memories in hopes to help rid the world of evil forces. But will they grow to love one another along the way when some of their memories that should have been left unseen are revealed?