Chapter 403 - Lava Sea

Nie Yan reappeared in Calore. It was the start of a new day in Conviction. He saw players bustling around the streets, discussing yesterday’s events, especially about how the sound of explosions rocked the surrounding several dozen towns and villages. 

“I heard Asskickers United found a large cache of Black Gunpowder yesterday, but they were destroyed after Bloodlust Blades ambushed them.”

“What are you talking about? I have a friend who personally saw Asskickers United transporting at least a dozen jars of Black Gunpowder into United City.”

“Then what about those explosions yesterday?”

“Who knows.”

The players were guessing wildly, while Asskickers United stayed quiet on the matter. Nie Yan felt yesterday’s events were a failure on his part. Even though they only lost five jars, he felt ashamed his negligence allowed for the ambush to happen at all. Bloodlust Blades also kept radio silent. Not only had they failed to achieve their goal, but even their guild leader was killed in the battle. It was too shameful.

Like this, the matter was suppressed. Even if a few bits and pieces of information got out, there was no one to give them credence. So, players believed they were only rumours.

Nie Yan naturally didn’t pay any attention to these rumours. He was satisfied knowing the manufacturing of the Goblin Magic Cannons was fully underway. 

Looking over the guild matters for the day, Nie Yan ordered Guo Huai to dispatch some elites to assist the War God Tribe in capturing strongholds. The more strongholds under the War God Tribe’s control, the faster the Nie Family could expand their business.

Asskickers United’s daily expenditures were staggeringly high. Fortunately, the several auction houses, Starry Night Potion Shop, and other shops were profitable enough to offset these costs. But if these establishments didn’t expand quickly enough, they would fail to keep up with the ever growing demand of the market. Upgrading a property, especially at the higher tiers, was extremely expensive. But a lot of the surplus profit was being sucked up by the guild. Although this might not be a problem in the short term, eventually the lack of gold would negatively impact business.

In short, Nie Yan needed to make more money, and do so quickly. The most lucrative method was undoubtedly by smuggling equipment between the two factions.

Several hours from now, Nie Yan could open the Dark Portal again.

With Bloodlust Blades eating such a heavy loss, Nie Yan feared they might make a last ditch effort for a comeback. However, he had no choice but to leave for the Underworld. This was the only way he could earn enough gold to resolve Asskickers United’s problem. No one else could go in his place either, since Bennett’s Journal was bound to him.

Nie Yan pondered for a moment. Asskickers United had operated as the leading guild in Calore for so long, not to mention they had the support of Sapphire Shrine, Holy Empire, Radiant Sacred Flame, and five auxiliary guilds. If they were really taken out by the enemy in just five days, they didn’t deserve to have a future!

Besides, even if Nie Yan was in the Underworld, he could still direct the guild remotely!

I’m heading back to the Underworld soon. Did you prepare the equipment I asked you for?」Nie Yan sent Guo Huai a message.

Yeah, around 300 pieces altogether. I’ll deposit everything into your personal storage,」Guo Huai replied. He had spent a great deal of effort gathering this equipment, having his subordinates scour through every auction house in the Viridian Empire. Nie Yan’s requirements were extremely strict. All the equipment had to be Level 45 or higher, could be equipped by any faction, and be of high quality with properties uncommon in the Underworld. There were probably only 100 or so items fitting these criteria in circulation on any given day.