Chapter 452 - Dark Crimson Gold

Nie Yan recalled the time the Hilton Stronghold was besieged by a particularly powerful invasion force from the Underworld. The fighting was fierce and lasted a full five days, wiping out almost all of the NPCs here. By the time players started arriving, the place was in ruins with collapsed walls and buildings everywhere in sight. This marked the turning point where players would replace NPCs as the main protectors of the surface world.

The NPCs walking around the street wore odd-looking garbs made out of weird scales and other exotic materials. With hordes of monsters flooding out of the Underworld every year, the residents used their body parts to craft armour. These beings came in all shapes and sizes, so there was no lack of variety.

After making some inquiries, Nie Yan learned from the NPCs that Great General Breakspear never stayed in the Hilton Stronghold for long. He would frequently go off on expeditions in the passages leading to the Underworld, often not returning for days at a time.

"Excuse me, could you tell me how I can find Great General Breakspear?" Nie Yan asked an NPC fur vendor.

"S-s-sir Devil Slayer, the general returns to the stronghold once every six days. He sells his spoils from battle to us merchants in exchange for supplies. He should be back again in around a day, so I ask that you please wait patiently," the NPC replied in a deferential tone. He was evidently shaken by the grandness of Nie Yan's titles, which few others in the whole of the Hilton Stronghold could match.

With no other choice but to wait, Nie Yan decided to take a stroll around the place in the meantime.

As Nie Yan tried to recall information about the Hilton Stronghold from his past life, he suddenly remembered there was a secret shop around here that sold all sorts of exotic goods, even rare crafting materials for Legendary-grade items. They also had a large repository of Tailor blueprints which popped out some good things every now and then.

The secret shop only sold a limited quantity of materials and blueprints every day. In the previous timeline, many large guilds dispatched people to stake out this place on the regular in the hopes of snatching up some rare finds. If nothing was sold for a prolonged period of time, the items would begin to gradually accumulate. No one had visited the secret shop yet in the present, so it was bound to have many great things for sale.

Apart from the secret shop, the Hilton Stronghold also had a slave market which sold slaves pulled from various regions. A mercenary had to be paid regularly, with late payments incurring penalty fees, and would leave once the contracted period was over. A slave on the other hand once bought became the sole property of the owner.

The system only allowed those who class advanced to purchase slaves. It was normally limited to one slave per player. However, when certain criteria were met such as possessing special skills, it was possible to own multiple slaves. Being a guild leader was another such criteria. How many extra slaves they could purchase depended on guild level. For example, the guild leader of a Level 5 guild could own up to three slaves.

Every slave differed in talent and ability. Some were completely useless. Others were master crafters, or gods of death on the battlefield.

Nie Yan could take advantage of the fact he was the first player to visit the Hilton Stronghold to reap some benefits from these two places.

After finding the slave market, he could have all the class advanced players in Asskickers United come over to purchase a slave or two.

As for the specific location of these two places, Nie Yan hadn't the slightest clue. He had no luck in asking the NPCs either.

Nie Yan suddenly recalled he had an old acquaintance of his in the Hilton Stronghold, Physician Blevins!

Not long after entering the game, Nie Yan had travelled to Lake Random and accepted the quest from Physician Blevins to collect Fine Silk. Back then, he was still a low level player. He wondered if he could find out the location of the secret shop and slave market from Physician Blevins.